• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel Storage

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I am looking into setting up fuel storage at my shop, something like two tanks, one for off road and one for road fuel. What are the legal requirements for this? Double wall vs single wall? Some seem to say that farm use allows a single wall, while other commercial use requires a double wall or single with containment.

IceHole

Whatever rules will be a local or state thing. DEC or fire marshal

Around here, there's hundreds and hundreds of ~300-500 gallon single wall tanks feeding heaters.

Double wall is nice, but $$. Mine is a 1000 gallon single wall. 1/4" thick though.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
In my experience, it’s often the Fire Marshal or your insurance company who are most interested in your tank. What capacity are you considering?

Some random thoughts:

Double wall, STI type tanks
hold their residual value, well.

Put your tank on “wheels” and enjoy the AST regulatory loopholes regarding on-site fuel storage. Like a Western Global Trans Cube.

UN 31 A/Y 350 or 550 gallon stainless iBC tanks make great fuel storage for “cheap”.
Don’t purchase a new one, purchase a lease tank or one that needs a retest or a minor repair.
Often a better option, than a rolled mild steel 12ga one from the feed store.

Tugger2

My shop diesel tank is 500 gallon single wall.i built a containment tank for it ,just a box using 1/4" plate 125% of the round tank capacity. And I keep it under cover.Its worked for me for many years .

Acoals

Occupation
AST regulatory loopholes regarding on-site fuel storage

1) What is AST?
2) What are the regulations that there are loopholes too?
3) What are the loopholes? I like loopholes.
4) I have a crummy trailer or two laying around, suppose I park on it something like this:

Coaldust

Occupation
#tank life. I’m just using the lingo to sound cool.
AST is above ground storage tank. Vs a UST, or a portable tank. All have rules to follow.

But, put that AST on a road legal trailer, and it’s no longer a AST. You can’t tow it with product,…… The assumption is temporary job site fuel storage. It’s a regulatory grey area.

Now, if you tried to rub your Fire Marshal’s nose in the matter, I’m sure the municipality or powers that be could find something. But, that’s how fuel distributors get around the AST requirements for supplying a tank to a customer, in a regulatory rich environment, for full service.

Coaldust

Occupation
Really comes down to two choices. Can either spend the dough for a UL142/NFPA30 double wall or purchase a non-spec 12 gauge. Either one can be the right choice.

Our HEF brethren are very creative with their storage tanks. And that’s cool. I cringe at some of the stuff people post, because of my first hand experience with spill response and the economics of clean-up.

AllDodge

Probably against the rules but I have a 300 Gal plastic Tote sitting inside my Barn on top a empty one. Truck that fills it has never said anything

IceHole

In my experience, it’s often the Fire Marshal or your insurance company who are most interested in your tank. What capacity are you considering?

Some random thoughts:

Double wall, STI type tanks
hold their residual value, well.

Put your tank on “wheels” and enjoy the AST regulatory loopholes regarding on-site fuel storage. Like a Western Global Trans Cube.

UN 31 A/Y 350 or 550 gallon stainless iBC tanks make great fuel storage for “cheap”.
Don’t purchase a new one, purchase a lease tank or one that needs a retest or a minor repair.
Often a better option, than a rolled mild steel 12ga one from the feed store.
Didn't know that about tank on wheels.
One place I worked at, that's what they had until last year when a big $$ tank setup was put in by Inlet. Computer fob things, the whole works.

A huge PITA as lot of us are "temp" workers and they only gave codes to maybe 10 full time folks. I end up just parking it and writing it up for low fuel.

IceHole

Probably against the rules but I have a 300 Gal plastic Tote sitting inside my Barn on top a empty one. Truck that fills it has never said anything
Probably won't unless it's a ridiculous setup as it's not their problem.

I don't have any requirements at work for filling lube tanks. Passes the "looks sound and holds fluid" test, good to go.

IceHole

Really comes down to two choices. Can either spend the dough for a UL142/NFPA30 double wall or purchase a non-spec 12 gauge. Either one can be the right choice.

Our HEF brethren are very creative with their storage tanks. And that’s cool. I cringe at some of the stuff people post, because of my first hand experience with spill response and the economics of clean-up.
During the earthquake a guy I know had hit tank fall over and drain out.

He made the mistake of filling out forms for earthquake aid (whatever it was called, forgot now) and mentioned ~250 gals of fuel drained.

Before he knew it, his yard was dug up and he was handed a $40,000 bill, which was what the earthquake aid didn't cover.

