• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First equipment purchase

jakelly

Hello all,
I have been reading several threads trying to figure out which skid steer/ctl meets my purpose the best, while retaining its resale value. I want to thank everyone for sharing their experience and knowledge you have been a huge help already. Here is some information about my needs.
-I want an enclosed cab machine, temperatures in the Northern prairie go from 110+ to -60.
-I plan to plow snow and dig trenches on well site pads around the rigs.
-I would like a larger machine 60+ hp that can cut quicker with less relative effort.
-I have some acreage with corrals, out buildings, and fences that need repaired or demoed.
-This will be a part time job for days off and evenings.
-High hours are ok for a nice machine, I won't be using it that hard, but I don't want to break down all the time.
-Would like to stay beneath 25k for the machine and attachments.
-I may do some dirt work or concrete, but I don't plan on it (other than around the house).
-I like the versatility and traction of tracks - resale seems better too.
-I am leaning toward the case 440, gehl ctl70, or similar bobcat.

Some questions I have:
? Should I look for high flow hydraulics.
? Anyone know of something for sale.
? Are tires that much cheaper to operate.
? What are the most hours you'd consider.

Thanks guys I feel alot more confident with the knowledge I've gained. Thanks to the forum for helping me avoid a costly mistake.

jakelly

Gents,
I would also like to ask the forum to recommend their most trusted:
-Auger & bits
-trencher
-snow removal device

And if you are aware of a lemon attachment, I would appreciate a heads up.
Thank you - Josh

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
double post

Last edited:

stuvecorp

If snow is going to be a big part of what you are doing then stay away from track machines. The reason I say that is you have to get the 'winter' tracks to have any traction and you are giving up major top end speed(unless you can get someone to pay you by the hour...). I have a Case 440S3(cab/heat, two speed, hyd. quick tach, ride control) and it has all the major things I need, air or the high flow would be nice but I can live without air and what I do high flow has never been needed. There is guys that use high flow and need it but starting out it may not be a make or brake for you. I like how much power the 440 has but is also a smaller frame than the big skids so it can fit in spots a little better. I run the VTS track system for the summer and then in the winter I am running oversized truck tires for plowing(gives me more speed and more traction). The VTS isn't perfect but it does so much, it's like steroids for a machine but you could tear powertrain stuff up.

I had a Mustang MTL16 and if I would never do snow work it would be okay and for me if Case wasn't an option I would run a Takeuchi(or sister versions -Mustang/Gehl).

As for attachments, it all depends what you do. I really don't use my auger very much but it is nice when I do. Pallet forks and bucket for me are on the machine probably 95% of the time. A good grapple is very useful, snow plow or snow pusher as well. Try to find as low of hours as you can, there are so many skids out there you should be able to find something decent.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
If your wanting to run a trencher in Western North Dakota, I think you will need high flow and a substantial trencher to be able to get some productivity especially later in the year when the ground is hard. I dont have a trencher so I cant recommend a brand. On the auger, I own a Lowe 1650E. I bought this in 1995 its dug a silly amount of holes in tough conditions and it still works like a champ. I think you could get by with a wheeled machine out there. If you would like to hedge yourself in softer conditions you could put wider tires on your skid steer. I have done this and it works very well. Typically tracked machines dont hold their value as well as their wheeled counter parts, however there is no doubt that tracked machines are more productive in grading, and working in soft conditions. The tracked machines cost more to run per hour than a wheeled machine so you need to make sure the tracked machine is making you more money.

If you don't mind a road trip, I will be trading in my 440 as soon as my new machine gets in (should be this week). I have VTS tracks on this machine and I am giving them the tires as well. Its got cab and heat no AC. I worked it in Montana down to minus 43 and it still makes heat. The only issue is that machine does not have high flow. If your interested PM me and I can give you more details.

jakelly

That 440 seems to be an excellent choice. I want a Gehl ctl70, but my needs dictate a different choice. Wheels it is. The case support is the alot closer. Sounds like a winner. Lowe seems to make a dependable auger.
-Why no ac KSSS?
-Can I get your phone number pm'd?
-What device does everyone like for snow removal?
-Anyone know for sure if you want hi-flow hydraulics to turn a trencher in frozen ground?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I planned on just removing the door in the Summer which worked fine and it was another 1000 for the AC. I should have got it on the machine when I ordered it, I would get most all of it back on trade.

