• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine Oils

Oil Change Intervals

• Every 100 hours

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • 250 hours

Votes: 37 67.3%
  • 500 hours

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • more than 500 hours

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
I try to get the motor oil changed no more than 250 hours apart. The other oils(hyd,finals,etc) No more than 1000 hours. Usually the engine oil is changed at or near 150 hours, per my employers wishes. This may seem excessive, but this is how they had a case skidloader with over 5000 hours without any major repairs. Believe me when I say that there are a bunch of (can't :cussing here) idiots that run the stuff too. Digger242j can back that statement up for me!

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
Will What type of equipment? Do you use oil analysis to determine intervals?

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
Three Kobelco ecavators,various makes of skidloaders,few different makes trucks(Tandem,single axle, one ton dump). The mobile prevenative maintenance service, that we use, does the oil analylisis as part of the service. As for intervals, I go by the service intervals recommended from the manufacturer. Most have the engine oil set at 250 hours. My employer wants them changed at 150 hours/3000 to 5000 miles for the trucks. Call it analy retentive, but like in a previous posting, this is why they were able to get over 5000 hours on a skidloader with too many operators treating them like a toy. Most manufacturers also recommend hydralic filter changes in the 1000 hour range, they want them done at no more than 600 hours. It is cheaper to use say $500 dollars in oil to change everything than it is to have to replace an entire engine assembly or have a pump or valve fail because you are to frugal to spend the money. One saying I have heard is "Pay me now or pay me more later".

Last edited:

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
There is a lot of companies that are this diligent and the machines are better for it.
Many of these type of co.s are beginning to realize that they can have as good as or better results using higher quality oil and doubling or tripling intervals.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
Exactly his thoughts. He was tired of only getting what maybe 4000 hours out of an engine because it was needed too much on the job to MAINTAIN it. This is why I sometime let the interval go to maximum the manufacturer has. Otherwise when the time is up the machine is pulled out of service to have a fresh filter and oil change.

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
Man for changing oil that often 4k to 5k that seems like a short life span.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I voted 500 hours, it's the recommended interval for my machine by the manufacturer. It sounds like that might be too long by what I'm reading here.

salesrep, do you handle synthetics at all?

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
salesrep said:
Man for changing oil that often 4k to 5k that seems like a short life span.

Salerep, it may be a short life span for oils but what is cheaper $400 or $500 of oil or a engine that could lead into the multi thousands to repair or replace just because you want to get an extra thousand out of the fluid? one thing that made my employer change thier minds on this interval thing was when they were hit with a $9000 rebuild on a cat engine. ever since they have wanted them changed at the intervals I mentioned above.

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
Will, I think you're misunderstanding me. For the frequency that you are changing your oil, your machines should be holding up better. You're changing a lot and still not getting longevity.

Steve, 500 hours is not necessarily too long. The oem recommendation is the single best STARTING point when considering drain intervals. An oem oci (oil change interval) is based on the testing and averaging the most popular and api MIN. spec oils. If you are using a "good oil" you should be fine certainly thru any warranty period. 1000 hours in this example with premium oil would not be a stretch.

Yes I offer %100 petroleum, Semi-syn Blends, and %100 synthetics in Engine oils, Hydraulic oils, and Tranany fluids. http://www.specializedlubricants.net/

Gene Nolen

Occupation
Heavy Equip Mechanic/Graphic Design
Just my opinion here....
I ran a shop with a fairly large fleet. We had a wide range of trucks and equipment. I found it was best to let the machine or truck give me insight to service intervals. I usually tried to get to the equipment around 200 hrs or so but not every machine is the same as the next. Oil samples tell a lot. We sampled every service. Every machine comes back with different results because every machine had its own conditions. Some machines will do more idling, some run in very dusty conditions etc. On site trucks compared to highway. I would have to change my service intervals accordingly to keep within a safe zone. 200 hrs all in all was pretty safe but once in a while I would get a sample with lets say high iron. I would ask a few question track down the machine and usually find very arid conditions. (kinda looks like a big cloud of dirt pushing more dirt.) I would have to change air filters and take a sample. Some stuff was pretty old so it might get some internal leakage. Would have to wait for winter if possible so we would have to make interval adjustments again. I might be way off here but we had very few failures so it seemed to work for us.

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
Gene Nolen said:
Oil samples tell a lot. We sampled every service. Every machine comes back with different results because every machine had its own conditions. Some machines will do more idling, some run in very dusty conditions etc. I am a big advocate of sampling.
I would have to change my service intervals accordingly to keep within a safe zone. 200 hrs all in all was pretty safe .
The 200 hour oil change is where most otc oils will fall.I am a big advocate of sampling. Gene you are right on with the fact that different machines and conditions will vary from one to the next. Another reason for doing uoa's (used oil analysis) is being able to find problems before they become fatal thus saving big dollars.

ForsytheBros.

how about low sulfer diesels?

Guys, i may be off base here, but i seem to remember reading in our JD 310 manual that our maintenance interval for oil changes on the Deere needed to be cut by 50% for low sulfer diesel fuel use. I need to double chk the manual to make sure i'm not misreading something, but is this a variable affecting service interval? I'm not very literate on the effects of diesel recipes on these engines?

PS-
by the way, Steve, most excellent web forum. The amount of knowledge and sharing of info on the site is awesome.

Wulf

In my experience the HIGHER the sulphur level, the more frequent the oil change should become. Standard value in North America is under 0.5% I think which enables oil to be changed at standard interval depending on manufacturer. I haven't heard of reduced interval for low-sulphur fuel yet.

unimog

Schaeffer's 9000 is about the best oil you could use IMO. Hey salesrep I'm using the #254 HTC in my power steering and hydraulic system on my unimog, do you think that's okay or should I use something else. I was thinking #315 simplex supreme might be better? What would you use for a hydraulic fluid where it's not combined with a transmission, say an excavator?