• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford New Holland 655E backhoe Shuttle Shift Issue

Baily Bryant

Our FNH 655E has the four speed with shuttle shift and the shuttle shift has quit working completely. We replaced the whole shuttle shift and that was not the issue. It was periodically blowing a fuse that controlled the shuttle and a higher amp fuse was put in place. Well the fuse did not blow this time but something else did. Anyway we fried something along the way? Any help? I can find very little online about this. Or anyway to jump it into gear. Just trying to get it to move so we can get it to the sale as we bought a new back hoe. This one has been a headache my whole life. Just trying to see it make it to the sale yard!

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Make sure the disconnect switches on the loader and shift handles are not shorted.

Here is a wiring diagram.
trans-electrical=diagram.jpg

Last edited:

eKretz

Sounds like you need to trace the wire harness and find where it's rubbed through and shorted to me.

eKretz

BTW, what size fuse did you put in after the original blew? Original should be 5A IIRC. And in a pinch you can just run 12VDC to the shift solenoids, they'll engage, but a little harsher than usual. Normal engagement is phased in gradually over a few seconds' time. If you just apply 12V it will be an instant shift. As long as the machine is idling it won't hurt anything, and will get you moving.