• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Frame repair

Johndeere120

Been using a 1990s single axle Ford dump truck for a couple years now and where where spring hangers are, it rusted the frame through above about the size of a quarter. It hasn't gotten any worse I hardly ever load the truck I just haul equipment and even then only a few times a month. Question is should I clean it and leave it? I know most of the strengh is on the flange if you look at lowboys 80% of the web is stamped out on some brands. I also considered running a double frame. New rails aren't really an option at least until winter I'm way too busy but I know thats the only "right" way but this isn't a triaxle carrying 27 tons non stop this truck hardly gets used and I'm pulling a mini or backhoe not that heavy just looking for some opinions to hold me over. May start looking at other trucks too

Johndeere120

Will it pass a 49CFR 396.17-23 periodic inspectio
Will it pass a 49CFR 396.17-23 periodic inspection?
Everything on the truck is perfect except those holes. I just want advise on double framing it or somting but honestly I don't care about tickets or inspections im only in business for another couple years then moving to Europe permanently so if I was shut down now it doesn't affect me. Just want to make it safe for the remaining time

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Roger that. I hear ya, 5x5. Running dirty. That’s what I like.

This one time in Haines, I loaded 2200 gallons, but could only legally haul 1450. I was out of hours and out of patience.

Cause, it don’t pay, to go out the road, with half a load. But, I was half-lit. Cause, I was back on that sh$t. Popping those beans. The twelve step didn’t keep me clean.

Don't need a creeper cop trying to write me up. Hauling fuel across Alaska in a leaky tanker truck

Some Smokey and the Bandit shenanigans, right there.

Johndeere120

If it has one hole 99% chance it has a lot more problems.
Nope just some salt or mud problems over the years sat in the helper spring stoppers and went through in that one spot. I been over ever inch of the entire truck the rest of the frame is the same as when it came out of the factory.

Johndeere120

Sand blast it or wire wheel it-cut a patch twice the size-weld it--no fancy welding technique,
no crazy what if's. drive it.
Thanks! I was told since its a single axle and not super heavy that the frame isn't heat treated? I know a lot of frames say do not weld?