• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Equipment theft prevention

ForsytheBros.

Not sure if this is the correct location for this question, but here goes:

I'd like to know what methods are being employed by users to prevent theft of equipment. Lojack?, machine disabling? GEOnets, etc. Just curious. I'm also curious if the larger machines such as dozers and excavators are theft prone as well as the smaller items such as skids and backhoes....

thanks

dayexco

any good thief will find them, but stops a lot of the kids playing/vandalism that may have access to master keys....we hide a master power switch on our equipment.

Take it from our experience. Don't leave your front end loader at a site next door to a meth lab. Trailer it out every night if you have to. When you're dealing with addicts it's only a matter of time before they figure out how to either wreck or steal anything. And wrecking is just as much a threat as stealing.

If I had a small dozer or front end loader I'd buy or rent an old seacan and lock it up in there every night. Those are pretty hard to break into. Good place to leave your tools too.

Wulf

New Komatsu midsize excavators have GPS type tracking system as standard equipment. One of the features is that the starter system can be scheduled to lock down outside of working hours, overnight or at weekends from your PC and will also identify any movement over 1/2 mile or so.

Last edited:

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I would think the methlab would be more woried about me parking a loader nearby.
I am lucky to live in an area ware we don't have any problems except for a few tagings and a few broken windows. The only way to get a piece of equipment out of town is by boat/barge. To my recolection there has never been a piece of equipment ever stolen here. In 25 years of business I have had 1 CB radio taken and that was when 1 of my Bobcats was left overnight in the prison parkinglot.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Equipment theft is big business, make no mistake about that. It's staggering the amount, and even the size of equipment stolen. Equipment parked on Highway project sites are the prime target .. with county/council equipment being large on the list. Naturally, the small stuff is the stuff most stolen .. with Bobcats/Skid Steers topping the list.

The perpetrators are often operators, or ex-employees with equipment knowledge .. bikie gangs .. and occasionally, a crooked contractor, who wants to add an item of equipment to his fleet .. cheaply .. :(
Here's the latest Australian equipment theft .. why fool with one item .. when you can take NINE??? .. they must've been like kids in a toy shop .. :)

Excavators stolen .. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21146964-1702,00.html

GPS theft tracking is the only way to go ..

http://www.quiktrak.com.au/

http://www.pressroom.com.au/press_release_detail.asp?clientID=21&prID=1968

Common sense theft prevention advice .. (applies world-wide) .. http://www.erosioncontrol.com/gec_0003_job.html

greenie

Occupation
operator
the company I work for still leaves the key under the seat so I guess we don't have to big a problem out here in the sticks.

greenie

Occupation
operator
just got to thinkin about my last statement , I guess most of our equipment would be kinda hard to steel.

HeyUvaVT

***Note to Self***

All TESTA equipment has keys in it!!

:bash :bouncegri

Guess its all to big to take anyways

DOH! ^^^ He beat me to it!

greenie

Occupation
operator
we do have lojack in most of them but I guess they figure just about everybdy up her has cat and komatsu keys anyways.

ForsytheBros.

Greenie-

don't you find it somewhat ironic that it seems like the more expensive the equipment, the more keys seem to fit the ignition for it? :)

I find some humor (not much though!) in that it seems as though everybody in construction appears to have a key chain containing a key to fit each particular piece of machinery, whether they own it or not!

tylermckee

I find some humor (not much though!) in that it seems as though everybody in construction appears to have a key chain containing a key to fit each particular piece of machinery, whether they own it or not!

Ive got one of those keychains, and hell, if you forget it sometimes all you need is the right screw driver.

We usually lock the doors on equipment with a cab and put the key somewhere on the engine. That way you have no excuse to not do your preflight fluid check.