• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digging Pond

CIWS14

Bare with me here as I am a hobbyist with my backhoe and not a pro like you all. :notworthy I have been working on digging my pond for the latter part of the summer and continuing as we speak. I have been able to keep the water level down so I can continue to dig pretty well. I am working on the deepest part right now and my pumps cannot keep up with the water. I am affraid to submerge my digging bucket to continue to dig. I've heard people say since the hydraulic system is pressurized, water cannot leach into the system. I've heard people tell me not to do it. :spaz My bucket cylinder has a small weep and it makes me nervous to dig with it underwater.

I need some honest opinons on this matter from some of you if you would please. Is it safe to dig underwater or not?

Thanks again.
CIWS

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!!:drinkup

It's done all the time. Some machines spend their entire lives dredging in water. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

334 lawn co

Occupation
surplusonthe.net equipment auctions
i wouldnt worry about it- itll be fine

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Keep digging.

Welcome to HEF! :drinkup

rino1494

Why not get the water under control first so that you can see what you are digging.

CIWS14

Pond

I have kept the water under control for the most part, but the last 4 feet has several springs and my pumps cannot keep up. Luckly my neighbor's property has a creek running through it and I can pump into that. Any suggestions on keeping springs dry so I can finish? I've heard of people driving several shallow wells with points and pumping from them. I have all sand in this area and I think the driving would be easy, (weather permitting). But I imagine I would need a lot of shallow wells.