• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

exhaust manifold coupling stuffing

towbar

Occupation
retired
Years ago as I rebuilt the Perkins in my 1987 Cat-426 the exhaust manifold joint at the turbo was so worn out that even a new clip in there was going to be loose. The same problem surfaced with the Deutz 912 I'm building now. The new clip is around $100cad but because of the amount of wear it likely would be a exercise in futility. So...

I cut six layers of glass and wrapped them over the male end, attached with a hose-clamp, and cut a hole in the glass about 1/8" less than the pipe section. Then I tapped the covered male end into the female manifold, adjusted and mounted, and cleaned up the 'dressing'.

03-glass-and-tap.png 06-stuffed-1k.png

THIS, will NEVER leak, a couple of thousand hours down the same fix on my Perkins is still as tight as it ever was.