• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 150 Refurbish

ichudov

I concur. Cable, brakes (swing, winch, wheels, etc), full inspection on everything (god knows if it's been rolled, welded, stressed just before failure).......then an OSHA inspection. I'll have that done when finished......I would feel horrible if I sold it and missed something.

I have never had such an inspection. I called our Grove dealer and he said an inspection would be something like $1,000. Plus I am sure that I would fail this inspection for any kind of reason.

My question is, are there some mobile crane mechanics who can take a look at my crane and identify problems that are not so expensive? Just to get me started towards making this crane secure?

I do not care as much about OSHA inspections, as such, because I do not plan on using this crane in construction. But I do want it to be a generally safe machine.

BobCatBob

I have never had such an inspection. I called our Grove dealer and he said an inspection would be something like $1,000. Plus I am sure that I would fail this inspection for any kind of reason.

My question is, are there some mobile crane mechanics who can take a look at my crane and identify problems that are not so expensive? Just to get me started towards making this crane secure?

I do not care as much about OSHA inspections, as such, because I do not plan on using this crane in construction. But I do want it to be a generally safe machine.

I would call your local crane service provider and ask for help. Do you have a full set of manuals? Those are a great start to understanding what to test and how to check it.

OH....as a side note.....do your run a military info site? I was searching for a M116A2 trailer cover and a Igorchudov.com popped up.

ichudov

I have a "free military manuals" website at http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/ All manuals there are free to download and re-share as you see fit.

I also have a collection of all other manuals at igor.chudov.com, and some pages with descriptions of my projects there as well, you may have come across that.

BobCatBob

Cab is almost done! Seat, steering wheel and the "cab"........almost ready to turn the key. I installed the drive shafts over the past two weekends (painted, installed new u joints) along with all the cab lever connections. Having fun! Included a picture of my shop mate.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Last edited:

BobCatBob

Got her fired up over the weekend!! I initially turned the key to start her (been 9 months since run), crane is completely re-wired.......and nothing. No clicking, nothing. I opened up the new fuse box....and ignition fuse was blown. I initially though something was wired wrong, but then remembered a heavier gauge wire went from ignition switch to starter solenoid. I realized at that moment there was no relay in the circuit (prior and current). I had one lying around, added it into the circuit......engine started immediately (phew). About 15 seconds after starting, one of the few remaining hoses that needs to be replaced let go (of course). With any project like this, it's always a planning and solution game.

Having fun!

IMG_2417.JPGIMG_2415.JPG

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
LOL old hoses will get you every time!

I went and looked at an old TD9 IH with a loader it. Man was the owner out of his mind! Stuck engine, sat for over 15 years, track frozen and adjusters at the limit. Guys demanding 4K. I told him what he can do with it........

Rick

td25c

Well done BobCatBob !

Words don't justify your ambition & total rebuild on the crane .:salute

Nice color on the crane ....... I think you got the perfect match light green paint on the Detroit Bro ! :thumbsup

Oom Sam

Hi Bob your
I found the reason the hoses on my crane broke the Gleason reels springs broke, I could repaired one and got it working ....
do you know of any ware I can buy 2 new springs, also OEM hose the set I cot here is not the right hoses even if the supplier is trying to convince me it is the right stuff.

Regards Sam

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hi Bob your
I found the reason the hoses on my crane broke the Gleason reels springs broke, I could repaired one and got it working ....
do you know of any ware I can buy 2 new springs, also OEM hose the set I cot here is not the right hoses even if the supplier is trying to convince me it is the right stuff.

Regards Sam

You could try to contact them at:

http://www.hubbell-gleason.com/engprod/hosereels.html

BobCatBob

Hi Bob your

Regards Sam

Call Jake or Phil at Crane Contractors Co. in Houston, TX : (800) 736-2381

Give them your model number (model # is on the floor, left of your seat). They ship internationally and have been fantastic. I've bought every part I've used from them (except the engine overhaul and a master cylinder booster). Their prices are good, technical help excellent. I bought the boom hoses from them and yes, they are completely different than a normal hydraulic hose (and not that expensive). They'll have the OEM springs for the gleeson real.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Bob still watching this with great interest. Quick update on my stuff. I threw in the towel on farming. Been doing grandpa's daycare for a 2 yo and 2 8 yo grand daughters. There was getting to be a conflict so farming got cut way back. Keeping most of the equipment to include the backhoe but got rid of the live stock and I'm letting a nephew farm most of the ground. On the good side I may be picking up an old dozer. Waiting now for another HEF member to get back to me on the details. Who knows, I may actually got to the point of restoring something!

Rick

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Bob I did buy that dozer, old D4 Cat. Soon as I figure out how to post pictures from windows 10 I'll put one up.

Rick

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Going to do some work with it first but yea, I think I'm going to rebuild/restore it. Maybe start late next summer.

It's a 1947 D4 7U Serial number is very low 7U18.

Rick