Fuel company spilled ~30 gallons at another place I worked this fall. Overflowed the tank. That was $80k to clean up.

Acoals

Occupation
#tank life. I’m just using the lingo to sound cool.
AST is above ground storage tank. Vs a UST, or a portable tank. All have rules to follow.

But, put that AST on a road legal trailer, and it’s no longer a AST. You can’t tow it with product,…… The assumption is temporary job site fuel storage. It’s a regulatory grey area.

Now, if you tried to rub your Fire Marshal’s nose in the matter, I’m sure the municipality or powers that be could find something. But, that’s how fuel distributors get around the AST requirements for supplying a tank to a customer, in a regulatory rich environment, for full service.

So what exactly are the "Rules to follow"? I kind of deduce that single wall tanks, what I think you are referring to as "Non-spec 12ga tanks" are not really legal, unless in a farming application? (Or sitting on a trailer)

Coaldust

Occupation
So what exactly are the "Rules to follow"? I kind of deduce that single wall tanks, what I think you are referring to as "Non-spec 12ga tanks" are not really legal, unless in a farming application? (Or sitting on a trailer)

If your tank is for personal domestic use, there are not any legalities. Unless a spill happens.

Commercial use is a different story. The rules are NFPA30. UL142 spec tanks are built to NFPA30 specs. One trade organization, STI, created the commonly used inspection protocol to “certify” NFPA30 tanks.

I have more to say about that, later. Meanwhile, this lovely lady shows us how a simple trash bag can be used for gasoline storage.

IMG_9606.jpeg

Coaldust

Occupation
Didn't know that about tank on wheels.
One place I worked at, that's what they had until last year when a big $$ tank setup was put in by Inlet. Computer fob things, the whole works.

A huge PITA as lot of us are "temp" workers and they only gave codes to maybe 10 full time folks. I end up just parking it and writing it up for low fuel.
Probably a unit I assembled. SkyBitz Smart Tank. Not a huge fan of SkyBitz, but managers and bean counters love the data.

Coaldust

Occupation
During the earthquake a guy I know had hit tank fall over and drain out.

He made the mistake of filling out forms for earthquake aid (whatever it was called, forgot now) and mentioned ~250 gals of fuel drained.

Before he knew it, his yard was dug up and he was handed a $40,000 bill, which was what the earthquake aid didn't cover.

Fuel company spilled ~30 gallons at another place I worked this fall. Overflowed the tank. That was $80k to clean up.
Look at all the reported HHO ( home heat oil) releases.

I’m super careful about home heat tanks. That’s a terrible thing to tag your property with and rough on G-Maws vegetable patch.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
How many gallons do you need/use?

I took a truck transfer tank and mounted that onto a custom steel skid with lifting loops. It has a 20 gallon Fillrite pump, filter, and gauge, and a 12 volt deep cycle battery and extra long hose. Mostly used in the shop/storage area, but sometimes mounted on my equipment trailer or in my truck, or left at a residential job site. This is just for my mini excavators and track loaders. Too small for me to fill my Kenworth and International up. However, now I find I don't use it much as I already have transfer tanks in my service truck.

IceHole

Probably a unit I assembled. SkyBitz Smart Tank. Not a huge fan of SkyBitz, but managers and bean counters love the data.
Uses little yellow fobs. Thinking Pussi (hehehe) but I might be wrong. Metal box you scan the fob after typing employee ID and it asks for truck miles then turns on the pumps.

I found out Inlet did it cause several Signature guys had sweatshirts that winter. I was like WTF, I work for the place and don't even have a shirt! Apparently spending big bucks on tanks included a couple shirts

We use SkyBits on some lube tanks but man it's like pulling teeth to get them.
Have a customer that uses around 15,000 gallons of 15w40 a year and still haven't been able to get a monitor for the tank... it's one they usually wait till it's blowing air to call and I get busy and don't get a chance to go check every few days.

IceHole

Look at all the reported HHO ( home heat oil) releases.

I’m super careful about home heat tanks. That’s a terrible thing to tag your property with and rough on G-Maws vegetable patch.

Crowley knocked off the copper feed pipe to the Toyo on a rental and it slowly drained the tank.
The shop has a window facing that was and I thought it was strange the snow was melting so fast... till the renter called saying no heat.

Had smelled diesel a bit at the shop, but all sorts of equipment around, so wasn't an unusual smell.

Wouldn't believe how well the grass grows there now. May as well dumped fertilizer.