• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digging Techniques?

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
OK now that I have a TLB and have used it a little I know I can use some pointers on how to get the most out of it without breaking something. So any tips from you guys who do know what you are doing? JCB 3CIII.

Thanks

Rick

Last edited:

davidd

Occupation
www.paulowniatrees.com
Well one thing comes to mind. Keep your machine at idle until you learn some more about it. I do most all digging with the rear bucket at idle.
But for front bucket pushing and loading I shoot the juice.

Tell us a little about the machine. How it is equipted etc.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
The idle part I got figured out....LOL kinda had too. I did have to pump it up getting a stump out while cutting through the roots (red oak).

OK af far as equiped...open station with a canopey. Front bucket is 1 1/4 yd rear bucker is 24" 2 wheel drive. 2 stick control for the hoe, single for the loader.

Need some wiring fixed and needs operating light. Going to need one new front tire sometime in the next couple of months. No plans to take it off the farm anytime soon and we will have freeze up here in the next 6-8 weeks if not sooner. I'm going to make a quick tach mount on the front bucket for my bale fork and feed bales with it this winter.

Rick

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
You just need to spend some time with it like we all did.You will see right away that performing two or more functions at the same time smooths things out quite a bit but rev it up to half throttle at least while you are working it other wise you will have to learn all over again when you do:)Ron G

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Sounds like you're doing some clearing. Be very careful handling downed trees and brush, it can spring loose and end up in the cab with you causing injury or worse! Even popping stumps can be hazardous, a root snapping under pressure can become a projectile. Try to set yourself at a slight angle to the stump so you're out of the line of fire.

mitch504

Wow, our founder fell for a revived thread!
Good point though, Steve.

I pulled a big stump where I was gonna put a pipe in a swamp one cold morning. When the stump suddenly came free, it flipped up against the swing tower, and the water moccasin (very venomous) that was in the roots flipped up and landed across my ankles! I am not scared of snakes, and he was way too cold to move, but my helper swore I was on the ground in front of the machine before all the mud landed!

AzIron

I hate snakes and you should see what happens when I dig through a rattlesnake den basically a bunch of snakes die

mitch504

When I was a teenager I stuck the loader bucket under the edge of an old oak cattle loading ramp we were going to move. My father was standing right by the bucket watching to make sure the nails pulled out instead of tearing it up.
He started quietly saying: "pick it up, pick it up, pick it up-then yelling- PUT IT DOWN, PUT IT DOWN, PUT IT THE F--- DOWN!"

The whole thing was a den, we killed over 100 diamond backs.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Large, 90 unit windmill farm outside of town that was put up some 8-10 yrs back...... Up on the easternmost point of the Allegheny Plateau... big time snake country. They had a crew whose sole job was to mitigate snake encounters.... and they used these guys to aid in siting the individual turbines to not disrupt den sites.