• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Differnce between Hitachi EX and FH models?

Johnny Utah

Can anyone tell me what are the differences between Hitachi EX and FH model ranges, I know the EX has an Izusu engine and the shape of the machines are different but other than that I havent a clue.

Any hekp would be greatly appreciated.

Dirty Digger

I’m not 100% sure, but….

FH model numbers refers to the time where Hitachi was supplying Fiat with excavators (Fiat-Hitachi, before New Holland got into bed with Kobelco).

When Hitachi went it alone in Europe, some of the old FH models simply got EX designations, but I suspect the majority were changed to EX specification as Tier 2 engines were fitted.

Current models are ZX, with Tier 3 emission engines.

Across all three model ranges Izuzu engines are fitted, but obviously very different engine technologies to meet the increasingly stringent emission regulations.

Johnny English

Occupation
Contracts manager, Civil Engineering contractor
Our 2002 EX135 has a 3.3 litre cummins in it and a load of eletrical gubbins in it. Our EX is part made by Kobelco, New Holland, Fiat and Hitachi. We get back up from HM plant Hitachi, and spares, parts and manuals from Kobelco New Holland.

The EX machines were the cross over machines where all the manufactures were swapping about. The EX machines are a pain in the ring to maintaine because of this.

The cummins motor in ours is powerful for its size and digs well, but any electrical faults and it is a nightmare.

special tool

Our 2002 EX135 has a 3.3 litre cummins in it and a load of eletrical gubbins in it. Our EX is part made by Kobelco, New Holland, Fiat and Hitachi. We get back up from HM plant Hitachi, and spares, parts and manuals from Kobelco New Holland.

The EX machines were the cross over machines where all the manufactures were swapping about. The EX machines are a pain in the ring to maintaine because of this.

The cummins motor in ours is powerful for its size and digs well, but any electrical faults and it is a nightmare.

That's right!
I had an EX Higuchi - worst machine I ever had: ANY type of machine.
Some genius had been to "turning up" the extremely adjustable control valve - a guy who should have put the tools down and slowly stepped away from the machine, if you know what I mean.

YES, it had suffered the "slow-hand" mechanic, but we were UNABLE to put it right, despite MUCH effort from dedicated and serious mechanics.;)