• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ever turned a scraper uphill?

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
not saying it cant be done, but this is what happens when its done the wrong way.:pointhead this happened tuesday the pic is not the best, but you get the idea. its a 637g

Attachments

• 1125081448a[1].JPG
    1125081448a[1].JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,207

DPete

Did the rear engine push it over? What exactly was done wrong there? I'm guessing to much rear throttle

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
im pretty sure thats what happened,he was on the rear throttle while cranked 90 degrees turning uphill, breaking every cardinal sin of running a scraper, lucky he didnt get hurt.

Deas Plant

Did ANYBODY learn anything.

Hi, 637Slayer.
Hope nobody was hurt beyond bruised egos. The next important thing is, did ANYBODY learn anything from it, especially the owner of the butt in the seat at the time?

surfer-joe

Always a bad move to turn upslope with an overhung scraper. Doing it with a water wagon is even worse. I've had to set many a scraper back upright after an event like this. Smaller scrapers not so bad, loaded 651's are a real, well, you get the idea. Had it beat into me right from the get-go in operator school way, way back, always turn DOWNHILL!! Some folks don't get the message I guess.

I had to rescue a 631D water wagon last fall on a job near here. The kid turned up hill and sure enough, up went the nose. He fortunately dropped the tank which is all that saved him. I shoved the tank out straight behind the tractor and pushed him on up till he could get the nose turned downhill. There was a funny smell in the cab when I spoke with him afterwards..........

hiballer627

Ouch!! You never want to see a buggy like that, especially a 37G. Good thing he wasn't hurt. So do you guys call him "Flipper" now?

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
we have a couple different names for him, this latest incident is one of many. he is an older guy that hauls alot of dirt saccrificing {sp?} body and machine. when pointed in the right direction moves alot of dirt, when things go bad they usually go real bad.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
I was dressin a white sand slope up at work getting ready for grassing and It was alot easier with the JD762 scraper. I was starting at the top and working down at a downward angle. It was a long slope so the scraper was just fine for it. I know not to turn up hill but the way the ground was it would jusdt barely bear off to the leftof center and ease to the end of the slope and I would be on top of the stockpile. I lifted the bowl when I loaded and went to 2nd and the transmission just completly quit pulling before I could get the bowl down the thing was rolling backwards and trying to jack knife then the transmission reprimed and she reared up. I had to take the 5 and cable down the nose. The transmission pump had gone out causing it to quit pulling and some some other issues we found in the steering priority vavle caused the loss of steering.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
i dont know the pic just came in a text message on my phone, i do know pictures never give a slope justice, so hard tellin how steep it really was, or if he had room to swing out and get a straight shot at it. he did get three days off.

Hoppy

I've never had the chance to get on a scraper, but from DPete's post I take it that each engine must have its own throttle. Are there two throttle pedals? If there are two throttles, does that mean there are also separate controls for the front and rear transmissions?

ronnie

yeh hoppy there are 2 fuel pedals when i ran a double barrel i throttled the front motor with my right foot and the back with my left and when turning around i just let up with my left to let the back motor slack off so you don't make a bo,bo you would have to have it happen to you to understand alot of thing about scrapers you have to lean on your own

BrianHay

I will offer up a small tutorial for anyone interested in the proper way to turn a scraper up hill when you have to. It's tricky and quite unnerving if your not used to it, but it works. I don't suggest trying it unless you have no other choice.

First off, make the turn as wide as you can and stay off the front throttle. Give the front engine just enough so it's almost but not quite pulling the weight of the tractor. Use your back engine to push you up but be careful no to push to hard and lift the high side of the tractor.

The logic behind this method is simple. The front engine pulling lifts your nose up and that is likely what happened in the picture. Back engine pushing has two effects. It pushes your nose down but also tries to lift your high side tire up on the tractor. So the wider your turn the more force directed to pushing your nose down and less trying to lift your high side tire. It's a very tricky balancing act with the throttles, to much or not enough of ether one and you can land on your lid in a heartbeat.

BrianHay

True enough Hollywood, even a 2:1 is not very difficult. And no mater what angle you hit a slope at provided the machine is pointed straight it's safe. But I think we were talking about actually turning up a hill. On a 3:1 you wouldn't have to turn very sharp and pin it to get in trouble.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Hoppy, the right most pedal is the front throttle, and is connected to the front engine with mechanical linkage.
The rear throttle has a valve under it, and sends air pressure to a plunger connected to the fuel injection pump on the rear engine.
The 8 speed transmission on the tractor has a "clock" which sends an electrical signal to a shift solenoid on the rear 4 speed tranmission, so they work in synchronization.
Gear 1+2 in front= 1st in rear.
Front shifts to 3rd, rear shifts to 2nd.
Front shifts to 5th, rear shifts to 3rd.
Front shifts to 7th, rear to 4th.
Very important to keep the water drained from the air tanks, the moisture in the air mixes with oil that leaks from the air compressor as the machines age, making a nasty oily sludge, which can get into all the parts of the throttle system.
This can cause it not to work at all, or hang wide open, or be slow in opening or closing.
In cold weather, it can freeze the air lines up completely, which is a major pain in the behind to thaw out. Makes the mechanic really happy, believe me!
As you can imagine, there are times when you don't want the rear engine pushing, like a slimy haul road...
That's how a Cat twin engine scraper works, I imagine other manufacturers use similar systems.
I hope this helps,
Alan627b

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
i bet that guy pooped his pants, lucky the ditch wasnt any deeper looks like he prob would have went all the way over

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
i bet that guy pooped his pants, lucky the ditch wasnt any deeper looks like he prob would have went all the way over

Ya true that, he prolly had more dirt in his pants then he did in his bowl!:D

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I know from experience, that releasing the sphincter is the last thing that will happen, you use every muscle you have to grip the seat!:notworthy
Later, after the tension subsides and you realise you aren't dead, could be a different story....:cool2
Pic posted for ya' all.
Here's the whole website, it's got a whole section of OOPS pictures.
http://www.finaltrim.com.au/
alan627b

Attachments

• funnyphoto49.jpg
    funnyphoto49.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 398
Last edited: