• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Finally learned how to post pics.

crane operator

I think there's actually more support, now that detroit and mtu are the same parent company, than in the past when mercedes diesel parts were nowhere.

Knepptune

Ye I dk. Seemed like the Detroit dealers didn't want anything to do with that. Definitely could be making a difference tho. We got the parts ordered from International Crane Parts. I'm still gonna have to track down a manual or at least find some torque specs for that engine.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
It's a v8 Mercedes diesel. Om 442 La. It's definitely a different animal. Overall it's a really simple design, You can just tell it wasn't designed by Americans. Lol

And the parts are a little harder to find then a Cummins. We do have a rebuild kit located and ordered. That really was one of our biggest concerns when she went down.
That explains why I didn't recognize it! The only Mercedes I had any thing to do with was an inline six in a Sterling truck we had and the only thing I did to that was change oil and filters and a belt that always seemed to want to trim off the first rib or two. Pulleys were all nice and lined up but after a day or two the belt would shead the rib off one side. But if you just left it like that it would go for a year or more with no more trouble. Then someone would get all excited and say I had to replace it. Then a day or two later it was the same again!

Knepptune

Got the v8 running. Ended up milling the heads, new main and Rod bearings, new liners and piston rings. Runs great so far.IMG_0564.PNG IMG_0565.PNG IMG_0566.PNG

My brother sent me these pictures the other day. Customer we set some trusses for called in panic wanting a crane asap. My brother got it back to rubber side down. Sent a guy up to check the forklift out. Guy says he's gonna use it like is. Not gonna spend the money on it. Those kinda decisions irritate me but anymore I just make them sign a receipt that says they are aware of the extent of the damage so it can't come back on me.

lantraxco

How stupid... that's gonna fold up like a politician wired to a polygraph. Hope it doesn't kill anybody.

crane operator

You wouldn't see that dent at a ritchie bros auction though!

Seriously- I probably set up one or two of these a year, and there are a lot I don't see- they stand them up with a wrecker, backhoe or something. Almost every one I have stood up has been with someone traveling with the boom up at a high angle, and go over a terrain change, hill- ditch- or like coming off of that concrete.

You just know he was booking down that concrete, and whipped it off into that mud and it flopped right over. Isn't gravity a bi%$# sometimes.....

kshansen

Occupation
Not trying to get too political but operators like that guy are why we need something like OSHA. Just glad you had them sign off on the damage I would also document it by printing out the pictures and save them with a copy of the paper he signed. Feel sorry for the guys who work for this guy as he has no concern for the safety of his workers!

GrainBinMan

I just make them sign a receipt that says they are aware of the extent of the damage so it can't come back on me.

Got a stupid question: how could they come back on you? So they don't say you damaged it when setting it back up? Just trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks.

Knepptune

Don't think they could due to us standing it back up. As we do a lot of repair work my concern is if I send a mechanic out to check the machine over, I have to have proof that he knows the extent of the damage.

It would to easy in case of an accident for the guy to say, well I had it inspected, no one told me the boom was bent. Then if he has a receipt stating we were in fact there looking at the forklift it's my word against his if I don't have paperwork listing the defects with his signature under it.

And yes it should be illegal to be that careless. But it's a free world. His guys don't have to work for him. I wouldn't.

kshansen

Occupation
And yes it should be illegal to be that careless. But it's a free world. His guys don't have to work for him. I wouldn't.
To some extent that maybe true, but unfortunately they might need the money and have no other options but to work for him.

td25c

But it's a free world. His guys don't have to work for him. I wouldn't.

I agree Knepp ! If you feel this cat is a risk I would decline working for him again in the future .

Save all the paper work next time the phone rings needing a crane to set this guy's the Lull back on it's wheels .

A simple " Sorry we can't help you " and move on Man .;)

This guy sounds like a real dandy ! Why work for him ?

Last edited:

Knepptune

Update on the engine rebuild in the 110t. So far it's running good. We had the intercooler recored right before it started leaking water into the oil. With fresh internals and full boost, it's a new engine. Went from barely dragging itself along at 43mph on a flat spot to cruising at a cool 50 mph. 7 mph may not sound like much but the biggest difference is up hills. You can actually pick up speed on a slight upgrade now. So I'm happy about that.

Knepptune

Setting some steel. There's a little courtyard in there. 4K or so 130'-140' out. Nothing to serious. The problem was the setup. We couldn't get the cw's to the crane in the setup area, so we loaded the weights on the crane and backed into place. Nothing but an AT crane would have made into this setup spot. The stone just collapsed away and the crane sank. The ruts were a good 2' deep. Locked in all the axles and differentials and backed her in. Also when you have one side on the crane in a 2' rut that suspension is a life saver. Auto level the crane with the suspension and set her up. IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0580.JPG IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0583.JPG

Knepptune

The second setup spot was much nicer. Further reach tho. Couldn't quite reach the last beam so I don't know what they're gonna do. Had about 2200 at 159'. We were about 10-12' short. IMG_0584.JPG IMG_0587.JPG

Knepptune

Earlier this week. 65s hydraulic pump leaking oil. It ended up being a leaking seal between the pump sections. Rather then removing the pump I took it apart in place and put a new seal in the section that was leaking. Makes you appreciate the old grove pumps. Incredibly simple, incredibly tough. The right way to build things.IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0574.JPG

Brad SEIN

An employee and i were talking about courtyards last week. Every school in the area was built with one in the 70's, and every school on the area has eliminated them for classrooms, or plans to in the near future. They sure are a pain to close back up after the fact. Buggy's, pumps and cranes for everything!

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
If they are really stuck to set the he last beam, you could drop in a small mini excavator style crane or I think they make a spider lift style crane as well. We had to drop a mini excavator into a building one time because the engineer forgot a fire wall and it wasn't caught until all the block walls where up

Last edited:

Knepptune

The last beam is 1700lbs and needs to go about 15' up. If they hadn't set a transformer between when the job was measured and when it was done we'd have been fine.