• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

frieghtliners will electrical issues

truklodyte

Occupation
equipment opp
We currently have a 2005 frieghtliner buisness class with a caterpillar engine. All frieghtliner and cat can do is throw parts at it to correct problems.
This what it does acts like it has no fuel .lose of power.Replaced module to engine,replaced injectors,replace dash board cluster,Still nothing to correct it have and exact double of a truck . had one injector go bad other wise no problems.
Last claim by frieghtliner was truck was struck by lightning.(BS)
Hooked truck up to computer ,all we get is conflicting codes butno answers. Anyone out there know how to fix it without taking old paint out and shooting her!:beatsme:pointhead

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Just a shot in the dark here ..Bad engine grounds ??

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
You say a modula was changed, do you mean the ecm? if the codes are injector issues and all were changed, I'd bet on a failing ecm, have seen lots of these on cat BXS and early MXS engines. Hope they put newest flash file inwhen inj. were replaced. as Lee-online asks send us the codes.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I have seen wire connectors get moisture in them and lose contact.We had one that done that because the rubber seal was bad.And we had one where some wires run over the transmission were chafed

Komatsu 150

My experience is with Sterling, but since Freightliner and Sterling were all part of Daimler it may have some relevance. On two occasions we had the main hot wire feed to the computer fail due to internal corrosion and separation of the copper wire inside the insulation. This was without any external damage at all, found by testing wire. We finally ran a complete new wire from the battery. I know of at least two other Sterling trucks with the same failure in the area.

mitch504

My 2000 fl-60 with 8.3 did same thing it had a fuel supply line collapse internally.

Don't be certain because it is an electronically controled engine, that the problem is electronic. Sometimes people, and frequently dealership mechanics, make this assumption. Mechanical problems will frequently set codes, because the sensors are not seeing what they expect.

"When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses before you look for zebras"
don't know who said that but I use it.:beatsme
Good luck, Mitch

FSERVICE

just a thought

i had a frightliner that a mouse chewed the wires in the dash area hit a bump it would shutoff hit a bump the gauges would flutter it would not do the same thing 2 time in a row the dealer said it was ECM change it did the same so they changed it again then i lucked into finding what was wrong with it i turned on the heat one morning when i took it for a test drive yellow insulation off the wires blew out the vents ( i can laugh about it now)

rw4fun

I am currently working on an '04 Sterling 10 wheeler with a Caterpillar C7 that keeps going in to "Limp Mode". The ECU derates the power, and the truck can barely pull itself. We have sent this truck to a CAT service center, as well as to two different Freightliner dealers. So far we have gotten these answers and repairs over the last year, but we still have the same problem. These are the answers the dealerships have given us so far, and the repairs performed.

1. Wire above transmission chaffed.
Wires repaired, protective sleeve installed.
2. Wire to fuel pump sensor bad.
Replaced wire. (2 different dealers, and repaired the same wire in house. X3 total.
3. Turbo waist gate failed.
Replaced turbo.
4. Injector #5 failed.
Replaced Injector.
5. Coolant Level Sensor failed.
Checked Coolant level.
Replaced sensor.
Checked wires.

Here we are, nearly $4000 later, and still no answer. Anyone else with these same problems?

rw4fun

Limp Mode, '04 Sterling

I am currently working on an '04 Sterling 10 wheeler with a Caterpillar C7 that keeps going in to "Limp Mode". The ECU derates the power, and the truck can barely pull itself. We have sent this truck to a CAT service center, as well as to two different Freightliner dealers. So far we have gotten these answers and repairs over the last year, but we still have the same problem. These are the answers the dealerships have given us so far, and the repairs performed.

1. Wire above transmission chaffed.
Wires repaired, protective sleeve installed.
2. Wire to fuel pump sensor bad.
Replaced wire. (2 dealers, and once in-house, x3 total.)
3. Turbo waist gate failed.
Replaced turbo.
4. Injector #5 failed.
Replaced Injector.
5. Coolant Level Sensor failed.
Checked Coolant level. (daily)
Replaced sensor. (x2)
Checked wires. (several times)

Here we are, nearly $4000 later, and still no answer. Anyone else with these same problems?

Lee-online

When it derates, what is the code it gives?

It does sound like an electrical issue.

I have seen a problem with the 12 pin connector when the harness coming out of the rocker box plugs into the engine harness. What i have seen is the wire broke off where it was crimped to the pin or most of the strands had broken and even the pin was not a tight fit into the socket on the other end.

I remove each wire to inspect them that way i know they are ok.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
engine problems

When it derates, what is the code it gives?

It does sound like an electrical issue.

I have seen a problem with the 12 pin connector when the harness coming out of the rocker box plugs into the engine harness. What i have seen is the wire broke off where it was crimped to the pin or most of the strands had broken and even the pin was not a tight fit into the socket on the other end.

I remove each wire to inspect them that way i know they are ok.

I have felt the PAIN, I had a 2000 Sterling with a 83L ISM, Cummins engine. I spent about $9000 on it, it would derate and it may or may not run OK the next time you start it. I had all the sensors changed, injection pump, injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines, etc
The shop finally decided to change the wiring harness to the engine, that corrected the problem, I think this was one of the cheapest things they did, it was like $500. They ohmed the wires before and everything was OK
Then the driver wrecked the truck HUMMMMM, and no insurance to cover the damage
Good Luck

rw4fun

Lee, the only code that has been active other than the ABS that is constant, is ECU 128. Yesterday I ohmed out the water level sensor and it now shows a constant open, yet after a master reset, the truck is running fine today.

truklodyte

Occupation
equipment opp
Ok here is an update as follows.New dash cluster,new module,new fuel line from tank to secondary fuel filter(so now we have to huge cannister fuel filters),rebuilt supply pump,replace some of the injectors(nothing wrong with just changed them)replaced some of wiring,Fixed fuel guage sending unit( plastic ball fell off in tank),replace ecm and ecu. Lame duck excuse truck struck by lightning."BS"You will be amazed at repair total so grab a tube of KY and a hand full of sand.Over 10.Bosses are ready to junk the truck if this doesn't fix it!
In a short note they have replaced the entire fuel system

jake1234

I have seen problems like this and someone finally checked the fuel tank and found pieces of a paper towel. I had a pete that acted up and finally took the fuel lines off and blew air through them had several stones and alot of black crap come out, fixed the problem. it had a bottom sump for a pickup.