• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Do you need 700HP in your truck?

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I don't know of any new drivers with no experience being trusted by anyone with over size and over weight. To much can happen to quick and cause a lot of damage to cargo, truck and everything around it. There are a lot of cases of truck and equipment manufacturers not consulting with the customers as to what they want, like and need. Volvo is one of the best at going their own way. I just spent two days at Caterpillar in Peoria. Cat asked a question in regards to how many of us had been contacted by our dealer or Cat directly for input into product design and development. Not one answer in the affirmative. The Cat representative went on to say that up to now they have been terrible about it and intended to change it.

I have also had truck dealers tell me flat out when specing a truck "You only think you know what you want. We know what you need." Manufacturers have got to learn to listen to their customers. This shove the slush box down your throat is just another example of the previous quote.

Iron Horse

When i grow up , i want a Volvo just like that one . Well , maybe with some more wheels . :D

If that tranny is similar to the automated gearbox in my TGA M.A.N. , it would be awsome . It's a pleasure not having to constantly use the left leg to change gears . It will even skip shift if the load is rolling easily , it will sense how far the loud pedal is down and how quickly it is accelerating and skip 2 , 3 or 4 gears , nearly without you being aware .

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
In response to your post, #63... Iron Horse (Reg)... :)

:thumbsup :thumbsup

OCR... :)

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Our TGA's are fully auto. Tipmatic box.
Does everything, just turn the nob on the floor to the type of driving u want.
U have a creep mode and a drive mode.
If u want to do it manually u switch it to manual, just press the knobs on the stearing wheel to change gears.
A realy, realy, nice truck to spend the day in.
But i think the stereo system in our Scania 124 is bether than in the TGA.:)

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Use the clutch here to start out in the bottom hole. After That don't need it. My 10, 15 and 18 speed slide into the next hole without the clutch so no left foot needed.

mudmaker

Use the clutch here to start out in the bottom hole. After That don't need it. My 10, 15 and 18 speed slide into the next hole without the clutch so no left foot needed.

My thoughts exactly!:thumbsup

Iron Horse

does your's change gear by itself reg ? with mine you have to change gears although you dont need to use the clutch.

Fully automated Pete , mine is the same as MKTEF's truck's . Just a knob on the park brake consul , no clutch pedal at all .

To the other chaps , i was refering to the syncro box i used to drive . Don't try shifting one of those with no clutch $$$$$$$$$ .

On edit , MKTEF , someone had just fitted a new Kenwood CD player so Jimmy Barnes is all good .

Last edited:

Dualie

I hate synchronized transmissions. My boom truck has a 5+2 spicier and I just shift it like the 18spd. clutch only start out then float gears from there on out when it finally shats the bed im swapping an overdrive Trans in there anyway.

Dad bought a peterbilt 330 autoshift 10spd, with a CAT 3126 that was uprated to the "fire service programing" to pull his big horse trailer. That worked well but I had a hell of a time remembering to push the clutch peddle in when rolling to a stop sign. You would forget all about the clutch especially after a couple of hours on the highway without shifting

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
No need for twisted drivetrains if you know what you are doing.

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
Having driven dumps from 290, 315, 350, 400 Cummins; Macks 238 to E700 427; DD 6V71 and 8V71 and the 4 stroke DD; and CAT's form C12 to C16 300 to 500 HP, do I NEED 700 HP. No I don't, but would I want 700HP! OHHHH Heck yea! Higher HP don't make me go any faster than (in OH) 55 MPH! But my 0 to speed times would be shorter! I'd have the torque to keep up with traffic in city driving with close to of a full load! Less itme getting to speed, less time on the job, same amount of work done per tirp!

Iron Horse

Fully automated Pete , mine is the same as MKTEF's truck's . Just a knob on the park brake consul , no clutch pedal at all .

i didnt know they had a full auto. have you made any progress on the trailer reg ?

Sorry Pete , ive been working long hours . I am in talks with Lusty in Brisbane . They have a new deck widener float for 117K .

This is a page from the MAN owners manual , the consul knob and steering column wand is all there is , i hope you can read it . If need be , you can hold your control key down and roll your mouse to enlarge it .

Attachments

• Tipmatic ..jpg
    Tipmatic ..jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 727
Last edited:

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
Sorry Pete , ive been working long hours . I am in talks with Lusty in Brisbane . They have a new deck widener float for 117K .

This is a page from the MAN owners manual , the consul knob and steering column wand is all there is , i hope you can read it . If need be , you can hold your control key down and roll your mouse to enlarge it .

, gidday reg, i have been busy too, working cheap but keeping busy.that box is totally different to mine. have you gone off the tilt trailer? lusty/colron is where i bought my float, they are good people who make a good float, i am very happy with mine.

Iron Horse

Ive gone off everything at the moment , it seems i earn a grand and spend two on repairs . I'm thinking of becoming an Avon lady .:D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I'm thinking of becoming an Avon lady

Well they do have those snazzy pink Cadillacs.:pointhead

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
Ive gone off everything at the moment , it seems i earn a grand and spend two on repairs . I'm thinking of becoming an Avon lady .:D

i know what you mean although i am having a good run lately with breakdowns/repairs, i probably should not say that, dunno about the avon lady stuff, take a deep breath.