• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine developments

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
And to show that coming up with alternative methods to work valves in an internal combustion engine here's an example from years back:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_engine

kshansen,

The successful sleeve valve design was the Burt-McCollum single sleeve. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeve_valve

Developed by Bristol (Roy Fedden) first for the Hercules and Centarus aircraft engines, and used by Napier in the Saber, and Rolls Royce in the Eagle. The combined axial and rotational motion of the sleeve is very clever.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
infinitely variable valve timing and overlap. the ability's to change camshafts 1000x a min while driving. take your economy tuned motor and change it to a fire breathing MONSTER in .005 seconds.

I think that the compression ratio needs to be increased *also* for a fire breathing MONSTER. 30 years of variable valve timing developments in IC engines have only shown small benefits. Advancing timing is routine, BMW did variable lift.

It is precision motion at high speeds. One race engine cam designer says 'It's not eliminating valve train bounce; it's deciding how many bounces are acceptable... '

Last edited:

tctractors

I used to potter about in a car 20 years ago that had the Vario Valve thing happening in the boot, all these things have been done years ago, even Atlas (think CAT 60 first Diesel here) had variable fuel and valve control done with wedge's? the future of the I.C. engine is not looking good, the Tesler thing will come top line soon I feel with the Sun filling the fuel tank.
tctractors

1968 Case 580CK

Very simple answer to all these valve problems: electrogravetics.

As soon as this technology can be released by the corrupt govts., then it will change everything. Unfortunately, it will tear out the pockets of the huge oil producers, and the profits of the elite.....so, it will take a major world grass-roots rebellion to bring this technology out.

In essence, you are tweeking the components of gravity to achieve power/lift. Gravity can be changed by modifying one if its three components. Ask Tesla, Leedskalnin, Paul LaViolette, Searle, Townsend Brown, and others. By applying an electrical charge to the leading edge of aircraft wings, you create an ionizing affect which eliminates all typical frictional forces and causes a pulling affect on the wing.....possibly applied on the B1 Bombers of today. Even us garage inventors can create an anti-gravity rig by using an old pc monitor's high voltage output line to send current down a very fine wire to a small light rig which will cause the rig to "lift" upwards, while creating an interesting "cold" spot under it. Also, at night you wee the ionizing affect glowing and making a hissing sound. Now, applying this to an old Case 580CK.............

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
I used to potter about in a car 20 years ago that had the Vario Valve thing happening in the boot, all these things have been done years ago, even Atlas (think CAT 60 first Diesel here) had variable fuel and valve control done with wedge's? the future of the I.C. engine is not looking good, the Tesler thing will come top line soon I feel with the Sun filling the fuel tank.
tctractors

"Tesler thing". Well said, tc!

tctractors

jim D, the spelling thing is a bit crap for me as I border on being very thick, so its probably due for an A rather than an E in its name, a customer I was working for just the other day has bought 1 of these engine-less Cars, this man is a big iron lover who collects CAT's and anything oil soaked, he explained his reason for this not small £££ spend as investing something in the future helping towards the development of a long term answer to power the World, it would seem the I.C. power unit is facing the end game at a rapid pace.
tctractors

Dualie

I think that the compression ratio needs to be increased *also* for a fire breathing MONSTER. 30 years of variable valve timing developments in IC engines have only shown small benefits. Advancing timing is routine, BMW did variable lift.

It is precision motion at high speeds. One race engine cam designer says 'It's not eliminating valve train bounce; it's deciding how many bounces are acceptable... '

Thats where turbo charging comes in. Staic compression ratios can be enhanced with turbo bost. valve timing is trivial Im talking about complete invinate adjustment of lift and duration...

lantraxco

TC, not to worry, diesel may be in short supply in the future, as I hear 100 octane avgas is getting to be for the big old warbirds, but we have several hundred years of known supply in natural gas, so we may have some spark ignited units running forever, or it seems I have heard tell of some mixed fuel engines, start on diesel and run on mostly natural gas with just the tiniest whiff of diesel through the injectors to provide the explosion?

I remember when everything the world over was going to be run on turbines, cars, ships, home electric generators... turns out they're only really efficient when moving forward at several hundred knots to force air into them and even then they're horribly dirty throwing out tons of carbon from the incomplete combustion of kerosene. Point is I don't think battery operated will kill off the IC engine in our lifetime, maybe not our children's either.

Dualie

Cummins was the one doing the compression ignition CNG engines. they werent all they were cracked up to be. Westport innovations was converting Cummins blocks to Spark Ignited CNG also not that great but better than the ones that relied upon compression alone.

cw4Bray

TC, not to worry, diesel may be in short supply in the future, as I hear 100 octane avgas is getting to be for the big old warbirds,
100 Low Lead LL is being replaced with unleaded but we'll see some accidents very soon because engines will fail.
115/145 purple, Originally used as primary fuel for the largest, boost-supercharged engines needing this fuel's anti detonation properties. Limited batches are produced for special events such as unlimited air races. Reintroduced by Warter Aviation 2015.
Link:
Bunker fuel heating requirements
Interesting article - skip ahead to page 17 to read about the engines fuel.

cfherrman

There is a company that has cam less valve engines and they use pneumatics off a belt driven compressor. Low production expensive cars, I can't remember the name something like koeningsburg. Vvt systems are just cheaper and work better and are already developed.

I would still think it's the tech of the future for ice engines

cw4Bray

Two strokes were replaced because of emissions, and fuels were replaced because of emissions. Now that we found cleaner fuel, lets go back to two cycles.

cfherrman

I think if you made a variable expansion pipe you could make two stroke great again.

That or two stroke gas over electric as the two stroke only needs to run one rpm.

My idea is to build a flathead straight 6 with port injection turning 1800 rpm gas over electric, thing will never die.

Ice over electric kills any need for vvt