• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 555d engine repair / replacement

msllc

ive got a ford 555d backhoe That has no real usable power to drive or power the hydraulic system on this machine. Can these engines be rebuilt in frame? Or, does it all have to come apart? The only other issue it has is that one of the brakes does not work at all. What all is involved with rear brake repairs on these machines?

jimg984

No the engine can not be REBUILT in frame,,, but can replace bearing, rings and have the head reworked,, this is not a REBUILT, for engine that is bad as you think it is,, what if replace those items and it still does the same thing? brakes may need adjustment,, you need a MANUAL AND DEEP POCKETS,,, other thing cause power lost, have you checked compression?

Delmer

Before thinking about rebuilding it, how does it start cold? how does the blow by look? how does the exhaust smoke look under full load?

msllc

This machine sat abandoned in a field for about 3 to 5 years with no protective exhaust cover / rain cap on the muffler pipe. I paid a meager $3000 for the machine & was able to work on it where it was to try to get it going. The main issue that left it not running was poor fuel. The glass sediment bowl was slap full of thick black sludge - thought to be pure algae. I cleaned out the fuel tank of all of that sludge, cleaned the sediment bowl & replaced the fuel filter(s) as well. I haven’t started it in about 3 years. When I first bought it, the engine would not even turn over at all. Through replacing the starter & messing with it, I was able to get it to start. Once started, the exhaust was blowing quite a bit of rust out of the muffler. I drove it home the following day. By the time I got it home, the breather tube was blowing pretty regular & engine oil could be seen spitting out of the tube, as well. Beyond just the breather tube issue, the engine really had no real usable power at all. I kind of thought that the cylinder walls / piston rings were scored / pitted from rusting.
I have not done a leak down test or compression test on this engine yet. I really want to pull the head & oil pan off this engine to inspect the cylinder walls. If not heavily damaged, I thought I might be able to replace the pistons & piston rings, along with all other gaskets / seals possible. Can the oil pan be dropped while the engine is still inside the frame?

msllc

I would use a flew home to break whatever glazing was present in the cylinders, while allowing the home to clean out any other imperfections too. I can pull this engine completely out, but I’m hoping for a time saving alternative, other than just another “all-in” engine repair project.

msllc

Is this the serial number of this backhoe? Or is this just another tag?? Please advise. Thx.

Attachments

• 2554390E-98FA-4B93-B66C-A972144342E6.jpeg
    2554390E-98FA-4B93-B66C-A972144342E6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Delmer

Sure looks like the serial number to me. And it sounds like you're "all in", nothing to lose by pulling the head and taking a look though.

I'd still check a few things first, even if you don't bother with the compression test. Will it start on it's own at 50F? if not, how about 60F? how smooth is it at idle? check the valves for clearance and proper operation, see if any of the cylinders are dead by shutting down the injectors one at a time (loosen the injection line at the injector). Maybe check your fuel pressure going into the injection pump. Does the "throttle shaft" on the fuel injection pump move the full range? does the engine reach full speed?

I would guess that the low power is more likely due to the algae than the compression of the engine, that's what I'd check out first. You may need a rebuilt injection pump and engine, but hard to tell yet.

msllc

Ok. I see what you’re getting at. Maybe the new (3-year old) filter was plugging up with that sludge again. I’ll check that glass sediment bowl & fuel filter for plugging up again. I remember it started easily & idled smoothly. I will see about checking it out tomorrow or the following day. I could put it to use pulling out tree stumps, if it’ll run strong & load onto a trailer.

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
That engine does not have sleeves BUT they are available if necessary the block has to be bored to install them though and No one can do that in the machine. They are a dry fit sleeve also and might have to be reboard after installation as they are very thin.

msllc

Understood. Just hoping for a simpler re-power of this engine with new piston rings, at the very most. I do like the idea of having a good backhoe around though. They are just so useful with any job that is going on. However, I wouldn't mind knowing that I did a job well done, if I actually have to go the full distance on this job. Should I take advantage of replacing the transmission seal while the engine is out at that time? Would you do it that way, too?