I have a snow blower and a snow pusher. Unless your doing large commercial lots, I think the oversized buckets have more value.

If you go to my website you will see my contact info and pictures of the 440 in picture gallery section as well as sprinkled through out the site.

jakelly

Found out from a Case dealer that I don't need high flow hydraulics to run a trencher. Only a few things need it. If yours had ac it would be ideal.

stuvecorp

My skid doesn't have air either and I wanted it more for resale than really needing it, heat is more importand I think. For me in the summer I am in and out of the skid a lot and rarely spend all day in it so taking the door off works great.

I think an angle plow is the best for plowing but it depends what type of plowing you are going to do.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Granted you dont "need" high flow to run a trencher, however to be productive at trenching meaning to do it at such a rate as to make money, I think its pretty important. Typically trenching is priced by the linear foot, so the longer it takes per linear foot, the less your making.

Last edited:

jakelly

The salesman at the case dealership told me that attachments have different motors for high flow. That it was not "good" for the attachment to run a standard flow motor with high flow hydraulics. That attachments with high flow motors cost over 1000 dollars more than their standard models. Is this good or bad info? I would like to go faster if possible.

stuvecorp

I've heard that before on the attachments so it doesn't sound out of line.

I was going to upload a picture of my skid set up for plowing but it won't let me. If you were looking for a newer setup let me know, might be upgrading this winter.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
No his information is correct. However when you have high flow you also still have regular aux. flow so you can use whatever hyd system is appropriate. If running a trencher is a part of your busines plan to make money with this machine, and given the ground condition out there I think you would want the high flow machine and the trencher. A 440 makes about 22 gpm with aux flow, with high flow you get another 15 gpm or so. Thats a pretty substantial increase. Also if you want to add a snow blower, high flow is mandatory if you running a commercial type blower. I don't want to talk you into a direction that is not in your best interest. If running a trencher is not that important than the high flow hyd system may not be either. However if it is important and your getting paid by the linear foot or by the job, then spend the money on hgh flow and a high flow trencher. Only if your going to be paid by the hour would this not make sense.

jakelly

I checked with a couple trenching attachment manufacturers, and yes, high flow yields much more torque and will do the same job significantly quicker. Do all Case skid steers with high flow capabilities also offer standard auxiliary hydraulics? I have looked at the 70xt and some older machines.

SKM Excavation

Occupation
Heavy duty Mechanic bye trade. Self employed cont
I am a certified journeyman Case mechanic the case skid steers are good they are very easy to work on and pretty durable i have a 465 with nearly 3000 hrs on it and its still going strong just keep the chain drive maintained and regular maintenance. I live in northern saskatchewan it gets really hot in summer and really cold in winter and the 465 runs like a top thru it all.

jakelly

I have found a 2003 70xt with 200 hrs, cab, heat, high flow, foot throttle for 20,000. KSSS I saw on another forum that you owned a 70xt before your 440, do you think the extra investment (probably 4-5k)
for a 440 is warranted?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
My only issue with the 70XT was the lack of two speed. Its was a big blunder on CASE's part in my view. The control system is better in the 440 than the 70XT. Although many might consider this heresy, I think the 4.5L runs harder than the famed 3.9T as found in the 70XT. I can say that I have never been more happy with a machine after 5 years of ownership than I have with the 440. However the 70XT you found seems to be a rare find. I would seriously consider it. Once you get up and running you can always step up to a 440 or Alpha series. If you have looked around you probably already discovered the other bonus with a CASE skid steer, and that is resale value. If you run the 70Xt for another 6-800 hours and keep it in good condition (I am assuming it must still be like new) that machine will still be worth around 16-17K. Thats a great position to be in. Trade it or sell it outright in a couple years and only lose 3-4K.