• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

foam/poly filled tires

Serv

Who out there is using this in their tires? Are you happy with it? What brand system are you using? Are you paying by the pound? By tire size? I'd be very interested in hearing any sort of feedback, pros, cons, etc. on this method of flat proofing.

anyone? :D

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
We have tested many types of material.
In -99 we filled a lot of wheels with a rubbercompound.
That is now a PIA, the pressure of the stuff is out and the rims are loose.
But not to loose to get the tires off the rims.:mad:
We are using a ripper tooth and a exc to tear the tires apart and get it off.

We are now using a floating stuff called Tyreprotector, that u pump trough the valve pipe.
U take out the valve and attach a hose and pump or blow the stuff inside the wheel.
Covers the tire up to the sides in a hight according to how much u fill inside.
Stops holes up to rebar size 1/4"(6mm).

And it works! I have had tires leaking, pumped it in, turned one round and its air tight.
Realy impressing. If u change tire, pour it into the new wheel and mount it.
Works as long as it aint to long in open air.
Consists of old tire rubber bits and a liquid with antifreeze and a vulcanition agent.(secret resepie)
I am very pleased with it and ad it to nearly everything.
Punctured tires is history by us.:)

Pay by the volume, volume is dependent of the wheelsize. Big wheels, cost much.
here is the website: www.tyreprotector.com

Last edited:

Serv

yea, I bought some stuff around the year 2000 called Multi-Seal http://multi-seal.com/ that worked ok. This product had some sort of fiber in it that sealed nicely if you had enough of it in the tire. These guys had one hell of a sales pitch. They said that the inventor of it originally designed it for delivering injections though astronaut space suits NASA, blah, blah. :D

These guys must be making a killing on this stuff because I recall paying about 2850.00 USD for a 55 gallon drum. :eek: I remember it being pretty messy to work with and a few times it got between the wheel (rim) and bead of the tire which resulted in the spinning the entire wheel/tire assembly when that slippery gunk got between there. I also had to buy this NASA grade hand pump from them that cost a bunch of money.

Looking back, that guy was one heck of a good salesman because that product looked just like a home brewed concoction of slime and paper fiber.

He sold it to me once and never called me again so I guess he did pretty good on that barrel he sold me. :D

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Same goes with us.
We bought it for the operations in Kosovo.

It is floating rubber, that is supposed to cure after a while.
Only thing hardening is the valve and valve pipe.:mad:
Makes it impossible to add some air or more of the stuff.

We have never bought that again.;)
Imaging trying to change the wheels on a 26.5 x 25 when u don't manage to press the wheel together enough to get the locking ring on the rims off..:Banghead

With forks and a 25t whelloader(L150C) we managed to compress the rings to get them off.
Today the tires and locking rings are loose, looks like the wheels are punctured.
We found out a ripper tooth and the PC210 is the only way to rip the tire and get the stuff out and of the rims.
Luckily we don't have many of those wheels left.

We tested the Tyreprotector on a couple of missions in Afghanistan and we are going for that from now on. It's waterbased so u only use water and off it goes.
And u only add a small volume inside each tire.
8.5 litres inside a 16.00-20. and ap 40 litres in a 29.5-25.

Last edited: