• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer Help

Trapper

Hello,

I am looking at a 1990 Case 550 LT and a JD 650G. Both of these have about 4300 hours on them. The 550 is described as follows; undercarriage - 16" pads pins/bushings,sprockets 80% good bottom rollers & front idlers powershift trans, pedal steer 4 post ROPS w/sweeps. The JD undercarriage is in about the same condition. The Case is priced at 19,000 and the 95 JD at 26,000. The JD was a one owner dozer and used on a farm I believe. I do not have much history on the Case. I will be using the dozer to clean up about 15 acres around the house and will use it to do clean up on some cutover land. It will also be used to do brush and light duty clean up at a couple of other 30to 80 acre tracts. Any input about these two dozers and brands would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

JDOFMEMI

Trapper

I would say if the extra 7K is not a burden, then go with the JD. It is considered to be one of the best small dozers available. They are very reliable, and it should give you the most for your money. It will also hold its value better over a long period. I am not knocking the Case, but I would definatley go with the Deere

BrianHay

I haven't spent any time in a case dozer except for about 20 mins in a new one at the demo grounds for the construction show this spring. I have spend lots of time in jd dozers though and....yup what Jerry said. My vote is for the jd as well.

alco

I have no experience with Case either, but with the experience I have around smaller Deere dozers, my money would go on the Deere.

Brian

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
X4 if your going to resale it but if your going to keep it and use it once and a while I would get the Case you wouldn't get your 7K out of the JD.

rino1494

We have a old Case 450 with over 20,000 hrs and she is still running strong. We also have a 1994 Case 550E that is a good tractor. We've never had any problems with it and it is a good grading dozer. The only thing that I don't like about it is the fact that it is just a tad to light. The tracks tend to spin a bit under a heavy load.

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
Definitely get the Deere if you can afford the extra money.

A Deere dozer will always be worth more in resale than a Case dozer even if they are the same year and similar models.

Now after a quick glance at Machinerytrader.com. That Case is only worth what they are asking, but the Deere is worth at least $30,000. Also if you look at a similar years of both models you will see that the Deere is usually worth about $10,000 more. And besides the better resale for a Deere the other reason it is worth more is it is a slighty larger dozer, 90hp compared to about 75, 18,000 lbs compared to 14,000 lbs.

Trapper

Thanks for the advice guys. The dozer will be a weekend warrior, so I am still undecided. Not sure if the extra 7 grand will be worth it in the long run. Thanks for all the input.

Best regards,

Trapper

smalltime

We have ran case equipment for years & they have held up great. Two of our Case machines have Cummins engines, seem to run forever. If the 550 has a Cummins, I would not have any problems with buying it.

DigDug

Both machines are great workers. I would buy the Case because i am a Case fan. I have had Case dozers 350,450 & 550 and they have always been tougher than heck. Good luck

JBL

The only thing I never liked about the case machines was shifting and steering between your legs. Since this one is pedal steer it should be enjoyable to run.