• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine oil in New Holland skid steers

P7M8

The manual for my LS180 specifies 10w30 engine oil. Why doesn't it require diesel motor oil? Is it okay to use synthetic oil like Mobil 1? Sorry if this has been covered but the search function won't accept the word "oil".

ccrider966

Engine Oil

I am sure you should use diesel grade of 10w30 oil. Most of these oils will designate it it is approved for diesel use. Synthetic oil is fine for diesels also, just costs more. Diesels are dirty engines and require good additive packages. I once heard that the most critical highly loaded area in the engine is where the lifters meet the camshaft. Dirty oil will wear camshafts there. Keep it clean by changing it!

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
Mobil 1 would be fine, and I think going with a premium oil in this case (10-30) would be better because of the add pk. and synthetics will keep your engine cleaner.

earthwerks

Did you notice that the same 10W-30 engine oil is used for the hydraulic system? Of all the equipment I own, no other uses engine oil for hydraulic fluid.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
Yes it is true for the 10 30 in the hyd tank. You do have to put an aditive in for anti foaming though. Case calls the additive HTO. One quart for five gallons of oil.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I run Delo 400 15/40 in all my equipment anf also for the hydrolic fluid in my bobcats and have been for 23 years. It is real nice to only have to stock 1 oil.

lawngodfather

Occupation
landscaper
I am running Shell Rotella 15w-40 diesel oil since I bought a 55gallon drum of it.

My NH maual says to use the same oil in engine, hydro and chain box.