• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel treatments

Fuel Treatments

• Always run a premium fuel

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Pour in an otc additive regularly.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Pour in an otc additive occasionally.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Never or rarely use an additve or premium fuel.

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

dayexco

tuney, i don't need to visit any websites. we typically run 8-10k hrs on our equipment before we trade them in. i've YET to do any injector/pump work on anything other than a 7.3 ford turbo in a pickup of ours that had 170k miles on it. as i said before, if it makes you feel better to buy, use the stuff, have at it!!! my experience has shown me it doesn't make economic sense for us to do so.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I was listening to the trucking radio this morning and they had somebody on discussing the '07 fuel and it's impacts. The gist that I got from it was that nobody is totally sure what effect it'll have on the older equipment (everything before '07) yet. One thing I heard was that the new fuel tends to have a "solvent effect" and will clean out your fuel system - and deposit all the crud in your filters. They said we'll need to change out the filters alot at first. I've heard that same thing about higher percentage bio-diesel. Anybody experience that firsthand? Dayexco - sounds like you did fine, could you notice any difference between bio and petro diesel?

puredieselpower

Occupation
I build Pole Buildings
couldn't the major fuel companies put additives in before they ship the fuel out?

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
Absolutely. And they do. The question is to what extent, quality, amounts etc. Same with suppliers and jobbers at the other end. Dayexco's supplier is a good example of a jobber that very likely puts good additives and/or his terminal does as such.

There are many good additives and many that provide next to nothing. Lubricity, anti-corrosion, injector cleaners, biocides, detergents, cetane improvers, anti-gels, deicers are some. The questions to ask a jobber, supplier, or manufacturer of additives is which additives, how much, how many and what quality. It cost them money to put additives in and most put some in.
The better quality and number of additives they put in the lower their margin, the better the fuel.

dayexco

orchardex, i buy ethanol and bio diesel because #1, i live in an ag state and want to support my local economy, #2, i've done the plant piping for 3 ethanol plants. ethanol on air cooled small engines has caused us some vapor lock grief, not bad, liveable...and i can't notice a bit of difference in performance/economy with bio diesel. anytime the govt. mandates something, there are those who rush with the "sky is falling" scenario. i'm going to cross that bridge when it comes. i'm not going to worry about it until then. should i have the lubricity problems or other problems that have been mentioned in this thread, i'll first talk to my vendor, and if he nor any of his competitors address it, i suppose i'll end up buying whatever additive necessary to meet my needs. but i refuse to waste money on something that i don't need at the moment.

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
"i refuse to waste money on something that i don't need at the moment."
And there lies the rub.

dayexco

"there are those who rush with the "sky is falling" scenario. i'm going to cross that bridge when it comes". and there's my response

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
With dayexco running bio there is no need for an additive except for biocides if he is storing for a while. I run an additive in my personal truck, but I wouldn't even think of it in equipment. That $$ could best be spent on a bypass oil filter which can double the life of your motor not some stupid additive the may help some.

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
One point that seems to be overlloked here is the cost of additives is less than the fuel economy gain. You will save money by using less fuel.

dayexco

can you give me some substantiated data? like a cost per hr. in using these fuel additives. i'll give you an example....i have one piece of equipment that burns 8 gals per hr. religiously, today's price on dyed fuel was $2.51. how much per hour can your additives save me? and is there a guarantee to the savings? it's a no brainer, if you can guarantee me that my cost per hr. in fuel costs will go down, i'll buy it!

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
First off am not trying to sell you guys anything. In fact Schaeffers changed policy on me making it difficult for the time being to "sell" new customers over the net. I am a believer in fuel treatments and certainly ours. I have seen way too many documentations proving it. And way too many documented inconsistencies in fuel.
First hand I have a fleet of 30 trucks that saved over 40k in fuel costs last year using our fuel treatments.

Here is the math

8 gal per hour times 8 hours times 2.51 equals $160.64 in fuel costs a day.
5% economy gain 7.6 burn times 8 hours times 2.51 lowers the fuel cost to $152.60
3% $155.82
1% $159.03
treat cost is a penny and a half per gal (wholesale)or in this case 12 cents per day.
Even at a 1% increase you'll save money and do your machine some favors.

In this case a 5% economy gain working 250 days a year

less152.60
plus.12

$7.92 times 250 working days equates to a yearly savings of $1980.00 on this one machine.

Just a moderate 3% gain comes u to a yearly savings of $1175.00

i think my math is correct.

And yes I guarentee my customers a 4% economy gain.
I have never had to pay off.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
How much do you have to buy to get the wholesale price?

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
Retail Pricing ( which i can order for you)for our treatments for the 137 premium diesel treats is $155 for a 4/1 gal case (treat cost 2 cents per gal). Each gal treats 2000 gal of fuel or 24/16 oz case a bottle treats 125 gal of fuel.
$156.
Orders over $300 of any combo of products gets free shipping. Under 300 will incur an additional hazmat charge.

if you can find a local dealer you may be able to get wholesale pricing while the same 300 free shipping or under plus shipping will apply.

puredieselpower

Occupation
I build Pole Buildings
I wanted to take a second to thank you for putting my order together. I know that it was a small one compared to what you are use to, but i am very happy with services none the less. I have been running the soy shield, noticed a huge improvement in the way the truck runs and sounds, plus big fuel gain while towing ( estimated 1-2 mpg ).

Just wanted to say thanks .:notworthy :thumbsup

jughead

Occupation
retired
fuel

someone correct me if i am wrong but i have read 2 or 3 articles that say sulphur has no lubricating properties. the problem is the process that removes the sulphur also removes the lubricity of the fuel.