• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Frieghtliner FL70

Nac

Occupation
Construction
I just put a deposit on a 2000 Frieghliner FL70 it has 81,000 miles 6 speed trans, 3126 Cat 230Hp air ride rear 16' contractors dump body. The truck is in perfect shape and very clean. I am planing on swaping the body to put a 12' -14' hooklift on it soon. I have one question can a engine brake be added to this motor with out to much work or cost. And also what about a locking rear. If any body can help I would appricated it.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
exhaust brake real easy......... engine brake, more expensive, not easy.....in simple terms

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I can't help with the engine brake, but I do have a little concern about the 6 speed tranny. With any kind of load on the truck in hilly regions you will tend to become gear bound and unless the rear is real low geared, you'll have trouble on job sites. It sounds like a nice truck but I'm not sure it's too well suited for the job application you list.

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
Compression Brakes

Jake brakes, a.k.a. compression brakes were initially distributed and patented by a man named Jacobs. The original design work was done for applications involving cummins engines but the designs were broadened to work with cat and detroit engines.
The patents have expired now and engine manufacturers and aftermarket sources exist.
About 10 years ago I priced an aftermarket compression brake system for a NTC 400. The kit and install price ran about $2.2k, then.

Call Cat and ask if a compression brake is available for your engine from the manufacturer and call your local diesel shop and find out what is available aftermarket. Get a competent shop to do the install, tolerences for jake brake settings are as small as 3/17,000.

It is important to remember, the amount of braking horsepower an engine can produce is based on the engines hp. ( for instance: a cummins 600 produces more braking hp than a cummins 350.)

One additional note: I think small towns in western Canada may profit from the sale of brake shoes. There is nothing more annoying than coming down a 25 mile 8% grade and entering a town that has signs up that say, " Use of compression brakes prohibited." If jake brakes were good enough for John Wayne, they're good enough for western Canada. :cussing

Detroit locker makes limited slip and locking rears. We used their product in a mid size truck and were very impressed.

Good luck finding ( or modifying) the truck you need.

Last edited:

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Steve I agree with you that a 6 speed is a bit limited I was looking for a 8LL but was not lucky enough to find one that met my spec. The truck will be 90% of the time on road moving my stuff around that why I am going with the hooklift so i can put my mini or skid steer on the truck and do not need to pull a trailer. This is a starter truck for know hopefully buisness goes good and I will be getting a tandem Volvo VHD next year.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I did a little poking around tonight and it seems that only exhaust brakes are available for the 3126. These don't offer as much braking horsepower as compression release engine brakes, but are somewhat effective. I rigged up my F-350 to activate the butterfly valve to the turbo on brakin and saw a 15 mph drop in going down a steep grade without touching the brakes. Before the conversion I had to brake often down the same grade to stay below 60 mph.

I have to disagree with the suggestion that Jake brake hp is related to engine hp. It's more a function of engine displacement and valve timing. A Jake brake releases engine compression at the top of the stroke, allowing the diesel to generate vacuum which it normally does not do. This is what supplies the brake hp.

Two examples would be these: An engine which gains 50 hp by having the pump pressure turned up will not see a gain in braking hp, the same displacement and valve timing exist.

A 350 hp 92 Series Detroit will not have anywhere near the amount of brake hp that a Cummins NTC350 will due to the difference in valve timing and 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Thanks Steve I too did a little reserch and found only exhaust brakes also Pac brake and Jake brake makes them. Going to call around on monday to find some prices .

LaLaMan

If you dont already have a good diesel shop to perfrom some of the work for you, I recommend Miller Diesel in Dover (On Blackwell) And if you can do the hooklift yourself Bristol Donald does good work, stay away from T. Sanchez In Ledgewood, aka Beau Rock of Ledgewood.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
LaLaMan said:
If you dont already have a good diesel shop to perfrom some of the work for you, I recommend Miller Diesel in Dover (On Blackwell) And if you can do the hooklift yourself Bristol Donald does good work, stay away from T. Sanchez In Ledgewood, aka Beau Rock of Ledgewood.

I am going to take it to Franks GMC/ Frieghtiner to do a Pac brake. Bristol Donald does not do hooklift's, American rolloff is trying to sell me the hooklift they manufacture which does not met my requirments. Actully I did order it from Tony Sanchez there are going to install a 20,000 dual pivot Amphiroll hooklift there price was good and they only have a 1 week lead time not 6-8 like some others. Why do you say stay away from Tony Sanches I know a lot of guys with there body they all have no complaints.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
hooklift

Here are some pics with the hooklift mounted on my truck.

Attachments

• DSC00625.1.JPG
    DSC00625.1.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,027
  • DSC00626.1.JPG
    DSC00626.1.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,271
  • DSC00627.1.JPG
    DSC00627.1.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,030
  • DSC00629.1.JPG
    DSC00629.1.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,026

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
NAC, how is the 6 speed doing for you? I have been looking at single axle dump trucks to do similar to what you are doing and have been shying away from the 6 speeds. I am in a hilly area and thought I would have to have at least a 9 speed. It is good to hear from someone with a 6 speed to see how they like it.
Thanks in advance,
Bob

Nac

Occupation
Construction
It is a 14' body on there now but I can run up to 16'. The 6 speed is not bad I too was looking for a 8LL trans. As long as you have the power behind the 6 speed then you will be fine at least a 230 hp but I would go with more.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Thanks for the reply NAC. The CAT 3126 can easily go to 300hp. If you feel the need for more power, you might want to check with a reputable diesel shop and see what it takes. Sometimes it is simple and inexpensive.
Bob

Nac

Occupation
Construction
yes but is reliable power with out killing the motor?

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
They come with 300 hp from the factory in many applications. I am not familiar with what the differences are in a 3126. Sometimes it is as simple as a minor change in the injector pump or, if it is electronically controlled, a different chip in the ECM. Thats why you need to check with a reputable diesel mechanic. Some changes are expensive as they require different pistons etc.
My little 5.9 cummins easily goes to 300 hp with no damage to the engine. Stock it was 215 hp.
With any modification I would recommend an exhaust temperature guage so you can keep an eye on what the engine is doing. These should come as standard equipment on all trucks but they don't. They aren't expensive (around $200 for a good one) and only about an hour to hook up. They are also good for monitoring temp for shutdown so you don't turn the engine off too soon and ruin the turbo bearings.
I drove a truck with the stock 300hp 3126 and it really ran strong.

kamerad47

Diesel today are progam by computer the same block may have 4 differant Hp ranges, most are for trucking Co's with low Hp ,but you will have to bring it to cat or a auth dealer!!! This is not a pickup truck engine!!