• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fecon FTX90L engine problems

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I always tell people to do their homework, before doing anything. About 7 months ago I bought a 2005 Fecon FTX90L with 350 hrs and about 150 hrs on a new engine. It has the Duetz 4 cylinder oil cooled engine, the reason, as I was told, the engine was replaced, was because the machine did not have a aux coolong package. It was added at the same time as the engine. I was told at time of purchase that the engine had warranty until Aug 08. BADDDDD experience with dealership since day after I paid for the machine. I wont go into that story, another topic
When doing my homework, I discovered that the Duetz engines gave problems, without the extra cooling package, so with the other pluses and a warranty on the engine, I decided to buy this unit. I now have 750 hrs and I just got finished with a 100 acre tract and was using it at the house for the grandkids dirt bike trail, when the engine started losing power, black smoking and I cut it off. Checked everything, looked OK, tried to start again and no starting. Called the dealer and he said sounds like the turbo went out, installed new turbo, same thing, called the dealer back, got the run around again, its now Friday and called back Monday and now the service manager is gone for the week. I talked to the parts manager and told him I needed the history on the machine, so the local Duetz dealer could look up the engine, to check on warranty, as of today, I have heard nothing. This company was bought out by Cat (Gregory Poole) so I contacted GP and they tried to call both of the saleman and neither, answered their voice mail or emails. Im in construction business and so I guess Im a salesman, I have to sell my work. After paying for the machine, I found out that the saleman had lied to me, he said it had a new set of rails installed (steel track model) found out that the had installed a used set, so the first week I broke a pin in one of the links. I then contacted both sales people and asked them what they were going to do about it, no answer within 4 days, I then left them both a not nice email and voice mail, still no reply. They are sales people and should act professional, but they act like I got your money, now F you (pardon my french) bottom line, I fixed the track problem out of pocket.
Almost forgot, Duetz dealer came out and they cant get the engine started, I loaded on the trailer and took it to them, their master mechanic found no compression on 3 of 4 cylinders, this engine has about 500 hrs on it.
Guess I'm getting long winded again, so Ill stop
Questions
1. Anyone having problems with their duetz engines? I did find out that Fecon is installing John Deere in their machines now
2. How do I get a record of when the engine was installed? My Duetz dealer, says he needs a in service date to even begin the search

Guess Im looking at big bucks, to get me back to work in this slow ecomony, unless the warranty thing will kick in:Banghead

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
Where I work we have a cust. replace his duetz engine in his Rayco 3 time in three years with only one time being his fault,(he dusted the engine), sounds like the same setup 4 cyl oil cooled, We found out the duetz has really poor quality control, one engine we installed did not have the oil pressure regulator installed when they shipped it out, the last one we just put is was not timed right so when we turned it over bent push rods, so I would say if it at all possible swap engine manufactures, it may cost more up front but it may save you in the long run

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Deutz dead

Where I work we have a cust. replace his duetz engine in his Rayco 3 time in three years with only one time being his fault,(he dusted the engine), sounds like the same setup 4 cyl oil cooled, We found out the duetz has really poor quality control, one engine we installed did not have the oil pressure regulator installed when they shipped it out, the last one we just put is was not timed right so when we turned it over bent push rods, so I would say if it at all possible swap engine manufactures, it may cost more up front but it may save you in the long run

Have any ideas on a easy replacement engine, I sure would like to find one that would fit, that has more power and life time.

Iron Horse

Have a look on the Perkins web site for an engine that is the correct hp and torque rating to replace yours . You may be able to go a little bigger as well . Most industrial engines have an SAE bellhousing so finding one to match your pump adaptor will not be a problem . Then it's just engine mounts , air con bracket etc . You should have room for a radiator , if not you may be able to run a remote radiator on the cab protection frame out of harms way . You can buy a "Power Pack" version that comes skid mounted with a radiator and watchdog protection , it would have engine mounts and everything you would need for the conversion . http://www.perkins.com/cda/layout?m=96603&x=7

Last edited:

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Fecon FTX90L info Deutz dead

Have any ideas on a easy replacement engine, I sure would like to find one that would fit, that has more power and life time.
Deutz dealer said the fuel control sensor, went bad and caused the fuel control to give too much fuel????? Fecon is waiting to get back with me about any warranty. Seems like no one wants to back their product.
Perkins says they dont think they have a engine that will interchange easily.
Still on standby.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
what kind of coupling is it belt drive direct drive u joint it would help in the engine to put in there because if its u joint it would be the easy ist to swap but im sure you can get a custom mounting plate made to swap engine menufactures granted its not what you want to do but if they are going to run you around then see ya or just trade it off for something else or go to another dealer further away and see if they wont deal with you better then your local dealer is granted its further to drive but sales sells the first one service sells the rest.

hvy 1ton

If they are putting deeres in them now shouldn't that be easier than the Perkapillar? If it won't bolt directly to your pump you could sell it and buy they one they are now using with deere engines. It wouldn't be cheap, but i'd like to think the deere wouldn't give you any trouble after the changeover. Hopefully they are still using the same pump with the newer motors.

