• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Every heavy equipment mountain driver's nightmare

mitch504

Let me preface this by saying I am NOT a mountain person. I have spent almost all my life on flat coastal plain, river swamps, and a few years of it in the Amazon rain forest. All really flat by most people's standards.

30 some years ago, I spent a few weeks doing some fertilizer spreading for a start-up dealer in the mountains near Rockmart Ga. I had my first 2375 IH, 270hp L10 Cummins, 9 speed. I had NEVER driven a truck in the mountains before. I had to go down a very steep, (even by local's standards) 2 lane rural road that had a lot of traffic due to a new development. It also had a nice 90 near the bottom with a drop off. I was loaded to the gills and had a tag trailer with a farm tractor/loader. I nervously crept down and did what I had to do, and started back up right at evening rush hour. It was so steep I couldn't make 4th gear even though I was now empty and just towing the tractor.

I settled back to just chug up the hill at 15 mph, and looked over at the local woman who was riding with me as my guide. I wasn't worried much going up, but she had a white knuckle grip and was staring intently in the mirror! I asked what was bothering her and she said "we must have a hundred cars piled up behind us". I said they would just have to follow us all the way up and I would pull over at the top. She said, "But, if it gets too steep, won't the trailer come off?!" :rolleyes:

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Was in an empty beavertail KW attempting to pull a telehandler on a trailer up a 35% grade we have around here. Good thing the boss was driving. Mid way up the hill, drives started to skip and would not go any more. He had to back that thing down the hill gingerly and we went the long way around.