• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DIFF LOCK 74 case 580b

Notch8

Have the diff lock knob on the floor it doesn’t pull up or down , all the linkages to rear end are free . Is there a special way to engage and disengage it? . What’s the procedures or position of it . up for locked or down for locked ? And if it’s engaged is it ok to run on road with it locked ?. Thanks .

RES

Engaged it pretty much spools the rear. So no hard surface driving. If all the linkage is free it sounds like problems in the axle. Up is unlocked. Also don't step on it if a wheel is spinning. Bad things happen then!

Delmer

there's a return spring somewhere, do you know where that's supposed to be? If it's broken, and internal so you can't see it's broken, or even if it's external and missing, you're stuck with the diff locked, and if parked under tension it won't come loose. Try to drive it around turning one way then the other while pulling up the pedal. If the diff lock is working, the front wheels will try to go straight forward even though they're turned, you'll know it when it pops loose because you'll be able to steer again. If your brakes work separately, you'll be able to turn extremely sharp by stepping on one brake pedal with the wheels turned, that won't work if the lock is engaged.

Welder Dave

On my tractor the manual says to hit one of the brake pedals if the diff. lock doesn't disengage.

Notch8

Ok I’ll try it again today I tried yanking on it and stepping on it both parked and moving , in gear out of gear clutch in clutch out , neutral , in high range , low range . Everything going to the diff moved freely. When I turn and have the bucket tilted to back blade or dig I can turn the front wheels and they just plow sideways . My brakes are buggered they work I think on one side only, one pedal feels normal the other has lots of play they are both locked together . Doesn’t make a difference when I unlock the pedals for stopping . When I back up and hit the brakes while moving it wants to tail whip the front of the machine to one side . When going forward and moving at a descent speed and hit the brakes they clatter and chatter and stop me but not very effectively. Or smoothly. Are they tied into the diff lock somehow?. Or could something be broken or fallen off like s spring that’s jammed up and preventing the diff from unlocking .?

Notch8

I guess if I butt up against a tree and push until I spin that would tell me if diff is locked or unlocked would it not?or would both wheels still try to dig being straight on with the tree .

Delmer

The tail whipping to one side when you use the brakes tells me the diff lock is not engaged.

Turning with the bucket on the ground tells you nothing about the diff because the bucket is taking weight off the front wheels.

Lift the loader all the way up with nothing in the bucket and turn. If the diff lock was engaged, the wheels would push forward despite being turned.

Sounds like your diff lock is not engaging.

Notch8

Ya no I can turn easy with the bucket in the air so ya I’m thinking not locked also