• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Differences between scrapers...

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Last two.

Attachments

• DSC06163 (Small).JPG
    DSC06163 (Small).JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 852
  • DSC06165 (Small).JPG
    DSC06165 (Small).JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 844

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Looks similar to the Cummins C150 or C180 in this Mack at Kiaser Steel's Eagle Mt. Mine in Desert Center, Ca.
:cool:

Attachments

• IMGP0088.JPG
    IMGP0088.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 866
  • IMGP0089.JPG
    IMGP0089.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 825
  • IMGP0090.JPG
    IMGP0090.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 834
  • IMGP0091.JPG
    IMGP0091.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 843
  • IMGP0092.JPG
    IMGP0092.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 881

mattyjc

Really intresting thread this one, Im quite new to the site but have been lurking for a while. I currently drive a few different scrapers all moving coal, so we self load and only use the Dozers (D8L and D9R which I also operate) when we are stuck! Currently we have 4 Terex TS40's which have a 32 cu yrd bowls, these are the best for coal handling due to the shape of the bowl and the ejector. The are just uncomfortable after a couple of hours!
We also have 2 637 series2E and a 637E which have greedy boards fitted to the bowl so have a greater capacity, though off the top of my head I cant remember what it is.
I think my favorite is the series 2, but all are good.

Cheers

Matt

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums mattyjc! :drinkup

petersfamilytru

Scraper setup

I build cranberry bogs in Oregon and I use a John Deere 762 Paddle Wheel scraper. There are bigger, faster, better machines, but I like the size and ride comfort of the John Deere. When we are loading sand, instead of putting my dozer in teh sandpit, I push the scraper with a 644B loader. That way I keep my tracks out of the sand and I'm able to give the scraper that little extra horsepower it needs to load out in soft sand.

Northart

Pushing scraper ?

You are definetly using the wrong tool to push a scraper !

You will pay the price in a premature, worn out torque converter ! Big $$$$$$ to repair for what gain ????

A Local contractor used a Cat 966C to pull a sheepsfoot, Silt soils for compaction. Cost him a $40,000 repair . A loader not meant for that kind of work.

The job repairs were analyzed after the fact. Wrong approach. Should of used a dozer built for the purpose.

Maybe this will , might , help . :beatsme

petersfamilytru

Wrong Tool

I would tend to agree with the "wrong tool for the job" comment, except for a few mitigating facts. First, this is a very inexpensive old loader with pretty cheap and available components. Second, the push isn't hard, it's more for traction than anything. We make short passes when loading out sand and the expense on an undercarriage far exceeds the cost of a a whole loader of this vintage.

Thanks for the suggestions... I would tend to agree with observations if I hadn't been doing it for several years on a specialized type of job.

Northart

Job Conditions ?

You still have to factor in the true job costs of having some one on the JD 644 pushing the scraper. Labor costs (Not Free) + machine costs !

If you continue, what about replacement cost of the (cheap)JD 644 ?? Got to think about that some day.

Just some things you got to address .

Best wishes in your endeavors . :)

petersfamilytru

My rusty, I mean trusty old John Deere paddle wheel.

Not much to look at, but it's been a pretty dependable machine.

Attachments

• John Deere 762.jpg
    John Deere 762.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,370
  • John Deere 762#2.jpg
    John Deere 762#2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,579

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Heres a few pics of the 860 we have, as well as a few of the other rented ones we have used. I'll toss in some pull pans as well.
Trbo

1. 860 brand new in 1970

2. 860 and 762 on road re-construction, with both TD-15C's

3. Hauling black dirt to cover borrow area

Attachments

• New Scraper (Small).jpg
    New Scraper (Small).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,117
  • scan0065 (Small).jpg
    scan0065 (Small).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,087
  • scan0017 (Small).jpg
    scan0017 (Small).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,104
Last edited:

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Here are a few more
Trbo

1. hauling in fill for pond dam.

2.covering borrow area for lagoon with black dirt

3. old td's and a pull scraper

Attachments

• MVC-020S (Small).JPG
    MVC-020S (Small).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,171
  • scan0018 (Small).jpg
    scan0018 (Small).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,061
  • cat and pan (Small).jpg
    cat and pan (Small).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,086
Last edited:

hiballer627

Sweet link! That old beast looks tough to run. I'd love to try one, but its rare to see anything but Cat power in scraper fleets around here.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Those are some good looking Deere scrapers there sure hate they quit building them. I ve run one since I was 14. What little I have run a 613 I d take the 762 any day on the comfort. I think the 613 has the hottest driverside panel and floor board around. Deere doesnt carry many part any more we have to aftermarket every thing Ballentine Chain has been really helpful. I also noticed that the hydrostaic pump for the elevator was the same as the hydrostatic drive on a 715 IHC combine. Dad bought one when he first started the private landfill for Belmont homes and we wore it out then the transmission went down when we were reclaiming the fill when they went out of the mobile home biz. Then Tiffins bought the site and we found a different year 762 with a weak motor and a bad chain for 10000 , but it had new tires. Our old one JD wanted 20000 to rebuild the trans and another company wanted 15000, sow we bought this one and traded chains and motors. The only times dad allows us to push is when we pick up our sawdust roads when they get soaked as the clay underneath is soggy.
Didnt some of the later 862's come with a hydrostatic pusher axle. A friend that lives behind the landfill owns a chicken farm I trade earth work for his litter spreading to save us Fertilizer. We built a pad for his new barn and he had us and had a borrowed tractor and pan and he couldnt believe that The paddle wheel ground up the soil like it did. Made alot easier for his little dozer to spread. and it compacts alot better.

Parttimeheavyequip

Does anyone have any knowledge what the difficulty of separating a Cat 830mb from a 18yrd dirt pan would be. I recently just bought one and have to get it shipped here in two pieces. Having never seen it I’m in the dark as to what it would take and if one person would be able to do it themselves or if it would take two people to get the job done. Any info would be appreciated.