• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Forestry Equipment in Detail

HDX

This is the window track used on all these trucks. What will happen is the felt inside the window track wears out and will come loose and gall up
causing the window to bind--acts like a friction and makes it really hard to roll the window up. Another problem is the felt is completely worn out and the window will **** in the tracks. This is when extra force is used and the above pictures show what happens. I had explained awhile back
about using plastic snap ties inserted in the window track when the felt is badly worn and this is how you do it. All you do is cut the head off the snap tie and insert the rest of it into the track. This will tighten the window up and stop it from rattling or binding.
IMG_3519.jpgIMG_3520.jpgIMG_3522.jpgIMG_3523.jpg

HDX

These are the Hansen door regulators. One is driver's side, one is passenger side. These are their part nos. Second picture shows how to disable the locking mechanism they're manufactured with. You slide the latch to the unlock position, weld it up and grind it down flush.
IMG_3524.jpgIMG_3525.jpgIMG_3527.jpg

HDX

This last picture shows the door regulator for a 50's to mid-60's Hayes left hand door. There was a cut out in the door panel to allow this lock mechanism to be used. The driver would slide the little lock tab to the locking position, climb out the passenger door, turn the isolation switch off and if he was so inclined would lock the passenger door with a key.
IMG_3526.jpg

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Interesting stuff...I will clean mine up tomorrow and see if they are steel gear or plastic..I really like those door handles

64Pacific

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Someone with a lathe and a mill could fix those broken plastic sprockets...

HDX

Well as fate would have it I just happened to save a mitt full of the old ones WITH the steel gear just for that reason. when you come up next time I will show you and we can talk.

RCP57

Occupation
Well as fate would have it I just happened to save a mitt full of the old ones WITH the steel gear just for that reason. when you come up next time I will show you and we can talk.

You save stuff? NO, I don't believe it! ;)

Are they on splined shafts or ? Making splines would be a problem for my pea brain but I'm sure there are ways around that if need be.

dirty4fun

RCP57 All you would need is to buy a broach and tooling to make the splines. Sorry I can't help you I don't have one of those around. A friend and I bought a 3/8" x 10' Steelweld shear today weighs around 55K pounds. May have a hyd. press bought tomorrow also I think it is a 300 ton, I know there is no broach thou so will keep an eye out for one so you can do a production run.

RCP57

Occupation
Yes that's a great idea! If you happen to find a CNC mill, waterjet, and iron worker, could you bring them to please Jim?lol

You are right about the broach. Depending on the spline I'm sure one could be made to do the trick. I guess it's all about how many of these things would a guy really need as spares.lol

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Not to go ..na na nana na.....but I have all that stuff at work...I haven't used the company water jet to make car/truck parts for at least 24 hours now..Tomorrow is another day tho...

Any broaching we do is done using one of the presses.If we have the tooling..
I will look at the window gear this weekend and see how its indexed..

dirty4fun

Sounds like I might better look for a trailer for my motorcycle so I can bring a bigger load. I found out that a company is going to scrap a bunch of machines, and just can't stand to see something that someone else could use get scrapped. So far they have been good to work with can only hope that we can work out a deal so all feel good about the deal.

HDX

Good Luck Jim By the way you must have carried some weight while you were up here because they decided against cutting up that excavator you were talking to them about

furpo

I would have thought the simplest way to replace that gear would be to print one from an up rated plastic.

Also you can buy blanks that have a spline already machined into them. That or my choice to cut a spline is with a slotter.