• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Drilling tricks for work hardening

Welder Dave

Depends on the grader blade. Some are high carbon and some are a special alloy steel. The black looking blade in the 1st post looks like high carbon. Use lots of lube and try it.
As far as the mag drills, they are both top of the line. The Fein is nice because it's smaller and lighter (great for vertical or even overhead drilling) but the Hougen will have a bigger capacity if you ever need it. If you have a need for more holes, I'd buy them both. They're a fraction of the price of new, especially the Hougen. I would expect they must have some cutters with them or could be negotiated in the price.

Welder Dave

When I worked at the mall they had a smaller Fein mag drill with a std. chuck for drilling smaller holes. It was great because it was easy to carry when we had to climb up on the roller coaster or other amusement ride. A larger mag drill would have been a royal pain. When I worked at a shop that made winch trucks they had a smaller 90 deg. Hougen (or maybe Jancy) for drilling truck frames. It was awesome and would fit between the tires and frame. Went through high tensile frames like a hot knife through butter. Jancy is another good brand but I think got bought out by somebody else, Fein maybe but can't remember. They used a different mount from the weld on shank style most other brands use for their annular cutters. They were called Jancy Slugger annular cutters.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
All the cutting edges I've dealt with in the last 50 years have been high carbon boron alloy steel.
This steel has manganese, boron, chrome and silicon in it. The boron increases the ability of the steel to be hardened.
Once cutting edge steel has been through the hardening process you need some pretty high-tech drilling equipment to drill holes in it.

Blue-Fox

Occupation
Oilfield Owner/Operator
Well I picked up a Hougen 904 for $500 off marketplace. Came with one cutter but it’s 13/16. Got a cutter from Airgas since they are next door. I am looking forward to some time this weekend busting some holes in a moldboard.

Attachments

• 30507033-2763-4799-9692-8D2504E0B009.jpeg
    30507033-2763-4799-9692-8D2504E0B009.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 5

Blue-Fox

Occupation
Oilfield Owner/Operator
All the cutting edges I've dealt with in the last 50 years have been high carbon boron alloy steel.
This steel has manganese, boron, chrome and silicon in it. The boron increases the ability of the steel to be hardened.
Once cutting edge steel has been through the hardening process you need some pretty high-tech drilling equipment to drill holes in it.
I bet it does, I’m just drilling the frog to get all the bolts put in there.

Blue-Fox

Occupation
Oilfield Owner/Operator
Frog is probably 1050 steel. That's what Champion moldboards are. Should drill like butter.
It did not drill like butter in the middle of the board it’s so hard a new 1/4” cobalt drill bit won’t even scar it. Just boogers the tip of the bit. I’m not a greenhorn by any means but have not run into this type of work hardening before.

IceHole

You decent with plasma cutter? I've used mine to make holes. I'm sure the "precision" would give a machinists the sweats, but it got the job done vs burning up drill bits.
One project I recall was in leaf springs, putting holes for wear pads.

Welder Dave

It did not drill like butter in the middle of the board it’s so hard a new 1/4” cobalt drill bit won’t even scar it. Just boogers the tip of the bit. I’m not a greenhorn by any means but have not run into this type of work hardening before.
That's very odd. Did it drill fairly easily at the beginning? Were you trying with an annular cutter? You could try heating it red hot and letting it cool and see if it will drill easier. Annular cutters go through high tensile truck frames very easily so should work good on a moldboard. I wonder if it work hardened from a dull bit or cutter? I've had that before with drill bits. Any way you could try from the other side? If nothing else works but you have the outline of the hole partly drilled, then you could use a torch or plasma cutter to finish it. The nice thing is the holes don't have to be real precise just for bolting the cutting edge on. If the bolt fits through you're good.

