• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dressder TD8e lopes when in gear

ptal

Bought a Dresser TD8e, runs great but now "lopes" when in gear and won't pull itself up a hill. Well it will move some up the hill but then slow to a complete stop. Take it out of gear and put it back in it moves forward ut then slows again to a stop?Dip stick under seat shows over full when not running. No burn smell, clean in color.
Any thoughts? Steering is fine. Goes down hill fine but like i said it "lopes" on the flat.

Delmer

Sucking air in the fuel intake? Clean the fuel system, look for leaks. OR, put a pressure gauge in the fuel supply and check the fuel return for air.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
Sounds like it might be sucking air some where in the transmission / torque converter oil supply. What does its clutch pressure gauge show when it happens,? if it drops then its losing drive because the clutch packs are not getting enough pressure to keep them locked up. Might need some pressure gauges put on it to see whats happening.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
What type of injection system does it have?? There might be an adjustment on the pump.. unless of course its electronic.

ptal

The gauge does go down low. I will watch for that more closely to see if that is the case all of the time. Is that a pretty common and easy fix? Don't have any idea what injection pump I have, it is a older Dresser not many electronics on it that I know about.

TimT

Occupation
Heavy Construction driver/operator
Its not an engine issue, its a driveline issue, plugged suction screen in Torque converter or transmission, plugged filters, does the TD-8 have hyd assisted steering clutches/brakes???... If it does, check your hydraulic system, its a separate circuit maybe. I know if a TD-25 Hyd system gets too low, it will not move, sucks air etc.That system "on a TD-25" is separate from the "main frame reservoir" its on the same circuit as the attachments and will have separate hyd tank, suction screen, filter, etc.

R.D.G013

Occupation
The TD 8 E steering system is all run off the transmission lube pressure, there is no separate oil supply like the early 25s had on them. IF its dropping its clutch pressure it is probably starving for oil because of sucking air into the system or as Tim T says blocked filters or suction screen. A loose hose fitting or O ring on the suction side will allow it to get air in to system.

ptal

Where do I look for the the suction line and filter? Is it on the outside of the tank or do you have to dig in to get to it?

R.D.G013

Occupation
It will probably be under the floor plate, its been along time since I had anything to do with a TD 8. There is usually two filters, one a suction screen which is a fine washable screen and usually has magnetic strips on it to trap metal particles, the other one is a pressure filter and has a replaceable element in it, it is usually a lot bigger and could be mounted under the LH armrest in thru the side panel as the later model TD 15 Cs had them up there. There might be some people over on Red Power magazine who might have more info or try and get hold of an operators manual. Cheers

ptal

Will I need to drain the transmission before I check the filter and the screen or can I access them without doing that?

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Sounds like it could be sucking air as R.D.G013 said earlier. To check for this get a 'good ole' can of shaving cream and put it around the connecting places on the suction side of the torque converter/transmission piping. Then start the machine and watch to see if any of the shaving cream disappears. If it does then thats where it is sucking air.

ptal

I pulled the floor pan off today (been out of town) there is a dipstick there and it shows low. What fluid do I use and is this the transmission or clutch’s or both? What is the dipstick directly under the seat for?

g_man

Occupation
Retired
Under the seat is the transmission lube and shift hydraulics and steering drive hydraulics fluid in the rear mainframe. I am not 100% sure but seem to remember that the torque converter had a separate dipstick under the floor for early E models. Better check w/ someone who knows for sure.
On my G the Torque converter uses the rear mainframe transmission oil.

gg

FWD

That one under the floor pan is for the torque converter and it takes Hy-Tran fluid as does the one under the seat which holds quite a few gallons.

FWD

ptal

Is there a particular type of Hyd Fluid or will one from Tractor Supply be fine? Or should I go to Cat and get one. We don't have a lot of choices that I have been able to find.

FWD

You would use Hydraulic Transmission fluid. Just see what matches IH Hy-Tran usually I think it would be rated TO-2 oil. All the guys on the farm forums say not to use anything in the yellow cans at tractor supply, get the better oil. I think NAPA may have it too also your oil supply store.

FWD