• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diesel wacker rammer runs only with ether

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Have a diesel rammer from wacker, a version DS72y that is way past the parts availability days.

Any idea why it will start nicely with one pull and run for a bit with a small breath of starting fluid, but seems once the material is start fluid is burned away, it slows, and then stalls out. Maybe a five or ten second run time.

We removed the tank, checked for fuel flow (which seems kinda small but then again how much fuel does a small one lunger require?), no 'ocean aroma' in the fuel, no black residue etc etc, removed and checked filter it has no sign of clog or backresistance, refilled with new fuel, checked for prime on the injector was ok....and after all that: same as it was.

Exhaust smoke a little black then white then it stalls. Dont want to put too much of the start aid as we dont want it to kick the rod!

And it isnt too cold - it was around 55F yesterday.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Gravity fed or does it have a supply pump.??
It sure sounds like it’s pulling a vacuum.?? Run it without the tank cap on it..

Delmer

I'm assuming this is a one cylinder, so a single injection pump mounted on the side of the block, running off the camshaft. Obviously the one plunger is free if it's running for that long, and there are no other plungers to hold the rack locked in position, but could the governor be gummed up and holding the rack from moving? I think I'd let the new fuel sit a day, start it up a couple times a day, shut on and off, and see if it frees up on it's own, unless it looks easy to get access to the rack to see if it's moving freely.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Tis gravity fed, we tried the cap off .... good suggestion though.
Next idea is take a look at the injection pump to see what does or does not move. We recvd a text from a contact 'theres a slide on the fuel pump (we read this as fuel injection pump) that gets gummed up .... no parts need just clean the slide'.
Notice the word "slide" mentioned twice.

Delmer

slide, rack, control rod, whatever it is that rotates the injection pump plunger. or possibly the shut off linkage?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
@oceanobob it's better for the engine if you use WD40 or similar as a starting aid. Just saying.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
We abhor the starting fluid the can - use it sparingly. Never thought to try the WD. Sure dont want the rod out the side!

No time today to look at fuel injector / pump, hate to admit but we drove to the other job and got the newer diesel wacker rammer and finished the job.

Happened to be looking on the web page and noticed wacker no longer shows a diesel rammer?

Welder Dave

I'm assuming this is a one cylinder, so a single injection pump mounted on the side of the block, running off the camshaft. Obviously the one plunger is free if it's running for that long, and there are no other plungers to hold the rack locked in position, but could the governor be gummed up and holding the rack from moving? I think I'd let the new fuel sit a day, start it up a couple times a day, shut on and off, and see if it frees up on it's own, unless it looks easy to get access to the rack to see if it's moving freely.
Maybe adding a fuel conditioner or injector cleaner could also help free up the rack?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
The last one I worked on was very easy.. The hardest part was removing all the sheet metal and screws..
The pump was very easy to remove and install..
I would just go after the inj pump and make sure the rack(slider) was free.. once u get it out, u may have to apply a little pressure to the bottom (tappet) to get the rack to slide back and forth..
(that’s normal)
Oh, and check the filter assembly, the shut off lever can vibrate closed..
Good luck