• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

trickortrauma

I have a Ford 555 that runs great, hydraulics work like a champ, but I can't get it to budge either forward or reverse in any gear. The "Component" number is 19-802.

I bought the unit being told there was an issue with a "Valve Body". I went into the valve body that seats on top of the transmission hydraulic pump and replaced the springs and pins. Now the shuttle shift feels like it is more positively engaging forward or reverse and it would turn the wheels in forward but only with the outriggers down and then you could reach down and grab the wheels to stop them from spinning. The unit did not have enough power to move itself.

I hooked a pressure gauge to the testing port and didn't register any pressure at all. I had been told that there was a screen at the bottom of the gearbox that would get blocked up so I hooked an air compressor to the test port and got a good steady volume of air to pass out of the gearbox as the fluid was emptied. Put it all back together again and nothing, still no more wheel spin and still no pressure on the gauge.

I've read other threads where people talk about a wiring issue that leads back from the transmission. I've gone through my backhoe and the service guide and the only wires I can find associated with the transmission are for the neutral safety switch.

I've thought it might be the hydraulic pump but why would I get any wheel movement if that was gone? Someone else suggested clutches but wouldn't they fail independently and you'd have at least movement in one direction?

Any help someone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jimg984

does it have a button on top of lever that works front bucket? if so that controls the movement of travel both ways press button stop movement for dumping has a solioned
to bypass and stop must be hung or getting power all the find it under the transmittion and plug and try

Check Break

I have a Ford 555 that runs great ... I bought the unit being told there was an issue with a "Valve Body". I hooked a pressure gauge to the testing port and didn't register any pressure at all. I've read other threads where people talk about a wiring issue that leads back from the transmission.
There is a dump valve (valve body) on the exterior of your transmission case where you connected your pressure gauge to the test port. The dump valve redirects shuttle oil (and pressure) to the transmission sump when cycling the loader. There's two switches that control the dump valve solenoid; one on the loader wobble stick and one on the floor. If your dump valve is stuck open, you'll have no pressure and no forward or rearward motion. This is what jimg984 was talking about.
If there's no external oil leaks, your transmission fluid is at the full mark, your dump valve is closed and you have no oil pressure at all, there's nothing to test with a pressure gauge. Without line pressure you can't test the modulating valve (the valve you worked on). That leaves you in the position of splitting the tractor and paying careful attention to everything you take apart, starting with the flex plate, as you look for the source of your problem.
You should consider purchasing a Ford Service Manual before you dig into that transmission as it will save you a lot of aggravation and $$$. I should also mention there's a cover under the bell housing (if you haven't already found it) that you can remove if you want to look at the converter before splitting the tractor. Hope this helps.