• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

F550 service truck

Dualie

I would avoid the little international, it uses the same 6.4L as the last generation fords did. They have just as many problems in the internationals as the fords. Only difference is they whole hood tilts up so you don't have to lay on a radiator support every other day to fix it.

As for the Chevy, they are a cute ladies truck. The run strong but the frames, and suspensions just aren't to the same level as the fords or even the new dodges. they just don't handle the weight physically as well as the others.

I'm a dyed in the wool ford guy but if I had to buy a new diesel service truck I would look long and hard at the dodge 5500. that's IF you have a dealer close to you that's willing to work on the damn things. Not every dodge dealer will.

IF you got the dough I would put the two Paccar products above all else. A 335 pete or a T-300 KW with the rebadged Cummins as a PX-6 and a REAL Allison, air brakes and air ride would be a 20 year truck

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
a little late here but just found this thread. i bought a new sterling (dodge) bullet (5500) in 2008 with 4x4 service body with 6k crane and compressor and welder. showed up empty at 17000 lbs!!! after tools installed i was 19,000 lbs legal was 19500lbs. i got rid of it after owning it for two years because it was illegal overweight all of the time and super scarry to drive because the back end suspension was super soft, it rolled worse than a half full water truck. i once towed a 246 cat skid steer with it for 3 hours at 36,000 lbs and it never even slowed down on the hills or heated the tranny, the power (cummins) is amazing........theironoracle

trainwreck

i am running a 2011 ford 550 4x4 with the new 6.7 diesel. i have 65,000 miles on it with no trouble at all. this truck has a 11 foot service box with 6k lb crane,welder and air compressor. i love the this truck, but like theironoracle said it is near 17000lbs empty.

finaltenth

Just got a 13 F550 with the 6.7 with 11ft Knaphiede bed with a stellar crane. Only complaint so far is the PTO noise at idle. According to a TSB paper the "chatter" is "normal".

shadow2

no the 550 was to small for all the tool and cargo i wanted to carry so i went with a 03 350 cab chassis bullet proof the engine and a 12000lbs cargo trailer 7x14 feet.

the truck will hold 3 tons cargo with 100 gallons of diesel and have all work light and warning lights it should be done by april

the trailer will hold 5 tons of tools and you don't have to drive everywhere with the tool on the truck

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
even with the new emission systems i heard that the blow up transmission and go though turbo every 5000-10000 mile

14k miles on the odometer and no problems with the turbo, guess I got lucky..

shadow2

looking back at the 550 with an 11 foot Summit body with a
trail blazer 302 air pack
110 gallon fuel tank
reels: 50ft 3/4in, 200ft 10/3 electric, 2/0 150ft welding leads, 150ft twin torch reel, 125ft 1/2 air reel: all hannay reel
50in side height with a lumber rack
amber and blue warning light system
2 whelen pioneer pole light mount on front of the bed, 2 pioneer micro bed light, 2 pioneer slime line on the back of the bed
lumma bar compartment and under body lights

how does that look for the truck spec i was not going to do any drawers

i was wonder what is a good jumper pack to carry for both 12v and 24v machines

any other ideas of what i should carry would be great

this is the first truck the company is setting up to be able to take care of the machines as well the normal demo and excavation work

Last edited:

trainwreck

well guys im still running my 2011 550 ford. im at 82,000 miles. not motor or tans problems at all. great truck so far.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

FSERVICE

has any body put a winch bumper on the front of a service truck

I have installed several brands of winch bumpers on every model pickup truck. the very best I have installed/witnessed hitting a car, & pulling a F550 out of the mud up to the hubs was a Ramsey!! (yes the truck was abused but it was a fleet truck) that bumper could take a lick & keep on ticking had the 15000# winch mounted in it.