• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First Excavator

FARMER478

I looking to buy a used excavator for use on my farm. It will be mainly used for clearing old fences and other farm related jobs. I'm open to about any brand and sizes as long as it has sufficient power and I can find parts for it.

I have found two machines and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on ether. Both seem to be in good condition and the under carriage on both are 50
% or better.

One is a Case 125B and the other is a Cat 205.

The cat has a perkins engine. Nothing wrong with that, but I was just wondering why. I would guess that it must have been manufactured by some one else.

It there any other thing I should check?

Thanks.

Kfarmer

Occupation
Web and Print Designer
While I don't have comments on your specific machines, I can tell you about my own experiences on our farm that is roughly 100 acres of cultivated land and another hundred acres of wooded land. All of it is hilly.

After renting a few machines in the 8-12 ton sizes, we got a Kobelco SK135SRLC that has some cosmetic issues but just 1450 hours. On our farm we have some wooded areas with roads which seemed reasonably wide for a farm truck but felt pretty tight with a 12 ton excavator. If you have to turn the machine much without jump turning, formerly peaceful and natural areas can look pretty ravaged in a hurry. The near zero clearance helps a lot but I have folded over a few mirrors. I have had to discipline myself toward removing more side-to-side obstructions for clearer passage ways and work areas. If everything were more open, I might have preferred a larger machine for stumping purposes but I am getting better at turning stumps out of the ground now.

Our machine has a manual, wedge-lock quick change and came with a 60 inch cleanout bucket in addition to the standard dig bucket. I really like the cleanout bucket for helping me to do work that is tidier than I would expect for my skill level. By keeping the bottom of that big bucket flat to the ground, the down force is spread out some and I can get things pretty smooth.

The machine has a progressive link, hydraulic thumb and I wouldn't have looked at a general purpose farm machine without one. Great for moving things, snapping (carefully) 30-40 foot alders into shorter, more convenient lengths, and other tasks too.

I had sort of hoped to get a machine with a blade because we have slopes and lots of times I find myself needing to level the machine for some heavier work but I don't want to tear things up/spend time building a level platform for 15 minutes of work. The blade can level the machine right now.

We cave a compact tractor with a 4-in-1 bucket and it does a terrific job of lifting out fence posts. You can throw them in the bucket and it covers ground way faster than the excavator. I worry some about what I am doing to the undercarriage when I have to walk the machine pretty long distances (1/2 - 3/4 mile) routinely.

Good luck finding a good machine. There is so much these machines can do/help with on a farm.

Marksan

l have a "farm machine" my first a Kobelco 200 1988 ive put over 1000hrs on it with minor 'ware and tear' expence.

Mines Fugly, however well serviced, its all in the serviceing, low hours mean zip if its been negelected.

lf i where to buy again for the same use i would try and buy pre computer as this one is, wiring doesnt age well in machines it seems most problems on old-ish hoes are electrial based with computers as the main casualty, a part for the most it seems cannot be repaired only replaced, at great expence.

Great peice of kit a hoe, cannot imagine what i would do without it now.

Xcavating

I wouldn't recommend the Cat 205, was not a "true" cat machine and I have never been a fan of the older Case excavators but honestly don't know much about the 125B. I would stick with Deere, Hitachi (same as Deere), true Cats, Komatsu, Newer Cases...

I know of a few good Cats and Deeres locally for sale by contractors that I would recommend any day over the two choices you mentioned.

Good Luck!

ILLICEMAN

Occupation
FARMER ex CHEVY DEALER
I have never had a 205 but over the years I had very good luck with E200lc cats.Never had a major problem.Although now I have a jd 200 c wick I got for very updated cab.
Most of my 200,s were gray market but I never waited longer than over night for a part.
Basically the E 200 is a stripped 320.
As with any older machine check it out very well before buying.Good luck.