• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Directional Felling Grapple

getoan

Getoan, I've been working on this for a few months now, from the Deere side. At the present, we have the capabilities of Factory Ordering in a 909M without boom/stick. Pierce has drawn up plans for a live heel/FD750 combo stick which would come with their standard forestry harvester boom. I take it you deal with Ray out of Kamloops?

We are in the process of getting one of these units built for our inventory.

Yes I deal with Ray,would be interesting to see the Pierce boom/heel

Plebeian

Waratah have a deal with Trinder to market the Trinder felling head (as used on the ClimbMAX) as a Waratah FL95 . FL95 due to be shown at Vernon Interior logshow. A ClimbMAX is also headed to Wa.

South Star also have the QS605 processor grapple. https://youtu.be/9CAvyvvD8Mg

Drifter

My customer is looking to outfit it with a heel for maneuverability purposes. It'll have no effect on the loading of trucks.

Hopefully the boom you are getting made is shorter then the one in the movie. Stick a heel on the end of that stick and you will have a rocking chair.

prolog nz

Getoan, I've been working on this for a few months now, from the Deere side. At the present, we have the capabilities of Factory Ordering in a 909M without boom/stick. Pierce has drawn up plans for a live heel/FD750 combo stick which would come with their standard forestry harvester boom. I take it you deal with Ray out of Kamloops?

We are in the process of getting one of these units built for our inventory.

I know of 2 909k deeres down here that run a heel/grapple combo but switch over to a directional felling head. I don't think balance will be to much of an issue there are plenty of 909m's running around down here with 624 and 625c waratahs without any balance problems so a heel with the right felling head shouldn't weigh any more? and I wouldn't think the extra reach would throw it out much

This is my 909mh with a duxson felling head
20160107_153100.jpg

bmurray93

Is anyone using directional felling grapples to load trucks with? I have looked at the Satco and Waratah units and it looks like it is feasible. Was wondering how well it works on a mid-size log loader compared to normal grapples. Thanks.

In Australia it is common to use fixed felling heads that can rotate 360 degrees to load trucks in hardwood operations. felling heads like the the VHLC pulpmate, Rosin CF750 or Unicon Heads seem to be suitable.

furpo

I've used a few different falling heads to load trucks. I don't find the retractable saw box a useful feature. What hinders the use of the head is that they all have quite round jaws which makes it hard to pinch a log to shift it or crown a load. I find it best to load the grab a little back on the packet and tap it forward to avoid having to pinch single logs. Also using the tilt up to pencil logs is a handy feature.

I don't have much good to say about the Trinder head. Shame as there other products are quite good.

Loading with a processing head is hard work.

Roger