Senator215i

Occupation
operator/maintainer for QLD rail
I've heard some bad stories of the Deutz engines in the rayco/fecon i heard of one bloke over hear in aus thats gone through 6 engines so far

Deereman

Like HVy 1ton said. I would go and see what i could find out about the deere engine(4045) I think thats what they use. Should be a whole lot easier to switch over with motor mounts and all. If i am not mistaken deutz is air cooled, I don't see how that don't melt down anyway:beatsme I didn't notice where you were from but if you have to visit either a deere constuction dealership or a Deere engine power source near you and see what they could do for you. We have had to put deere engines in All kinds of things. Even replaced a 6 cylinder Mercedes-Benz with a 4 banger in a liebherr track loader and the guy loved it:D

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
More info

I always tell people to do their homework, before doing anything. About 7 months ago I bought a 2005 Fecon FTX90L with 350 hrs and about 150 hrs on a new engine. It has the Duetz 4 cylinder oil cooled engine, the reason, as I was told, the engine was replaced, was because the machine did not have a aux coolong package. It was added at the same time as the engine. I was told at time of purchase that the engine had warranty until Aug 08. BADDDDD experience with dealership since day after I paid for the machine. I wont go into that story, another topic
When doing my homework, I discovered that the Duetz engines gave problems, without the extra cooling package, so with the other pluses and a warranty on the engine, I decided to buy this unit. I now have 750 hrs and I just got finished with a 100 acre tract and was using it at the house for the grandkids dirt bike trail, when the engine started losing power, black smoking and I cut it off. Checked everything, looked OK, tried to start again and no starting. Called the dealer and he said sounds like the turbo went out, installed new turbo, same thing, called the dealer back, got the run around again, its now Friday and called back Monday and now the service manager is gone for the week. I talked to the parts manager and told him I needed the history on the machine, so the local Duetz dealer could look up the engine, to check on warranty, as of today, I have heard nothing. This company was bought out by Cat (Gregory Poole) so I contacted GP and they tried to call both of the saleman and neither, answered their voice mail or emails. Im in construction business and so I guess Im a salesman, I have to sell my work. After paying for the machine, I found out that the saleman had lied to me, he said it had a new set of rails installed (steel track model) found out that the had installed a used set, so the first week I broke a pin in one of the links. I then contacted both sales people and asked them what they were going to do about it, no answer within 4 days, I then left them both a not nice email and voice mail, still no reply. They are sales people and should act professional, but they act like I got your money, now F you (pardon my french) bottom line, I fixed the track problem out of pocket.
Almost forgot, Duetz dealer came out and they cant get the engine started, I loaded on the trailer and took it to them, their master mechanic found no compression on 3 of 4 cylinders, this engine has about 500 hrs on it.
Questions
1. Anyone having problems with their duetz engines? I did find out that Fecon is installing John Deere in their machines now
2. How do I get a record of when the engine was installed? My Duetz dealer, says he needs a in service date to even begin the search

Guess Im looking at big bucks, to get me back to work in this slow ecomony, unless the warranty thing will kick in:Banghead

Totaly disgusted:Banghead Still no progress, on the bad deutz engine situation. I finally found my bill of sale and it states that I have engine warranty until 08-11-08. Now that the dealer Pioneer Machinery has been sold to Greogory Poole/Cat, Cat says they didnt have anything to do with the original sale and they were not liable.
Ok dealer started working at Deutz, Deutz says engine is out of warranty, this is the second engine and warranty started with the first engine. The engines are failing because the fuel sensor, is putting too much fuel to the engine. Now they know they have a problem, but they dont intend to do anything about it.
Fecon, says we will furnish a new style Deutz engine, but I have to pay them $4000 and pay the dealer the installtion charge of about $3500+. Yea I know something wrong with this picture. I bought a $70,000 machine with a engine warranty, now it doesnt have a warranty and I have to come up with $7500.
All parties involved have almost quit talking, all I get is thats the deal, take it or leave it.
Went to the lawyer, last Friday and he says "are they crazy, you have a warranty in writting and everyone says its no good" We'll sue their *&^%<> off, but it make take forever to get anything and the payments still need to be made. Fecon has returned the lawyers calls, but he was at court each time Fecon called, but Fecon says they dont plan on changing their offer. This comes from a company that is replacing the Deutz (2011) engine, with a Yanmar, they are also buying some machines back, but this offer is not for me.
Soooo, as I have done on other posts, watchout if you plan on buying a Fecon/Rayco or anything with a Deutz.
Just my 2 cents worth

Iron Horse

Tell the scum bags that you will pay them what they ask as long as they install the Yanmar . Have you got insurance against downtime ? If so make a claim and sue their butts off if they do'nt accept your offer .

driftless

I'm going through this issue too, two days out of warrenty. First Deutz sent an email offering an replacement engine; after I complained that they should cover labor they reneged on that. I'm also very disgruntled that no one from Fecon or Deutz contacted me before my warrenty lapsed to tell me this was coming. They aren't hiding the fact that they know about this defect.

