• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diamond Manufacturing

TorkelH

Diamond D425

I don't know to much about this machines, hope somebody can give some info! Pictures are taken from the internet.

Attachments

• diamondd425_06.jpg
    diamondd425_06.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,849
  • diamondd425_04.jpg
    diamondd425_04.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 2,826
  • diamondd425_08.jpg
    diamondd425_08.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,837
  • diamondd425_12.jpg
    diamondd425_12.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,880
  • diamondd425_21.jpg
    diamondd425_21.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 2,873

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Diamond yarders were built in my friend John "JB" Leonard's shop in chehalis wa. JB had a fairly good sized logging company for 30+ years and Rod Hansen approached him about building yarders in his shop. There is still a Diamond 210 swing yarder unassembled in shipping containers at the shop JB owned (Since sold to ENB Logging, Ed Bryant). There is everything to build the yarder but since Rod went bankrupt I believe that the yarder is "Technically" lost and will never be assembled.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
The Diamond Yarder is a Long Story.....

We'd better slow down on this Diamond thread until we can get all the pieces put together with some good complete information on these machines. I'll even see about getting a serial number list with dates and such- RH probabable has that too.

The Diamond design process started in the late 80's as the thinning was really taking off. The original design and ownership team is still around and I can call and discuss with 2 of them easily this evening. The machine was owned by a group of gentlemen from the Marysville/Arlington/Granite Falls area, and the first 12 machines (all Diamond 210's) were built in a portion of the old Skagit factory at Sedro-Wooley. It was a neat bit of history happening there and I was lucky enought to see some of it. I know 2 of those owners very well talk to them regularly. Naturally they are quiet folks and I won't mention names without thier permission.

The Diamond 210 was the really popular model and lots of those were sold. I'm not sure how many, but I'll find that out. One of the owners had a large logging operation in Alaska as well, and 2 larger machines were built and sent to Alaska in the early 90's for testing, etc. -They were the D425 (shown above) and the DT8000, an 80' tower-machine. The machines were excellent, but the economy and other things weren't ideal and the group shook hands and went thier seperate ways.

One of those other original players was Ken Nichols, who then opened the used machiney yard in Chehalis and eventually hired Rod H. to help with that whole operation. They had the plans but only built a few machines- much, much later and in Chehalis as stated above by Hallback. McPaul may even have built one at Centralia...?

I dont know Ken, but I know Rod a little- and he's a great and knowledgable guy who spent many, many years with Ross and the Thunderbird yarder and loader group.

I do have all the old Diamond sales literature, ads, etc and will start scanning that stuff here in the next couple of weeks. I didnt realize there was much interest out there but we can nail down a good and accurate history here, as fortunately all the players are still around.

Hallback is right in everything he said above- there's just alot more back-story and alot that's yet unkown on this one.

Also- personalities play into it too, and as always with these things we should be careful as there may be people remembering some things differently.
Lets tread lightly on this for a bit.

IN THE MEANTIME- keep posting Diamond pics and stories. I dont want to burst a bubble here, we just have the opportunity to get it all accurate so I think that's what we should do. It'll take time but be better in the end. ALSO not bagging on Hallback, he's accurate on the Chehalis building, etc.

Last edited:

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Diamond yarders were built in my friend John "JB" Leonard's shop in chehalis wa. JB had a fairly good sized logging company for 30+ years and Ken Nichols approached him about building yarders in his shop. There is still a Diamond 210 swing yarder unassembled in shipping containers at the shop JB owned (Since sold to ENB Logging, Ed Bryant). There is everything to build the yarder but since Ken went bankrupt I believe that the yarder is "Technically" lost and will never be assembled.

Edited as names were incorrect. Apologies if I offended anyone as Ken is the one that went under, Rod was working there and I'm not sure if he had any $$$ invested or not.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Diamond yarders at Bruer Contract Cutting in Dallas, Oregon

Diamond yarders for sale (?)

