• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Different transmission configurations

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
How many different manual shift transmission configurations are out there? No light truck or automotive, nor any twin gearbox set ups. Only ones I am familiar with are 8, 9, 10, 13, 15, 18, and I think I've heard of a 22 speed, or maybe that was my bike? I know there are several variations of some, but how many can you name?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I'm a big fan of an 8LL in a tandem dump configuration. You get good highway speed, while being able to pull out of a bad hole loaded. 18 is the popular choice with log haulers. I have not really come across many 15 speeds in newer trucks. I remember a few with the big gear towards the dash, but mostly with the switch on the dash for deep reduction. We have one truck with a 9 speed. to me it's just a ten speed that you don't go into the low position for the first gear on the high side. I think 13s have a lot of variations. I remember the ones with the big round chrome selector with lo intermediate and direct. as well as the 13 over

BC Placer gold

New to an 8LL but seems easy to shift and really creeps in lo....not sure about our highway speed yet. Found the line set ticket and it shows a rear ratio of 5.38 (mistakenly thought it was a 4.xx)

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Mack had a lot of interesting transmissions. The ones I have driven anyway were set up quite differently than a Roadranger.

Truck Shop

I have not really come across many 15 speeds in newer trucks. I remember a few with the big gear towards the dash, but mostly with the switch on the dash for deep reduction.
Eaton discontinued the 15 speed because of being able to handle the high torque output of
electronic engines. There was no such thing as a double over 15 spd, never produced. 15
speeds became popular with otr's because a overdrive 15 in top gear with 3.70 drives dropped
the RPM to 1425 running a B model Cat, it was about mileage. It needed the deep reduction
for backing up. The direct 15 was there but it never sold like the 15 OD.
8,9,10,11,13,15 & 18.
The 11 spd is a super reduction gear box 35.00 to 1, used mainly in spreading material.
It is a super slow gear box.
Double overdrive, early on there were only three that were double overdrive, RT009513,
RT001113 & RT0014613, with a overdrive of .62. But the RTLO18918B technically is a
double over with 1.00 in seventh and .86-.73 in 8th. Although Eaton does not list it as
being a double overdrive.
The 9 spd came in a wide variety of configurations, the strangest was the model with
backward shift pattern-like a OD 15 high was forward, 9spd B.
Really the big change came when the RTLO's came out in early 90's, High Torques with
tapered counter shaft bearings in the rear section. The rear section was the weakest
piece in all because of ball roller bearings and the splitter for high range was at the
rear{back of case on the output shaft}, and it's design was not acceptable with pre-selecting.
When RTLO's were introduced the splitter was moved to the front of the back section and
intersected with a sliding clutch to the auxiliary drive gear {rear output gear on the front
section} which was 8 times stronger. Plus the counter shafts with tapered bearing were
shimmed for preload which took allot of slack out of the gear train.
The other major change was adding the Halo oiling design. Instead of pressurized drip/spray
oiling of only the auxiliary output gear like on early designs, Eaton added the Halo { called
halo because it's a tube that goes around the input shaft at front of front case sandwiched
between case and bell housing. It is a tube positioned directly over the main shaft gear
cluster and sprays 50wt straight down on the gear sets.
Not much to talk about with 8LL's, those were designed for mixers/dumps, and that's where
those shine.
The 9 & 10 are a fleet spec transmission, for two big reasons. First weight-250 lbs less without
the splitter back section, fleets want standardized/simple/light weight trucks. Second there
is no extra air ops to maintain, less to get torn up.
Torque ratings have increased to over 2,300 ft lbs torque, with 2 1/2" input shafts, clutch
ratings over 2050 Ft Lbs torque.
Think about this--late 60's early 70's 1693 Cat with the rack screw pulled out, and lowly
RTO9513 hanging on it. That's all there was back then, my old partner in the shop {Gayle}
had 3 Pete's {2 cabovers & 1 conventional} with extremely fueled 3408's. A 12513 spd
would last about 150,000 miles on average before it became toast.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I remember a truck having an air operated clutch brake. It was a little plunger on the shifter. Push it down, and it came up when you let it go. Never drove it. Not sure if it was a thing at one time, or something custom. Only time it would be used would be starting out. Never saw one again.

Truck Shop

I remember a truck having an air operated clutch brake. It was a little plunger on the shifter. Push it down, and it came up when you let it go. Never drove it. Not sure if it was a thing at one time, or something custom. Only time it would be used would be starting out. Never saw one again.
Only time I've seen those were on tankers for pto/pump engage-disengage. Who knows
what that one was for.

Truck Shop

Installing clutch--I install with clutch loaded on the transmission input shaft-clutch fork
hooked over T/O bearing. With the wood/plastic T/O bearing retainer/depression left
in place. Only the input shaft has to be lined up with pilot bearing--goes right together.
Install all bell housing bolts, Looking through clutch inspection hole line clutch cover
with bolt holes in flywheel. Using a long extension and a pry bar to tip/lift the cover
slightly start a bolt go to the next start it, bar engine to next set of bolt holes in clutch
cover start those and repeat till all eight are started. Then gradually run them down baring
engine. Torque to 55 Ft lbs. As you do this the wood blocks installed on new clutch will
become loose and normally fall out, sometimes you have to knock them out with a bar.
Hook up linkage and set/ adjust clutch, normally it's pretty close with turned flywheel.
Reason I do it this way is it's easier than trying to push the transmission input shaft
through the two clutch plates, and it stops the possibility of a clutch plate getting
damaged from installation--it happens. The other reason--it saves getting hurt lifting
if no clutch jack is available. And this can only be done with the 15" clutch not a 14".
004.JPG001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Then there is the secret gear {Ghost gear in the 13spd}. If in fifth direct and needing to drop
to forth in the low range side--shift splitter to overdrive and quickly pull it into {Low}. It gives
a gear ratio between 4th & 5th. I've done it a few times but don't recommend a rookie to try
it.

Old Doug

Then there is the secret gear {Ghost gear in the 13spd}. If in fifth direct and needing to drop
to forth in the low range side--shift splitter to overdrive and quickly pull it into {Low}. It gives
a gear ratio between 4th & 5th. I've done it a few times but don't recommend a rookie to try
it.
I had heared of this before but forgot. I rebuilt several transmissions years ago and had good luck I can't even remember what they were now?

JaredV

it.
I remember reading a dash plate that said not to use the low hole in high range or damage can be done. I don't remember what the tranny was. I use it from time to time but try to avoid it because of that even though I've never noticed any noise. Was that just for a certain transmission or a wive's tale perpetrated by Eaton?

Truck Shop

I remember reading a dash plate that said not to use the low hole in high range or damage can be done. I don't remember what the tranny was. I use it from time to time but try to avoid it because of that even though I've never noticed any noise. Was that just for a certain transmission or a wive's tale perpetrated by Eaton?
The early models were capable-and yes it can/could cause issues--I don't recommend anyone
trying, for the same reasons Eaton doesn't. With the big power these days it's pointless. I used
it also--but in over, low gear is flying.

MG84

So what about sub-transmissions? I seem to recall and old C65 tandem grain truck that had a 5spd + 2spd sub transmission at my uncles farm. Also saw a mid-80's L9000 tandem dump with a 429 gas engine and a 5+4 for sale several years ago, clean truck, sold for only $3500 I guess because of the engine/trans combo.