• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

From Demolition to Land Clearing

petersfamilytru

My little John Deere 490E is a versitile little machine when the Shamrock Grapple is attached. I just left a demolition job and went directly to clearing land entirely with the Excavator. I push the trees over with the machine, because is makes dealing with the stumps so much easier. Then I cut off the stump and limbs, pile them up to be burned and deck the logs.

I would recommend a Shamrock Pirhana grapple to anyone with an excavator. Burn piles are so much nicer, because there is no dirt. Try that with a bucket and thumb.

www.petersfamilytrucking.com

Attachments

• Excavator of land clearing job for forum.jpg
    Excavator of land clearing job for forum.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,947
  • Excavator of land clearing job for forum#2.jpg
    Excavator of land clearing job for forum#2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,408

newjcb123uk

Evil fire! (not)

Some people prefer to grind, but I'm burning the debris and hauling out the wood.

God! - would be so nice to live in a country where people don't want to lock you up in jail for burning some brush wood. I recon that red tape, rules and regulations, and law gone mad will prosecute us soon for passing wind:ban - do something for us people with common sence over here and the next time you light a fire make it twice as big and twice as smokey:notworthy - nice deere - over here it's an Hitachi - are they just badged deere or do deere actually make them over there??

rino1494

I have no problem piling brush with a bucket and thumb and keeping the dirt out. :beatsme

cat d9

Occupation
manager and general FO in general
I use a 42" GP bucket matched to a ACS progressive link hydraulic thumb mounted on a 790E LC to do the same thing, no dirt in the tree pile. We burn all of it cause there is no market for the wood. To cleanup the brush and small sticks I use a brush rake on the front of a D7G, we get a little dirt in this part but it is all at the outside perimiter of the pile and when the pile is burnt there is very little left to bury. Nice JD but just a little too small for me.

stumper120

you guys are harsh on the poor guy. to small, maybe the operator. he obviously has a diversified work load going from demo to logging and found somthing that works well for him. i once dropped of my machine off to a demo job and had the homeowner ask how i was gonna do it with a bucket.:Banghead and yes i had a thumb. i have run excavators with those grapples and they are great for grubbing. plus it ways less than the average 4 prong thumb with a 36 inch bucket combo giving you a little more lift for moving more material.:usa

petersfamilytru

Bucket and Thumb vs Hydraulic grapple

I have a couple buckets and a thumb for that "cute little" 490E and I've used that combo on many occasions. However, if you are digging stumps, stacking trees on a landing, and putting the debris in a burn pile, the bucket/thumb combination doesn't come close.

I have a Komatsu PC-220LC, but this little machine is much more suited for these jobs. I will haul my D6D in from another jobsite tomorrow. I already have my brush rake at this jobsite, so we should really be gaining ground over the next few days!

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Throw up some pics of that 220. Dash 6? FWIW, 490E's are a great machine, the D's were good too.

greywynd

That 490 is the same size as the 9010 that I'm considering right now. Compared to my 4400 lb mini, it seems big enough! :D

Guess there must be a job it's suited for, or there wouldn't be near as many of them around?