• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator track tensioner cylinder question.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
So, I have a Case CX160 excavator that has a tensioner issue. It loses grease out the end of the cylinder. I have taken it off the machine and was inspecting the rod. I could not get the rod out of cylinder, I put 150 lbs of air on it, it did not move and it was stuck, I believe this is because it got pushed up into the cylinder when we compressed it with the boom. Upon checking the rod it has different dimensions. I ended up using my 10k grease gun to push the rod back out.

I was looking atordering a new piece of rod at 2.59 but the movement made me question that and it is that size now so not seeing how that will help other than to remove the rough area

The rod measure 2.59 inches on the first 6 inches of rod that is inside the cylinder. As you move towards the end of the rod it grows in size all the way to 2.90 inches.

It gets tight and will not go into the cylinder. It gets tight at about 2.61 inches. If you pull it all the way out (maybe 2" still in the bore) it looks like it has about a hairs width of clearance and some movement in the bore. It seems like too much. Once you slide the rod into the cylinder at midway point it gets tight. In order to push it in any further, I had to use a shop press. It only went in a few more inchs and then bent a 1/4 plate in half so it was way too tight. Had to use grease again to push it out. It was so tight a 16 lbs hammer didn't do much pushing it in.

I am thinking that the end had mushroomed over time, this seems to effect about 6"s of the rod. I don't know how much clearance you should have between the metal, for the o-ring to work right. It is sealed with an o-ring and a backup ring. If the rod is the same size further in the mushrooming should not even matter because it will not get pressed in that far. But the slight movement worries me and I am wondering if it will loose pressure again. It has probably never been serviced. But it has moved enough that the o-ring is worn and half the backup ring was missing. The chrome has wear in that area where it tensioned too. The oring and backup still felt good but they seemed ground off, like the worn spot in the cylinder ate them up.

Have you ever seen the dimensions on the track adjuster rods change like this?

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

Occupation
Field Service Tech / Semi retired
had this happen on a komatsu 220 some years back from the crew ramming the tracks into concrete piles to help loosen them up. Deformed the rod and piston to the point where the entire cylinder had to be replaced.
This can be caused from going up and down from barges to the steep banks without using any mats, hell on the entire undercarriage. Years of abuse or single nimwhitted decision.
I would bet that the cylinder is wrecked as well, you are likely in need of a full replacement.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Yes Bluewater you appear to be correct. I was told today that running the tracks too loose will also cause this problem. I found a piece of rod for $100.00 so I am going to see if it will hold pressure with a new rod and seals, otherwise it is a whole new adjuster. Mine has too much movement in it but I am going to hope for the best.

thanks

Shimmy1

Yes Bluewater you appear to be correct. I was told today that running the tracks too loose will also cause this problem. I found a piece of rod for $100.00 so I am going to see if it will hold pressure with a new rod and seals, otherwise it is a whole new adjuster. Mine has too much movement in it but I am going to hope for the best.

thanks
Can you get a new rod from Case? How long and how much? How much is a complete tensioner? I'm going to guess about $1500?

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Yes, from case it is $300.00 for rod, $60 for seals or a whole new unit $550.

I also need seals for main boom lift cylinder x 2 at 400 each, the bucket cylinder seal kit is $900 ouch.
Parts are adding up fast, my 42" bucket has had the snot beat out of it.
Trying to keep from dropping 10k in repairs.

I ordered the cheaper piece of rod threw a hydraulic shop, I am going to try it and see how it fits with the seals in it, if it is a no go my gamble will lose me a $150 plus fuel. If the housing is bad I will save it or use it for the other side, and just order the new unit. The hydraulic shop said he will be able to tell if the housing is shot once the rod is in it. He is an hour from me and we did this over the phone.

Shimmy1

Yes, from case it is $300.00 for rod, $60 for seals or a whole new unit $550.

I also need seals for main boom lift cylinder x 2 at 400 each, the bucket cylinder seal kit is $900 ouch.
Parts are adding up fast, my 42" bucket has had the snot beat out of it.
Trying to keep from dropping 10k in repairs.

I ordered the cheaper piece of rod threw a hydraulic shop, I am going to try it and see how it fits with the seals in it, if it is a no go my gamble will lose me a $150 plus fuel. If the housing is bad I will save it or use it for the other side, and just order the new unit. The hydraulic shop said he will be able to tell if the housing is shot once the rod is in it. He is an hour from me and we did this over the phone.

Since you had to order the dumb thing anyway I'd have just ordered the OEM and been done. Hopefully the barrel is good.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
So we went with a hydraulic oil seal which fit the rod and cylinder perfectly. The new rod was 1/2 longer than factory which gives me a little more extension

20240205_141748.jpg

20240205_141808_exported_1707160834498.jpg

It would seem this kind of seal is better than an oring?

Now the question is do I do preventive maintenance and tear the other side apart to check it.

It was a royal PIA to get the track back on using a skid steer and forks alone. It was not broken apart and omg it did not want to go back on. I could not get the pin out to break the track so I pulled it off complete and pfff.

The new rod seemed to be tight enough that it will be a ok in the old cylinder.

Did a 360* turn and it stayed put

Last edited:

reganj

My .02, both cylinders have the same amount of use, I assume. One needed repair, the other will likely need it soon at the worst possible time.