• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Driveway roadbed

33horse

Occupation
Cable & Wire
I have a small farm here in Florida. The 3/4 mile long sandy road back to our shop suffers from the heavy equipment we haul over it, especailly when it is wet.

Beyond building a proper roadbed with proper materials, can you folks suggest what materials I might use on top of the sand that might endure occasional heavy loads. Not being in the materials end of the business I have no idea what works or doesn't. This area of florida is all sand or Muck.
Someone mentioned coquina. Any idea?

mtb345

Occupation
heavey equipment operator
road material

recycled asphlat or concrete minus 4in that stuff binds in real nice and its everywhere

R Leo

Cement Modified Soil

You should research Cement Modified Soil or CMS.

I had a similar problem with the road to my barn. The area was about 10"-12" of fine sand on top of an almost impervious layer of clay. When the ground was wet it would pump badly and equipment with any kind of weight (ie Dad's 25k lb motor home) would leave serious ruts with the distinct risk of geting stuck.

I heard about geotextiles from a friend who knew of this problem and, while in the process of researching them, I discovered and decided to try cement modified soil.

While the soill was stil wet from a rain, I used a tractor mounted tiller to fluff the soil to as deep as the tiller would go (apprx 4") and then added portland cement at the approximate rate of one bag per sq/yd. I tilled the cement into the soil and then contoured the surface and let it sit about a week. It has no problem supporting all the weight we can put on it regardless of the weather.

I did another section but the soil wasn't damp when we started. It supports the weight just fine but, the top layer has pulverized and makes a ferocious dust cloud when driving over it. I plan to add layer of gravel to the whole road and hopefully that will take care of the dust on the newer part.

On the next road project, I'll make sure the soil is thoroughly damp before tilling and mixing the cement.

Here's a link to get you started: CMS

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
recycled asphlat or concrete minus 4in that stuff binds in real nice and its everywhere

That'll work nicely, that milled asphalt will bind just like fresh asphalt.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Maybe so but, the subbase still needs to be able to support the weight.

If it's in the budget dig out 6" put in 6" of stone or crusher run then the asphalt millings. I don't know if that'll be cost effective though.

33horse

Occupation
Cable & Wire
Thanks

I appreciate the good advise. In this area it's sand or muck. during the wet season we are 6 inches above water. If you dig a hole its commonly to build a house pad and an area to accomodate a septic system above water. and the "borrow pit" beomes a pond or sometimes a lake. Five years ago we dug a 2 acre pond that now produces fish. We did not stock it. Bass, Tilapia, and Catfish. It's amazing.
I'm looking into Coquina for the roadbed. It's mined here and is relatively cheaper than gravel or highway millings. Coquina is a hard limestone like with seashells in it. Weird.
The cement idea is great for my barn and shop. One thing we have is plenty of sugar sand.

Thanks for the response !!

thejdman04

If you were to do it right do it right youd dig it out start w/some jaw rock, then some grade nine w/fill or ashphalt millings to top it off.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Dayexco is right on.I'll tell you about a road I was building about 10 years ago.The entire site was running sand,when wet it was almost like quicksand--terrible stuff.I was placing 3' of shale on it and when I came back with the next load,my dump truck tires were making that shale roll.So I laid down a roll of geotek,then tried 1' of the shale.Next load my truck felt like it was on the rock of Gibralta--solid as can be.