Blue-Fox

Occupation
Oilfield Owner/Operator
That's very odd. Did it drill fairly easily at the beginning? Were you trying with an annular cutter? You could try heating it red hot and letting it cool and see if it will drill easier. Annular cutters go through high tensile truck frames very easily so should work good on a moldboard. I wonder if it work hardened from a dull bit or cutter? I've had that before with drill bits. Any way you could try from the other side? If nothing else works but you have the outline of the hole partly drilled, then you could use a torch or plasma cutter to finish it. The nice thing is the holes don't have to be real precise just for bolting the cutting edge on. If the bolt fits through you're good.
Before I got an annular mag drill, I just had a 3/4 and a 1/2 mag drill I have used most of my life to drill holes in heavy equipment and truck frames, oilfield stuff, steel buildings, etc. I went thru my bin of 20-30 used drill bits and saw nothing less than what looked like an angry beaver had gnawed the ends off what was there for tooth picks. So I went to town with my checkbook and got a half a dozen brand new cobalt bits each in 1/4” and 5/8” and jugs of tap magic cutting oil from local hardware store, (precision twist drill) brand bits. I got back to the shop and took and made a drill centering tool out of an old broken plow bolt head, and used it inside the cutting edge (with several bolts in the holes) to start pilot holes and drill the rest of the mounting holes. First bit drilled 3 holes no problem. Went up to 5/8 and while it stalled on break through it still made short work of the job. Maybe like you said - drilled like butter. I moved over to start on the opposite cutting edge working center pair then outward to the far left edge of the moldboard and right smack in middle of the frog, thought I could just throw a new bit in there but it was cutting good so I should just see how far the 1st bit will go. Would not even make a single chip. I took bit out and sure enough it’s boogered up so put in a new 1/4” bit and smacked the center punch on it one more time and go to put some pressure on the bit and I’ll be damned it smeared another bit - ruined the tip. So I moved over another hole and tried another new bit, never made a chip and boogered it right away. Had to check if maybe the drill was going backwards and nope, going forwards. I just wasted $60 bucks worth of bits so I stopped there and started looking for answers.
I since got an annular cutter set and a used Hougen mag drill to try to get this done. But the shop is full of Volvos with blown out articulation pins that are higher priority. Waiting on pins to get here…. ‍♂️

Blue-Fox

Occupation
Oilfield Owner/Operator
You decent with plasma cutter? I've used mine to make holes. I'm sure the "precision" would give a machinists the sweats, but it got the job done vs burning up drill bits.
One project I recall was in leaf springs, putting holes for wear pads.
The thought had crossed my mind just use the cutting edge as a template but I tried to get a tip in there to follow the profile and I would have about a 1/4” hole because of the torch tip offsets. Would need to make a cutting guide that would be bored for the plasma torch tip offset and then it would be cake to cut them out.
So for now I’ll just get these cutters in soon and see what happens.

Welder Dave

That's bizarre that it started off good and then wouldn't do anything but dull the drills. I'd try the annular cutter with cutting oil on some new holes and see how it goes. The holes that gave problems I'd heat up and let cool. I drilled 1045 round bar easily with standard drill bits.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
The thought had crossed my mind just use the cutting edge as a template but I tried to get a tip in there to follow the profile and I would have about a 1/4” hole because of the torch tip offsets. Would need to make a cutting guide that would be bored for the plasma torch tip offset and then it would be cake to cut them out.
So for now I’ll just get these cutters in soon and see what happens.
I've made these for on location jobs.
I draw the cup dia. & the kerf width, and then make a template to be laser/plasma cut out.

56wrench

One place i worked at we always used 5/8” through-hardened alloy edges on the graders. No drilling those. Oxy/acetylene or plasma cutter. Not that hard to do a reasonable job but the heat upsets the heat-treating around the holes and may lead to cracking or breaking. Occasionally i used to have to make holes in bucket corner bits with the same material and used oxy/acetylene. It was faster and less hassle

Jonas302

Here is a theory for you check closely to see if the frog has been repaired especially means you said it was to the middle it got hard someone may have replaced it with different material the old bush fix was to weld on a old cutting edge to replace the frog, some snowplow edges have plain round holes as torch and welder was much more available than good drilling equipment

I have added holes to CAT moldboard and definitely not made of butter and rightly so

Welder Dave

Champion moldboards (and I'd guess many others) were 1050 steel and an annular cutter would go through 1050 like butter. If the moldboard/frog had been repaired could explain why it's difficult or impossible to drill.