• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine swap recommendations

esarratt

Occupation
Septic Installer
I have an old excavator that I am going to do an engine swap on. I have a few questions:
1) Is there a problem with using a non-turbo engine to replace a turbo engine. I'm not worried about the extra weight or the size issues.
2) What specs do I need to match up on the new engine? I am thinking the horsepower curve to rpm ratio needs to be fairly similar to the old engine, correct?
3) Is there any benefit or danger to increasing the horsepower of the new engine? Say, 5-10 horsepower?

Last edited:

Vetech63

What machine are you doing a engine swap in? It will make alot of difference if it is a later model with ECU, TCU, and VCU's.