• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Falling Scrap Iron prices

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
This is the recycling channel, remember when cotton diapers were recyclable and ya needed diaper pins to hold 'em on? Last time I saw a diaper pin it was some freak with a mohawk trying to pi$$ off his parents had one stuck through his cheek as a fashion statement.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Need my trailer back from Scrap organization so off to Rosebud MO scrapyard.
Prices are way down but Is Gone.
$150/t tins
$.90lb for large clean aluminum
$.35lb for sheet aluminum
$1.00lb 70% copper wire

But should have seen the looks!!
IMG_1788.jpegIMG_1789.jpeg
24240 loaded 23100 empty!!!

Old Doug

I hauled a bread truck body. I sold it for aluminum breakage .20 a pound I was happy with that. I thought and thought about cutting it up for clean but that would have been a lot of work and I have plenty to do and its hard to figure what my time is worth .

gwhammy

Got 140 ton for shred at Mexico Mo., all the other scrap yards are paying around 110 close to me. Had a farm I was cleaning up for a guy and he gave all the scrap to me. Worked great since I already had equipment there to load it.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Fellas,

What would be the best approach or options for scrapping these old dry bulk ISO tanks? The frames are steel with steel cast corners. The vessel is T316 6mm thick stainless, 5300 gallon capacity. The skins are aluminum with rock wool insulation underneath. 7500 lbs total weight. Tanks are clean with all clean certification.

IMG_9906.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
To get any decent value of it will have to separate out and scrap in smaller pieces. SS brings better money that base steels, aluminum clean and shred is still pretty high.
Otherwise better off to sell on bids as a Trailer for whomever thinks can mod it to what they require. Being a old Flexi Van Conex frame might make more coin, can be amazed at what people will go on a bidding frenzy for a must have.

gwhammy

I think DMiller is right on that, I've worked tearing stuff apart only to learn someone would give three times the money for it whole. If you have time that's the way I would go, you can always salvage them later.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Thanks,

This one happened to be sitting on a leased container chassis. They had a rough life hauling salt, so the frames are rotted beyond repair and won’t pass a CSC inspection.

These were made by Brenner in the early 90’s.

Like you guys say, it’s probably best to sell
them locally. The vessel would make a great underground doomsday shelter. Septic tank? (;

Old Doug

Like a lot of stuff i deal with to many questions ? Is is easyer to sell as is but what is the cash difference what is your time worth ???

hosspuller

Scrap it is... Anybody breaking a ship or do you have a primary scrap yard within hauling distance? Look for a facility with a shear or something to pull it apart. I doubt it's worth your time to separate the metals and deal with the insulation. You might have to treat the insulation as haz mat. Definitely... if you manually take it apart, a respirator is good for your health.

From the Lancet: ..."We recommend that people who work with rockwool should be followed up with chest radiographs...."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(05)73126-3/fulltext