• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EX200-5 Swing Seal

Hitachi350Man

Hey guys I've got an EX200-5 that obviously had too much grease pumped into the swing bearing/turn table and so a portion of the seal has popped out. Is it as simple as pushing the seal back in or is there more to it than that?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Just work it in with a screw driver and you will be fine.

Hitachi350Man

I was trying that it was just really stiff so I didn't want to pry to hard and damage the seal. Thanks I'll try again. How often do swing seals need grease?

KenAl

If the seal is stiff it may have hardened. New it is very pliable. If you change it you have to glue it in. It comes in one long piece and you have to glue the ends together. Loctite Black Max I found to be the best to use as long as it is not too cold.
Operators manual says to grease it every 500 hours. No mistake "500" hours. That I always thought was too long. I suggest once a week and watch if the grease is coming out then that is enough. Also turn the bearing to get grease in at a few different spots.

John C.

Occupation
I used to schedule two or three pumps of grease in each fitting when the engine oil was changed. I'd spin the machine each way two or three revolutions and then one or two more pumps. It really doesn't take much.

Jetspaul

Occupation
HEO / Excavator driver.
I used to schedule two or three pumps of grease in each fitting when the engine oil was changed. I'd spin the machine each way two or three revolutions and then one or two more pumps. It really doesn't take much.

I do the same, grease it at 4 points, one thing I am not to sure on is, on my my machine JD200C, I dont like to remove the access plate to the swing bearing often for greasing due to fear of contamination, I try to do it only every 500 hrs. I would like to hear any thoughts on this...

Paul

sultan

I do the same, grease it at 4 points, one thing I am not to sure on is, on my my machine JD200C, I dont like to remove the access plate to the swing bearing often for greasing due to fear of contamination, I try to do it only every 500 hrs. I would like to hear any thoughts on this...

Paul

The swing bearing and the swing gear are different things. You should put in around 5 shots in the grease zerks in front of the machine on the swing bearing at 90 degrees apart every 250 hours. (5 x 4 = 20 shots of grease total every 250 hours)

The swing gear (accessed by opening the cover) can be greased every 500 hours. That's fine, as long as it's getting greased. Put about 2 cartridge fulls of grease, split into four equal portions in, 90 degrees apart. I like to spin 360 degrees after each quarter is greased to spread it out a bit better.

Contamination usually happens by itself (provided you're not greasing in the rain or anything like that) rather than by you letting stuff in. It's not that sensitive that a little dust getting in can hurt it. Just don't let gobs of crap in, and drain out any accumulated water whenever you spot any in there.

*To drain swing gear grease area of water, there should be a second similar access cover under the machine that you can open to drain. Be creative to overcome grease dams and let all the water flow out :tong. You may need to add a little extra grease if you need to do this.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
We only put grease in the pinion gear once a year. Never had any problems with that. I've seen dozens of machines still working with the original grease still there.