• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Driveshaft Cardan Joint

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The U joints on the front driveshaft of my 2011 F350 were making noise so I pulled them out to replace. I discovered what is called a Cardan joint between two U joints of the rear knuckle to form a CV joint. I'm thinking I should probably replace this while it's apart, it must be worn as well. I found a video on replacing one on a Dodge that looks identical. I've found a replacement part for earlier F350s but I'm coming up empty on my year. Do any of you have information that would help me?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Steve,

That looks to be a Spicer 1350. if your flange yoke casting is good, you can get by with a Spicer 10018440 double cardan cv ball seat repair kit. I can’t get that to cross to NAPA for some reason.

The U-joints should be 5-1350x if the bearing caps are 1.188”. But, There are a couple options.

Reactions: DB2

Old Doug

I was wondering how many guys do away with the cardan joints? If i find one in bad shape i will cut it apart so its just 1 U-joint then lengthen the drive shaft. I have done this alot and saw it was done hundreds of times.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Thanks!!
I had already purchased the U joints but didn't know about the Cardan joint until I started taking it apart. I'll see what I can find using those numbers.

I wondered about that too Doug. My '81 F350 didn't have the CV joint, just a U joint at each end. Anyone know why this is better? My guess is smoother?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
What was explained to me was that they are a constant velocity joint. Was told that as the U joint is out of straight line, the circle the caps turn makes the velocity of rotation get faster at the top of the rotation that at the bottom which can cause vibration. The double carden joints enable the rotation circles to always be straight as you turn the steering one way of the other. It reduces the possibility of vibration.
The second mine I worked at had some Ford 4X4 trucks and all had that joint. We were operating in the mud every day from the end of September till the end of May. We rebuilt those front axles at least every month and many times every two weeks. After the first winter all the mine trucks turned into Toyotas. The Toyotas were the straight sealed axles back then and would go the entire winter without issue.

Old Doug

Its hard to understand just how a u-joint works and once you do how do they last. I have worked on alot of pickups used in feed lots and none of them seem to last very long in the mud. Now their using Polaris Rangers they will not take the mud there like my old boss said about trucks "If you spin out then lock the power divider in and you spin out agin stop and get a tow because all you are going to do is wast money" The rangers are made for fun not work and if they were builf for work they would be to heavy for fun.

John C.

Occupation
No, these were a regular axle housing that were open just inboard of the steering knuckle and you could see the U joint turning when the truck was moving.

Old Doug

I always thought if i was a farmer or some one that relied on alot of driveing were my pickup didnt last i would figure out another way.

Old Doug

We did, we got Toyota pickups.
Warning dont say Toyota and farm in the same sentence around any of the shops were i live. My boss has some he hates us. The old strait axles were good but the newer ones are another deal.

Old Doug

The biggest deal with a toyota is the name may say toy buy they cant be treated like a toy or the fun is over.

John C.

Occupation
I've had three Fords and three Toyotas. The first two Fords were a 1964 and a 1966. I think those were some of the best pickups ever built. My last Ford was a 1984 with the 6.9 diesel. I really liked that pick up also, but diesel got more expensive than gas and my 1984 Toyota at the time got driven every day. The Ford ended up getting less than 5K miles a year. I let it go and have run the Toyota brand ever since. I've never changed a starter or an alternator in one or even had a dash light go out. Never been left stranded because the glow plugs would kill both batteries. Never had a wheel seal leak just because the rig was sitting. Always got 20 miles to the gallon on fuel. Got well over 200K on the first two Toyota pickups before the first got hit from behind on the freeway and the second one the moon roof started leaking. There are no ouble Carden joints in any of the Yotas that I've had to work on.

Old Doug

I would like to see how they test now ideals. I think they come up with something and after testing and spending alot of money they have to let it go onto production no matter if its good or not because their in to deep.
We did, we got Toyota pickups.
I was talking about using a tractor more or figuring out ways to not make so many trips into feedlots.

mitch504

The first 4x4 Toyotas in the US had dual cardan joints in the front driveshafts. I would have sworn the '84s did too. I did like Doug said on my '82, just make it a single. Never had a problem.

John C.

Occupation
My bad! I never had to take one apart. The axle knuckles were enclosed.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Well I did some math and between the cost of the parts and the travel to get the replacement cardan joint it turns out cheaper to buy a new driveshaft complete and just bolt it in. Bugs me to say that but it seems we're a throw away society. Fortunately the u joints I bought are unopened and can be returned. I appreciate the help here!!

A side discussion on Toyota pickups has developed, I drive by the local Toyota dealer almost every day. Every few weeks a truck delivers a stack of pickup frames and a second stack of used frames stands next to it. Rumor has it the frames rusted prematurely and Toyota is replacing them all under warranty. I can't imagine the cost involved in this. These stacks are about ten high and this has been ongoing for a couple years!

Queenslander

What are the Toyota pickups that you speak of?
The Landcruiser has a rock solid reputation for reliability and endurance here.
The Hilux, a little less so, but is the highest selling vehicle in OZ at the moment.
We don’t have the Tacoma in any number.