• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Drive chain for bobcat 553

ITW

Hi

Anyone know what type of chain I need for my Bobcat 553?
I broke the chain for my left rear wheel, but I live in Norway so no shops here with chains for bobcat skid steer.

I've tried searching but can't find anything on my model, but I guess if I got the size of the chain it's a bit easier to find s chain that fits

8V71

Those drive chains are usually industrial roller chain. Yes get the chain out so you can get size/sample pitch etc. If you can find an industrial supplier or bearing house nearby they might be able to help you out. I’ve done this successfully with Volvo/JCB machines hopefully Bobcat’s don’t use an odd pitch.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't have an answer for your question, but rather more questions, starting with how did the chain break? After all, they're in an oil bath, pretty much well lubricated. Was the chain worn so bad that it broke? If so, what about the other chains, would they not be equally worn? Did you have a bearing go down in the axle that caused the chain to break? Bobcat machines use an endless chain, no master link. Did some previous owner change it out to a master link chain and that's what failed?

IceHole

Supposed to be in oil. My machine didn't when I bought it.
No idea why, as I filled it and it never leaked.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Supposed to be in oil. My machine didn't when I bought it.
No idea why, as I filled it and it never leaked.

Well, if that's the case, no oil in chain case, and if that wore that chain to the point of failure, then I'm suspect of the other three chains. And not that only, the oil in the chain case also lubricates the inner and outer axle bearings by the sling effect of chains/sprockets. I could be wrong, but I think you have bigger problems than just a broken chain.

ITW

I had just changed the oil, the chain snapped on two no link that failed.

I've got the chain out but no shop here that has that type of chain, the ones we have here are not as wide as the one from the bobcat.

No idea how it snapped it was rented out at the moment.

Anyone know the name or number for the correct chain I need, easier to search the internet for an new one than.

IceHole

Well, if that's the case, no oil in chain case, and if that wore that chain to the point of failure, then I'm suspect of the other three chains. And not that only, the oil in the chain case also lubricates the inner and outer axle bearings by the sling effect of chains/sprockets. I could be wrong, but I think you have bigger problems than just a broken chain.
I don't have broken chains. I've put ~2000hrs on it since I filled it.