• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump trailers, why does everyone love them?

Compression-Ignition

Anyhow. I love my particular style of dump trailer due to it's versatility. Having said that if they changed the DOT regs and came up with a light version of a CDL say an enhanced weight rating or towing capacity license I think that could be a good thing. With the advances in vehicle technology and strengthened materials the 26,000lb threshold could be bumped up quite a bit. Then you guys would have less to complain about. Or perhaps it would be more? ;)

Last edited:

MG84

Compression-Ignition, I do have to say thank you. Your posts over the past couple pages have Illustrated perfectly the caviler weekend warrior attitude that many (but not all of course) dump trailer owners have. I couldn’t have put it in words any better myself.

Compression-Ignition

Compression-Ignition, I do have to say thank you. Your posts over the past couple pages have Illustrated perfectly the caviler weekend warrior attitude that many (but not all of course) dump trailer owners have. I couldn’t have put it in words any better myself.
Cavalier...in this context I guess I kinda agree with you. I think I put a little more thought into towing how I do than the average fella, but overall yeah sure, cavalier.

I don't think y'all would like it up here in Montana.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
If you have not broke something on your trailer, I would bet your load is less than you think.

I snapped an 8k axle at the drop spindle, lost the wheel, tire, brake assembly, and piece of axle at 55 mph.

I have broken every lug off one of the wheels. Lost the tire and rim.

Lost so many tires in hot weather. Use 4400 lbs tires now on 14k trailers.

I have cracked 2 trailer rims From basic use.

2 weeks ago, I hit a small hole towing a 17k I motor grader on a 10 ton trailer (8 tires) at 70 mph. Got to the job, 4 studs broke on one of the 10k dexter axles, and it spilt the metal rim.

If you keep the speed down and can miss holes great. But if you are rolling in heavy traffic at 500 am in the dark forget it.

I upgraded to a new trailer with 2 10 k axles with singles, and an i beam frame. The rims centers are 1/2 steel plate and noticeably stronger. But I still shredd the tires even more so than the 14k setup. But I do max the trailers capacity out.

Last edited:

Compression-Ignition

CDL doesn't make a safer or better driver
My point with the CDL light comment is that it could change what we buy and use. There are a lot of games being played so that people can stay under 26k. There is no practical reason that a guy shouldn't be able to tow for example, an 18k or 20k dump trailer with an F-450. Besides the arbitrary limit of 26k.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
4 lane highway, for the 3 miles I'm on it I see probably 30 vehicles. It is daylight when I am on the road.
I get it. You will find your weak spot sooner or later. If the weight is not balanced right and you loose a rear tire you might end up in the ditch.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Lot's of good "talk" here! I'm thinking now I may be operating way too conservative with my Kenworth Triaxle dump truck. I've been hauling just 12yards of gravel at a time. But now I'm thinking I should be asking for 18-20yds at a time. I'm not going far, and will stay off State Highways. Any concerns?

MG84

Lot's of good "talk" here! I'm thinking now I may be operating way too conservative with my Kenworth Triaxle dump truck. I've been hauling just 12yards of gravel at a time. But now I'm thinking I should be asking for 18-20yds at a time. I'm not going far, and will stay off State Highways. Any concerns?
Might as well load it till gravel spills over the sideboards. If it has a decent sized cab guard be sure to stack the load out on that as well, just for good measure. No need to make more trips than necessary.

cfherrman

Reminds me of when we were fully loading this old Ford dump truck completely full, probably was around 60k gross. Not too bad for a 3208 5x4 and no front brakes

Compression-Ignition

Right, because everyone who runs a dump trailer is advocating for that. You running your dump truck day in and day out is exactly the same as me putting in a weeks worth of hauling over a year and a half time span.

donald-trump-face-yeah-right-o96d0r07zydcqzsk.webp

Tyler d4c

See how tall that cab protector is when ya load the bed ya heap it then ya heap the 5 ton cab protector then ya put on a touch more.

Listing to the story's of the old timers 100 some thousand hualing coal was a normal day. Supposedly the record is 148000 across the scale in to the one cleaning plant.
If your being serious you may as well be running around a tandem and not have to pay heavy hiway tax.

Ah the story's of the coal healers running the homercity 500 and draging coal out the mines to be cleaned always catch my attention. I'd loved to see all the macks and ford's and autocars with entirely to much loaded on them.
Any more they make the bodys to fit a legal load and no more.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Oh look, another Internet Big Shot with an F350.

They never come back and post the long term results . . .

77Ford

If you pull the passenger seat out and put a divider in there you could get at least half a yard maybe more in there.

That being said, I have a dump trailer and a single axle dump truck. Each has a purpose and each has pro and cons for a specific project. The DT can haul 10 ton legal while the dump trailer is around 7 ton legal. However by volume the dump trailer hauls more (think trash or trees) and is much easier to load with smaller equipment.

To me it's about using the right tool for the job. I can use a monkey wrench for a hammer but why not own a hammer too?

Compression-Ignition

Oh look, another Internet Big Shot with an F350.

They never come back and post the long term results . . .
Someone asked a question and I answered. My answer got a whole bunch of panties all twisted up.

Long term, I’ll be around. I am not a day to day poster as I have too much going on. But if something goes wrong with my backhoe that is out of my depth I would definitely ’try’ to use this place as a resource. I only posted recently as I had a $ tire choice to make and I wanted to see what the folks here thought.

Then I saw this thread and decided to put my .02 in. There was no intention to be “an internet big shot”. If I came across that way to you that’s about you not me.

If I live through my ever so dangerous decisions and I bend an axle, shear some lugs, etc. I’ll be sure to come back and tell you guys how right you were.