• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Farewell To A Great Mechanic.........Angus Krug...R.I.P.

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
Surely one or two of you oldtimers must have crossed paths with Angus during the past 40 years, one of the best Cummins guys I ever knew and a fine fellow too.

Sadly, cancer claimed him last Friday, the fifth friend of mine to be taken that way in 2011.

I feel really bad in that when we last talked, back in July, we made the usual threats to visit each other, maybe have breakfast again at his place, you know, the usual small talk between friends.
Sadly, with everything else that happened in 2011 I never got back to him before he was hospitalized before Christmas. He made it home from there while I was away visiting my family and when I got back here and phoned his place he was already in a coma. He didn't come out of it.

I first met Angus in the Fall of 1969 when I was the Warehouseman for the Gold River Logging Division.
I came to work one morning to find some guy had staked out a corner of the shop where he was busily engaged in dusting and sweeping and making everything as clean as possible. Ed Johnson, the Master Mechanic, took me over and introduced me as he explained that Angus was going to do a rebuild on one of our Cummins engines and that he liked a very clean environment in which to work.
I subsequently got to know him better and later I got to know a couple of his brothers too, Ron, who was Master Mechanic at Sandspit when I was there in the '80's, and before that brother John, who was manager of the BC Bearing store at Duncan when I worked for BCFP at Renfrew in the '70's and '80's.

I'm told there will be a celebration of his life this coming Saturday at 1:00 PM at the Maritime Heritage Center here in Campbell River. I expect it'll be well attended.

He will be sorely missed.

Take care.

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
Dave,Sorry to hear of your loss. I lost two friends in 2011 that were exceptional people.
I ride the Alaska ferry past Campell River twice a year and want to visit some day.

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
Here's the obit for Angus in today's papers.
I'm surprised none of you seem to have known him.
Very well known guy in a number of industries.

Take care.

KRUG, Angus John Friday, 30 Dec 2011 Campbell River Mirror Campbell River
KRUG, ANGUS JOHN
November 28, 1933 – December 30, 2011

Angus left us peacefully from home, surrounded by his family after a long battle with prostate cancer. He is predeceased by his parents Jack Krug and Mary Ann Campbell Krug, brother Malcolm, sister Joyce, nephew Chuck and best friend “Welder Bob” Rentz, his Friday night cribbage partner.
Angus was born in Stewart B.C. and grew up on the Queen Charlotte Islands and in Prince Rupert. After completing vocational school in Nanaimo, he settled in Campbell River in 1952. By 1963 he had opened West Isle Diesel Ltd. and was one of Campbell River’s first Cummins representatives. He was a one-man operation repairing Cummins engines in the trucking, fishing and logging industries, often flying into remote locations on Vancouver Island, the mid coast and the Queen Charlotte Islands. He was a superb mechanic, referred to by many of his customers as “the Doctor” or “Angus McCummins”.
Angus built the home on Northmore Road where he and his wife Shirl (Ferris) raised six daughters and quite often had an ‘extra daughter’ or two around for good measure.
Fishing was Angus’ passion. He was an excellent sports fisherman and loved to stock his freezer with his catches made either from off the beach or from a boat. He enjoyed hosting many a family barbeque supplying beautiful salmon and prawns.
Angus is survived by Shirl, their daughters, #1 Judy Polysou (Nick), #2 Patricia Krug (John), #3 Joanne Mills (Gordon Jaques), #4 Linda Krug, #5 Leslie Krug (Mark Bertrand), #6 Lori Fry (Tony), siblings Ron (Sharon), Cathy Morreau (Lorrie), John (Brenda), Don (Mary), nine grandchildren, four great grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.
The family extends our heartfelt appreciation for the compassionate and professional care given by Dr. Jan Coetzee (Alder Medical Clinic), Dr. Paul Blood and Dr. Michels (Victoria Cancer Centre), the Campbell River Home Nurses, the Campbell River Home Care Workers and the pharmacy staff at London Drugs.
Please join the family for a remembrance of Angus’ life on Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 1:00 p.m. in the Maritime Heritage Centre, 621 Island Highway, Campbell River.
Memorial donations may be made to the Maritime Heritage Centre or the West Coast Prostate Awareness Society. For convenience, donations can be sent to P. Krug, c/o 1011 Northmore Rd., Campbell River, BC, V9W 3L4, for delivery to either registered charity.
Angus’ ashes will be spread at Tlell on Queen Charlotte Islands at a future date.
“You will always be missed and remembered Dad”

trakloader

Angus was sure a great guy, I had a nice visit with him when the Krug family visited the museum a few years back.... So knowledgeable and easy to talk to. I just found out about his passing a few weeks ago. His brother John drove truck in Juskatla many years before I was born.

trakloader

The whole family seemed like really nice people. They had a huge reunion up here about 5-6 years ago, and I think there were about 40 of them in the museum at once. I spent most of their visit talking to Angus. Sure going to miss him, he was a walking Cummins encyclopedia.

If he is anything like his brother Don, he is a great guy.

Autocar

Sounds like a great fellow, guys like him are getting hard to find Iam sure he will be missed .