• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

For digging rock and tree clearing 977L, 963 or 973 with or without a 4 in 1

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Thought maybe there was some folks that had spent time in the 977l and then moved to newer machines. My 977l is going to be a farm machine(if I keep it). I want to dig up some somewhat soft limestone with it. Small stuff for roads big stuff for retaining walls. I just retired at 55. I have quite a bit of work on my place. I found this 1973 977L with a 4 in 1 for $8500 looks great. engine very good. I am trying to figure out if it would be a good machine to keep for the next 20 years or plan on getting a 963 or 973 latter.

Shawn

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Couple of thoughts/questions.

1. Approximately how many hours per year will the machine be required to work..?
2. What sort of price would you be looking at in your area over and above the $8500 for which you could get the 977L to "update" to a later model 963/973 if you went that route..?
3. Considering the later model track loaders are hydrostatic drive and contain much more in the way of electronics (therefore quite complex from a repair standpoint compared to a 977L) what level of maintenance ability do you have to keep the higher-technology machine running..?
4. Are you planning on keeping whatever machine you buy until it falls apart or would you be selling it on at some point..?

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
1. I would guess 300 or so.
2. It would cost $10,000 or more.
3. My skills are good with mechanical stuff. I had heard that the A and B series machines didn't have the computers and sensors. If they did have that kind of stuff it would be a deal breaker. I want to do the fixing myself for the most part.
4. I would like to keep the machine till it would not be cost effective to fix it.

Nige

I'm not so familiar on the earlier models of rear-engined track loaders - I thought they were pretty much all the same regarding electronics. Maybe someone else here with experience on them knows differently. Either way the hydrostat will be a pain (and cost major $) however it is controlled if it ever goes wrong.

Someone commented that at $8500 the 977L was a steal. Are you certain you could get an early 963/973 for about $2k more..? That doesn't sound right to me, but if it's true it sounds like folks don't like the early models of the rear engine loaders.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I ment the upgrade would cost $18,000 total. I have heard if the hydrostatic pump fails it could be $8000 not including labor!

Also in most cases Cat keeps selling parts for these once popular machines. Also there are allot of parts machines in boneyards. If those things stay true you could fix most things reasonably.

Nige

For something like a 977L there are a plethora of independent parts distributors outside the Cat system who will sell both genuine and "will fit" parts at a fraction of the Cat dealer price. One of them is Off Road Equipment who have supplied a number of HEF members. They are not a million miles away from you .......... http://www.offroadeq.com/

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Thanks for another good contact for parts Nige!
I like the fact they just specialize in Cat parts.
One of the reasons I bought this Machine is they made allot of them!
Shawn

Cmark

1. I would guess 300 or so.
2. It would cost $10,000 or more.
3. My skills are good with mechanical stuff. I had heard that the A and B series machines didn't have the computers and sensors. If they did have that kind of stuff it would be a deal breaker. I want to do the fixing myself for the most part.
4. I would like to keep the machine till it would not be cost effective to fix it.

You're right. A and B machines were mechanical. C series and later have a 'pooter.

Surprisingly, parts availability for early C series machines can be worse that for the earlier models.

Nige

CM - A & B machines still have a Hystat drive though, right...? I know you've posted on numerous thread regarding their diagnosis and rebuilding. Other than the electronic powertrain controls on the C I would imagine the hystat is the major bugbear for most owner operators, (if it goes wrong I mean) correct..?

Cmark

Yep. They're all hydrostatic.

All things considered, I don't think there's much to choose from reliability-wise between the mechanical and electronic control machines. With careful ownership they're all pretty good.

The problem with the HPCU in the "A" and B series is that it's unique to that machine (as far as as I know). Troubleshooting requires a fairly comprehensive, (expensive) set of pressure gauges and some knowledge of how the system works. Or a fairly comprehensive, (expensive) set of pressure gauges, shop manual, time, skill and patience to teach yourself how it works.

If someone is fixing a C or later series machine, they will need all of the above except a instead of a fairly comprehensive, (expensive) set of pressure gauges they'll need ET and a less comprehensive (cheaper) set of pressure gauges.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As to the OP, a 977L or K with a GP(General Purpose) bucket is a really handy machine just heavy and hard to get hauled or to maneuver in tight spots but will uproot a good sized tree with little issue. I have a MP bucket or 'Multi-Purpose' also known as a 4/1, does a decent job but is also heavy and cumbersome at times but a benefit as to moving trees and wads of brush where you can use the clamshell action to hold the stuff. My old machine is no where near to the same level as a 977 but does me well, wish I had a larger unit some days grateful when I have to work on it I don't.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Someday I may regret it but.... I love big machines! Not what they use in fuel and cost of parts though. I worked as a machinist/Millwright in a power plant till now. Lots of big machines to fix. I have a J.D. 450C T.L. thats an overgrown skid steer. Good for tight spots light work. Works great for plowing snow off the trails in winter, as long as they aren't iced over

precision dirt

Occupation
machinist, fabricator and owner of precision dirt
image.jpgimage.jpg
I have a 977l that I use quite often and for large scale brush and Really large trees and its a beast of a machine. It has worked beside a d6r and even a d7h and always seemed to have the upper hand at dealing with the big stuff mainly because of its reach. Anyways it's always been a very good machine with almost no problems at all, it just keeps going. If you found a machine that's in good shape that has a good engine trans and u/c for 8500$ I'd say jump on it, heck I payed 25,000$ for mine. Here's a couple pics of doing what she does best.

Last edited:

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Nice pictures P.D., are you using a 4 in 1 clam bucket on your 977l? I already bought this machine new pads and sprocket segments chain is shot. $3800 for a new set. I'm not in a hurry, just had my retirement party yesterday. I would love to find a parts machine!
Shawn

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Best I can tell the 977L has the same pitch as a D7E,F,G(38L) but one link more is the same pitch as a 973(40L) but one link less at 39L 8.5Pitch.

precision dirt

Occupation
machinist, fabricator and owner of precision dirt
No I just have a heavy duty general purpose bucket with very large teeth on it. Works really well after pushing large trees over then back up and hook into the root ball to give it a lift and drop. Sure does knock a whole lot more dirt off in the hole and less clean up.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
There were the earlier 977L series 11K that had 8.0 41L rail, series 14X, 64X, 95X, 48J and 70J were supposed to have 8.5. The 8.0 would also fit 977E,H,K, D7 and D7C series tractors but with length differences. With teeth a GP can still roll up a felled tree and support it to a pile.