• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

FREE 977H - Can I Afford It?

bulletpruf

I spend a fair amount of time in FB Marketplace and have been looking for a vintage Cat dozer for a while, when this popped up - a 977H, listed as inoperable. It was on a 130 acre farm/ranch near Killeen, TX that some investors had bought. Farm/ranch went belly up and they sent in someone to liquidate everything, including the 977H. The liquidator didn't know anything about the 977H other than the fact that there was something wrong with it.

When I called him on Saturday to discuss, I asked how soon would he need it gone. He said it had to be gone by Wednesday morning. I think he heard my jaw drop over the phone. Then he said, "Look, you're the only one who's been serious about it, so if you can get it out of here by Wednesday morning, it's yours." Challenge accepted!

Headed there Sunday with a buddy of mine. Had it running and operating in about 2 hours; it just needed a jump start and track tensioner maintenance/repair. Left steering clutch is very weak, but it was getting better as I operated it a bit.

Anyway, got a lowboy out there on Tuesday and had it brought to my buddy's ranch near Fredericksburg, Texas.

Here's the video that I shot -

bulletpruf

Now for the not-so-good news -

-The undercarriage is not great. From what I can tell (along with what I'm hearing from others here), the sprockets are ok, but the rest is worn out.

-But the worst part appears to be the right final drive. The outside bearing cover is missing and the bearing hub/assembly is damaged. I suspect these parts will be expensive and perhaps difficult to source. Anyone know if Caterpillar would likely still have these parts? Is aftermarket an option? Also, is this something that I can tackle on-site with the appropriate tools and some help?

IMG_1347.jpgIMG_1348.jpg

image000000.jpg

bulletpruf

Depending on what you find in there you could be in as far as removing the 2M8304 dead shaft. And that will be fun - not........

This one is even more of a basket case than the other one you picked up.

I actually didn't buy the D7. I got it running and then walked away from the deal. That machine was in bad shape all over.

The 977 has issues, but I really don't think it's in the same ballpark as the D7.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I was referring to the other 977 you just aquired for nothing........or are you talking about the same machine.? If so why did you create two threads which only causes confusion.?

bulletpruf

IMO it's as big a POS if not bigger than the D7 was, and maybe has the possibility to empty your wallet even faster. My 2c - YMMV.

The D7 was roached. Plain and simple. There wasn't much on it that wasn't cobbled together, welded, rusted, tweaked, the hydraulics weren't working, the undercarriage was junk, etc.

The 977 still might be able to empty my wallet sooner, but that's not what I'm anticipating.

Welder Dave

Michigan is a long way from Texas....

View attachment 312313
The 1266D might be a better candidate to get working again. Worn out undercarriage is the number 1 reason old crawler dozers and loaders are parked. A farmer I know has an old cable D8 that runs great but he can't use because the undercarriage is toast and too expensive to replace. It could cost a few thousand just to fix the bad bearing and who knows what condition the finals and transmission are in. Maybe you could find used undercarriage?? Could maybe sell some parts off it but there's not a lot of demand for 1960's 977H parts. Hyd. cylinders could be sold to make log splitters, presses or other DIY projects.

bulletpruf

On the finals and transmission, it moves and shifts fine. Just doesn't like to turn left.

I don't plan to part it out; just don't have the facility and equipment to do that easily.

Used undercarriage is an option.

Thanks

Welder Dave

Moves and shifts doesn't necessarily mean everything is in good condition. Do YouTube video's make you enough to cover the thousands of dollars it costs to try and fix these old parked machines?