Attachments

• today 067.jpg
    today 067.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 3,356
  • today 074.jpg
    today 074.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 3,014
  • today 110.jpg
    today 110.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 2,815
  • today 075.jpg
    today 075.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 2,808
  • today 070.jpg
    today 070.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 2,854

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
more Diamond pics

additional Diamond pictures from Bruer's yard

Attachments

• today 071.jpg
    today 071.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2,723
  • today 072.jpg
    today 072.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,717
  • today 109.jpg
    today 109.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,741
  • today 073.jpg
    today 073.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,726
  • today 076.jpg
    today 076.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2,737

TorkelH

additional Diamond pictures from Bruer's yard
I must say I never had seen the 450 model before, it must be some kind of angle drive between the engine and the winch? "Sorry" to start with such an atypical Diamond machine... I allways thought the 210/2000 had some similarities with the 78SL, and that it was a running skyline/swing yarder, but when I see the cab pictures it looks more like a standing skyline machine.

It is not so long ago I could find info on the internet about the 2000 and 3000? yarders but yesterday I tried to search it up again and couldn't find anything.

Great pic's Jeremy - I look forward to learn more about the Diamond yarders.

Last edited:

Roadswitcher

I don't know to much about this machines, hope somebody can give some info! Pictures are taken from the internet.

I recognise that one Torkel - Y3 was imported second hand into Tasmania in 02 by Kevin Morgan. He had the 'angry axeman' signwritten on all his yarders. I believe it is for sale now due to cutbacks in available resource - the situation in 'Tasi' is very much akin that in the US. Anyhow will scan some pics of it working down here and add.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Fishhawk logging from birkenfeld oregon had one that has been sold to Nygaard from astoria now.

JustLogIt

1299194180124.jpg1299194135424.jpg

We bought our Diamond D210 (SN#27) in 1995 from Ken Nichols.

I assume the model number on the swing machines was designated to match the horsepower (210 & 425). I also thought the 2000 model was nothing more than a 210 with a nicer cab and different paint scheme.

Has been a good yarder for what we've tried to do with it. Only real complaint is the transmission gearing. It has a 6 speed Funk transmission and is too high geared in my opinion. Wish they could have just split 1-3 and completely forgot about 4-6.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Diamond was trying to beat the line speed of the TSY 6140's when they geared the 210's like they did from what I was told. In the 90's speed was everything.

View attachment 80955View attachment 80956

We bought our Diamond D210 (SN#27) in 1995 from Ken Nichols.

I assume the model number on the swing machines was designated to match the horsepower (210 & 425). I also thought the 2000 model was nothing more than a 210 with a nicer cab and different paint scheme.

Has been a good yarder for what we've tried to do with it. Only real complaint is the transmission gearing. It has a 6 speed Funk transmission and is too high geared in my opinion. Wish they could have just split 1-3 and completely forgot about 4-6.

Roadswitcher

I recognise that one Torkel - Y3 was imported second hand into Tasmania in 02 by Kevin Morgan. He had the 'angry axeman' signwritten on all his yarders. I believe it is for sale now due to cutbacks in available resource - the situation in 'Tasi' is very much akin that in the US. Anyhow will scan some pics of it working down here and add.

Y3 yarding with Maki carriage

Attachments

• Diamond 640.jpg
    Diamond 640.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 2,874

Logger7x

I had a 210 that came out of Montana. Pretty neat little machines but I agree, the line speed is a joke. The drums turn so fast the line won't spool and it doesn't pull much wood after 4th gear. The whole geartrain should have been beefier and direct drive (no drive chain) was a bad idea. Easy to move and operate but a pain big time to work on. Oh yeah Ken N. was as arrogant as they get too.

dooby

Occupation
Gypo Logger
Trying to find one of these for sale in good condition is not that easy. How many drums do the 210/2000's come with and does anybody know the capacities ?

Last edited:

Boyd7211960

Diamond yarders were built in my friend John "JB" Leonard's shop in chehalis wa. JB had a fairly good sized logging company for 30+ years and Rod Hansen approached him about building yarders in his shop. There is still a Diamond 210 swing yarder unassembled in shipping containers at the shop JB owned (Since sold to ENB Logging, Ed Bryant). There is everything to build the yarder but since Rod went bankrupt I believe that the yarder is "Technically" lost and will never be assembled.

Is the 210 swing yarder still available?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
A few days ago I learned that the "ghost" yarder was never assembled and it has since been parted out.
I am looking for factory DT8000 photos if anyone has them.