• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

digging post holes

case310350

Have an older model bobcat auger set up, chain drive. Have had several post hole jobs and works good for most jobs. But on some holes the auger will stop and I can't get past the rock that prevents me from going deeper. So do the newer unit just power past most rocks? need tips or techniques to get past the rocks. Happens more as you go up in size

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Have an older model bobcat auger set up, chain drive. Have had several post hole jobs and works good for most jobs. But on some holes the auger will stop and I can't get past the rock that prevents me from going deeper. So do the newer unit just power past most rocks? need tips or techniques to get past the rocks. Happens more as you go up in size

There are augers specially made for heavy rock conditions, and yes they are expensive. I always thought that the bigger diameter augers handled rock better. More room between the flighting to get the rock out. I just go real slow in heavy rock on the down pressue but keep the auger spinning as fast as it can. The relief setting is what causes the auger to stop. That is there to protect the attachment and the skid steer. It can be altered though.

Hendrik

Depending on the size of the rock, sometimes they can be gotten out with an auger but usually it's crowbar time. Depending on circumstances you can try going to a bigger auger to see if it will pull out the rock or expose it enough to be able to be hand removed.
In extreme cases an excavator with a rock breaker is the only way to go.

gabelmatt

Occupation
Mini Excavator Owner/Operator
Try to go back and forth and hook the rock with the end of the auger and lift out. I can usually pull any rock out with mine on my skid steer no a problem just takes a bit of tie working at it.

ikold

Carbide auger bit

We drill into hard caliche allot. Find that when it gets rocky and nasty that a 9" carbide rock bit spinning fast with moderate down pressure does surprisingly well. Otherwise we have to break out a rock drill which is no fun and eats a day.