Anyone else out there that is/has dealt with this Fecon/Rayco Deutz issue, Please contact me...

Jesse Bennett
jesse@driftlesslandstewardship.com

Iron Horse

I would grab the engine they offered and fit it myself or pay someone $300 to do it for you (maybe they will agree to supply a Yanmar) instead of a Deutz . "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush ". It's a long expensive road if you choose a class action .

driftless

I would grab the engine they offered and fit it myself or pay someone $300 to do it for you (maybe they will agree to supply a Yanmar) instead of a Deutz . "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush ". It's a long expensive road if you choose a class action .

Deutz retracted their offer of a replacement engine. They're claiming that upon further investigation (after the Department of Consumer Protection talked to them on my behalf) that this, unlike all the other breakdowns out there, was dust in the oil. Pretty convenient for them!

Unfortunatly for them, the evidence looks like their other fuel-related failures and everyone I talk to (e.g. Fecon dealers, repair shops, Fecon themselves), not to mention the numerous mentions of this defect on google, know that these are defective machines.

I'm in no way looking forward to legal action but I have a pretty good BS detector and it is telling me that these companies screwed up and are trying to pass the sh*t on to too many struggling business owners like myself. I fought like hell to get this far in business; I got a bit more fight in me and I truely believe I'm in the right. Oh yeah, it really helps that there are so very many folks out there that were in or are still in this same boat and/or see through their BS.

Other Fecon/Rayco owners / previous owners email me. jesse@driftlesslandstewardship.com

Iron Horse

What was the original problem ? Did you have your own oil analysis done ? Have you still got the oil filter(don't cut it open with a saw) ? What does the mechanical damage consist of ? Do you have any photos we can see ? The manufacturers always take the "If you can't dazzle them with science , baffle them with bull" stand which usually works as the owner goes away broke and disheartened . I'm sorry to hear of your plight .

Noose

Occupation
O/O '98 378 Pete tandem dump ~~ '03 S185
We have 6 Raycos all with the same issues. Its the oil pressure sending unit, thats failing, The Duetz was chosen for its power to wieght ratio. Up here we skate the edge daily in muskeg and bogs. a extra 100 makes big differences. I tried a Yanmar conversion and was really impressed and would like to go that way but its a 3 week conversion and our engines only go when it's time to work. Maybe some preventitive maintentance in the spring.
To the guys with the Yanmars how many hours have you racked up on the Yanmar?

aongheas.macask

Occupation
ex service manager
Questions

Hi Willis,
Sounds like a typical Deutz response, I worked for Liebherr in the UK and we had numerous warranty reponse problems with Deutz UK and their dealers, when an engine fails they ask for date in service which the original machine dealer or manufacturer should have as a commission date, Deutz say they should be informed of this date by the machine seller as start of warranty date, if they dont have this they use the delivery date of the engine from Deutz to the manufacturer, however the engine could lie in a factory a long time before fitting.
Personally I think their engines and especially the oil cooled type are poor quality and unsuited to excavator operating conditions, if you get no joy with Deutz I agree you should replace with a more robust and reliable motor.
Only my experiences and thoughts.
Regards and sorry to hear of your plight.:(

V16CatMetKanick

Occupation
Heavy Equipment repair specialist, welder
I've worked on more Deutz engines and found them to be all junk. I've had better luck with Cummapart (Cummins) engines than Deutz. Yanmar engines I've seen run 20,000 hrs with no major problems, just normal problems ( water pumps, maybe a few injectors, etc). Deere is a really good choice in engines too, a small Cat wouldn't be a bad idea, but you wouldn't get the max life out of them like you would a Jap motor. Just stay away from the little Cummaparts because they have alot of things that go wrong in the heads and injector systems. They can't build them like the big ones. Bobcat used a very few Deutz and stopped using them because they found out how much of a pile of iron they are, they use now all Kubota engines.

LARS50

I have two leaf vacuum repowed with oil cool 4cyl deutz one engine no problems the 2nd vac at 40 to 50 hr the #3 cyl piston burn up deutz replace
the engine i payed for labor and at 40 hr the 2nd engine did the same deutz
will not stand by there engines i need people that had this same problem
to let me know so my lawer can check this help (never used a deutz agan)