• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford F-650 GCWR

mitch504

Medium and heavy trucks aren't like pickups, F-650 doesn't really tell you much. There are many different combinations of engine, transmission, rear axle, springs, brakes, frame rail profiles, and etc.

Man with a plan

Yes, I understand that. But there has to be a way for me to know how much the truck will tow. Am I legal if the power unit weight is under the 26000 GVWR with a trailer in tow and the trailer is within it's rated capacity?

suladas

In most places there is no legal limit as far as what you can tow, provided you don't exceed any tire, axle, or hitch, etc ratings. It's more what you should tow without destroying the truck. Depending how it's speced i'd say somewhere around 30k lbs.

Hysert

Its usually determined by the tranny and axle ratio, i was recently looking at a KW T270 with a 31k GVWR, however it had a Allison 2500 and its GCWR was 36k.... ya same as a F550...

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
I probably would not compare a f-650 to an international 4700, but I got my truck rated at 37,000lbs GCWR. I do have an Allison MD3060 transmission and a 3.73 rear end. 17k or 17.5k rear axle on 19.5 tires, DT530E and an exhaust brake. Although I do have juice brakes I have had 20k behind me and feel confident with that.

Man with a plan

Thanks for all the responses. Redneckracin answered the question I asked in another thread about possibly buying a Ford F-650 and the reliability and stopping power of hydraulic brakes on that size truck. So thanks for that response as well.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I don't know how it is calculated. I can drive down the road with load on the trailer & say "I'm O K." Or "too much!"
I've been asking the same question years now. Never had a response.

I had a Chevrolet C65 1976 Tall Block 427, Eaton 5 speed, Eaton 2 speed rear differential. Never found a tow rating.
It was equipped with a 30,000 LB hitch. My sons & extra sons routinely towed 20 tons. Never had an issue, only slow climbs up 15% grades.